Anybody else miss the old Ibrox?

Thermopylae

3 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

literally every older bear has a story about being pished on at games, "pish" is the most used word in these threads :lol:

I take it the pubs in town after matches were stinkin? :lol:

Back in the day drink and football went hand in hand.....it was the cultural norm. Hardly anyone had a car or drove to games so it was easy to get full of it because you travelled on the RSC bus. You were also allowed to take drink onto the bus and easily sneak it into the game.

so when you have had a few beers and you needed a pish it wasn't so easy to make it to the toilet because you would be standing and packed in like sardines - so the only option was to pish where you stood... on someones leg or in a can or bottle. Sounds nostalgic but mainly it was howling, I missed a few games as a young lad, blind drunk and being left on the bus to sleep it off :lol:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

My old man took me to watch Rangers v Ayr Utd  around about 69. Was 9 at the time. Anyway, we were standing in the Derry, which became the Centenary stand and is now the Govan. Half an hour in to the game and someone from further back threw what appeared to be half a greasy pie and it skelped my old man on the back of the kneck. He was fuckin ragin, turned and shouted “who the fuck was that, ya fuckin arsehole ye?” Some cunt shouts back, “shut the fuck up ya dick” haha

iI was afraid to speak to my old man for about an hour after that but as the years have went by I’ve related the story to everyone. Even my old mum found it amusing.

Glesga banter mate , ye cannae beat it  :mutley:

Seriously mate , I was just first year at secondary school when I started going regularly with a group of mates , sometimes just a  couple of us and some games about a dozen and no matter what , you couldn't help watching what was happening on the terrace as it could turn mental quite quickly . some guys seemed to take offence at getting called a clatty bastard for pishing where they stood :lol:  

I'm not sure if I miss the old ground much or if it's just because we were all young with no worries , At the recent cup tie at thistle my seat was near the front at the halfway line where all the young team gathered so we ended up standing all game , no hardship for my boy who loved bouncing about but my old legs were fuckin killing me afterwards so I think it's back to sitting now for me but I'd love it if the younger Bears could enjoy the same sort of experiences that we had . Except the cans of pish , soggy rolls & flying pies !

31 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Seriously mate , I was just first year at secondary school when I started going regularly with a group of mates , sometimes just a  couple of us and some games about a dozen and no matter what , you couldn't help watching what was happening on the terrace as it could turn mental quite quickly . some guys seemed to take offence at getting called a clatty bastard for pishing where they stood :lol:  

I'm not sure if I miss the old ground much or if it's just because we were all young with no worries , At the recent cup tie at thistle my seat was near the front at the halfway line where all the young team gathered so we ended up standing all game , no hardship for my boy who loved bouncing about but my old legs were fuckin killing me afterwards so I think it's back to sitting now for me but I'd love it if the younger Bears could enjoy the same sort of experiences that we had . Except the cans of pish , soggy rolls & flying pies !

It's a really good point I think it's impossible to unravel the two for example I will always see Souness's first season as sparkling but I was only 20yo at the time and it would be hard to remember it any other way 

27 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I'm not sure if I miss the old ground much or if it's just because we were all young with no worries , 

at least you got to experience it mate :thumbsup: getting pished on every week doesn't sound great but id give anything to experience old Ibrox just once, closest many of us youngsters have came to it was the terraces  at Berwick :lol:

My old man was not one for showing great affection, mans man if you like and he scared the shit out of me at times, so I knew exactly were I stood with him.

He took me to Ibrox the day Sellick were playing Thistle in the League Cup Final 1970. When the half time score from Hamden was announced I jumped on him and he held me and we savoured the moment. All sounds a bit gay I know, ha

Those moments were pretty rare though but he was a massive Rangers man and if it wasn’t for him god knows who I’d be following. Respect.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

My old man took me to watch Rangers v Ayr Utd  around about 69. Was 9 at the time. Anyway, we were standing in the Derry, which became the Centenary stand and is now the Govan. Half an hour in to the game and someone from further back threw what appeared to be half a greasy pie and it skelped my old man on the back of the kneck. He was fuckin ragin, turned and shouted “who the fuck was that, ya fuckin arsehole ye?” Some cunt shouts back, “shut the fuck up ya dick” haha

iI was afraid to speak to my old man for about an hour after that but as the years have went by I’ve related the story to everyone. Even my old mum found it amusing.

