The Rugby thread

MisterC

If it's a shite 6 nations then Townsend has to go. I think he has Scotland playing good rugby when it comes off, but when it doesn't it's an utter shitshow. I'd like Stuart Lancaster to replace him, a good coach doing a good job coaching at Leinster 

English Rugby is genuinely ridiculous though. They are a basket case and were lucky they didn't win the World Cup otherwise they would have been in serious financial difficulty. How do you even get in that situation when you have over 2 and a bit million registered players and a kit deal that is pretty much the same as the All Blacks one.

England should by rights be the best team in the world by a mile but have made some massive mistakes since professionalisation. They should have kept club rugby at a local amateur level and turned the County Championships semi-pro and had 5-6 professional teams play in what is now the Pro14. Instead they have let the clubs get too big for their boots.

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Deservedly relegated but salary caps are a shit show and the Premiership should have been on to it earlier. They have effectively ruined a season by pissing about until now.

Sums it up for me too. The Premiership knew clubs were at it and gave them a slap on the wrists a few years back but ultimately did nothing.

No sympathy for Saracens at all. They knew they were bending the rules and intensifying their dominance. All that culture and values nonsense they espouse as well gives you the boak.

As for the salary cap, get rid of it, it's a nonsense of a rule and ways tend to be found round them as we have seen!

3 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Sums it up for me too. The Premiership knew clubs were at it and gave them a slap on the wrists a few years back but ultimately did nothing.

No sympathy for Saracens at all. They knew they were bending the rules and intensifying their dominance. All that culture and values nonsense they espouse as well gives you the boak.

As for the salary cap, get rid of it, it's a nonsense of a rule and ways tend to be found round them as we have seen!

The biggest issue I have with Saracens is for all that cash I found them fucking boring to watch. If you are going to break the salary cap do it in style.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

The biggest issue I have with Saracens is for all that cash I found them fucking boring to watch. If you are going to break the salary cap do it in style.

I agree, it's far too attritional and as you say not much style. A bit too thuggish as well at times but in saying that I dont mind seeing a scrap! Jamie George seems a decent bloke though 

2 hours ago, MisterC said:

Scotland squad were permitted a few drinks on sunday night but Finn kept drinking and ignored warnings to stop drinking. He then missed training on monday and was told he wouldn't be playing in the Ireland game. 

Maverick, he trys and executes some outrageous moves on the park.

8 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I agree, it's far too attritional and as you say not much style. A bit too thuggish as well at times but in saying that I dont mind seeing a scrap! Jamie George seems a decent bloke though 

I'm all for thuggish rugby, but i'm more of a Southern Hemisphere fan of league style back line plays and big boppers laying hits on runners. Thundering into people for 65 minutes up front for minimal metres and then running over teams in the last few minutes bores me to death. 

9 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Superb player on his day, some of the stuff he pulls off is amazing. That nutmeg and try v Munster last month was unreal to use a recent example 

I just youtubed that, first time I have see a nutmeg at the rugby, his little disguise passes are suberb fuck knows how his team mates expect them.

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He was woeful as Australia coach. 

He couldn’t get the Montpellier job so he’s now gone to be an Assistant in League.

Seen that I thought he done a decent job with Australia tbf. Think he got every ounce out of a very average bunch of players.

2 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Seen that I thought he done a decent job with Australia tbf. Think he got every ounce out of a very average bunch of players.

He had a good season in 2015 with the core of the side being his 2014 Waratahs team. But they won the cut down Rugby Championship that season (it was a WC year so only played one round) and were lucky in the sense they got SA and NZ at home and Argentina away.

But since then its been a disaster. When he started the Australia job they were 3rd in the world rankings, by the time he left they were/are 6th. They got beat by Scotland at home in Sydney and got thrashed in Edinburgh.

I just looked up his win loss record against the 6 Nations sides. It's abysmal for an Australian coach. 1 win in 9 against England, 1 win in 2 against France, 1 win in 5 against Ireland, 2 wins in 4 against Scotland,  2 wins in 2 against Italy. Only won 6 in 22 games against NZ and SA too. 

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 18:42, MisterC said:

I see Duncan Weir has been called up to replace Russell. A long overdue return for wee dunky who is, I am told, one of us..  

So is Finn. Met him at the front doors of Ibrox just before an OF game. Chatting to Johnny Hubbard and happened to look up and see Finn, most fans I think didn't notice who it was.

1 hour ago, ayrshireranger said:

So is Finn. Met him at the front doors of Ibrox just before an OF game. Chatting to Johnny Hubbard and happened to look up and see Finn, most fans I think didn't notice who it was.

Knew that, him and Johnny Gray have been seen at Ibrox a few times

Interesting article over on the rugbypass site regarding Finn Russell. One particular line caught the eye saying that Russell is said to be surprised that Townsend is still in a job following the poor 6 nations and the world cup debacle. I get the feeling Russell is disillusioned by Scotland under Townsend, its been said that there was a lot of unhappiness in the squad before and during the world cup. I'll be surprised if Townsend is still in place by the end of the year.