for some reason this reminds me of the 3-2 old firm at Ibrox when the tims could have won the league at Ibrox and we battered them. I took my Mrs at the time to the game and we had a right swally before it and we were in the enclosure, this was just when the sectarianism law was being introduced, when I got to my seat I shouted "Right Rangers intae these fenian bastards!" at the top of my lungs, and a few rows in front this tall older guy turned and pointed at me and went "oi!..." and I shat it thinking this guys offended and is going to grass me in, but the guy smiled and went "SMELLY FENIAN BASTARDS!" I was relieved and the crowd around us had a good laugh. 

what a day that was tho, we fucking hammered them when they should have won the league at Ibrox that day, the scoreline flattered them, Lennon got sent out the dugout by the ref and didn't take any interviews after the game

after the game I was I the Toby Jug and was outside having a smoke, a bus pulled up full of taigs and the polis got on and started searching the bus, a guy shouts "look under the front of the bus, Neil Lennon under there" and instantly another guy shouts "no he's no! He's in the Ibrox car park, with Charlie Mulgrews weans!" :lol:

7 hours ago, marco negri said:

Chipmonk crisps. The old guy who carried the board around the track at half time with the winning programme numbers on it. Just the smell of the place was different to, to what it is now.

Seem to remember that the back of the centenary stand was open as i remember looking up and see folk looking down? Is that right? Would have been about late seventies early eighties.

looking down  :mutley:   cunts were pishing down, dodged the bastards many a time

3 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

at least you got to experience it mate :thumbsup: getting pished on every week doesn't sound great but id give anything to experience old Ibrox just once, closest many of us youngsters have came to it was the terraces  at Berwick :lol:

every week??  When there were European games you'd be pished twice a week at least 

18 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

when were the blue seats put in? I'm sure i can remember the coloured seats but I started going to games about 92 or 93

96/97 I think. When the screens went in in the corners.

It was already all blue by the time of my first game - which was 99. I used to love watching games on the TV with the grass bank in the corners with the big Umbro / Admiral / Adidas and McEwan's Lager signs on them and the brick wall.

On 10/13/2017 at 07:42, Johnny Dangerously said:

My old man was not one for showing great affection, mans man if you like and he scared the shit out of me at times, so I knew exactly were I stood with him.

He took me to Ibrox the day Sellick were playing Thistle in the League Cup Final 1970. When the half time score from Hamden was announced I jumped on him and he held me and we savoured the moment. All sounds a bit gay I know, ha

Those moments were pretty rare though but he was a massive Rangers man and if it wasn’t for him god knows who I’d be following. Respect.

Fuk all gay about it M8, your dad would have defended you with his life, that's what a  'safe space' was back then and none of this wee poofy millennial bullshit.   Was at that game as well btw, Ibrox was bouncing and the noise got louder with every Thistle goal.   

3 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Fuk all gay about it M8, your dad would have defended you with his life, that's what a  'safe space' was back then and none of this wee poofy millennial bullshit.   Was at that game as well btw, Ibrox was bouncing and the noise got louder with every Thistle goal.   

Yeah, your right bud. It was one of those moments in time that you never forget. It’s funny how you can’t remember what you had for your tea yesterday but you can recall an incident from over 40 years ago vividly. Ha

25 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Yeah, your right bud. It was one of those moments in time that you never forget. It’s funny how you can’t remember what you had for your tea yesterday but you can recall an incident from over 40 years ago vividly. Ha

46 years ago next week and we beat Motherwell 5-1 that day, IIRC Graham Fyffe got a hat trick.

3 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

46 years ago next week and we beat Motherwell 5-1 that day, IIRC Graham Fyffe got a hat trick.

You know I couldn’t remember the actual score always thought it was 4-0 after drawing 0-0 at half time. But I defo remember being there and the moment I shared with my old man.

5 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

These two were probably the two tipples that football was built on, preferred the EL-D myself to Lanliq but sometimes bought Barchester cream or Old England, ah halcyon daze of your youth! 

image.thumb.jpeg.f8aa349bd8f5bb2b9337428e1d09d8f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.75bc1db14857963473498a8dddae7dbc.jpeg

image.jpeg.70cf08dee27ee191f4d377e738e06db8.jpeg

I did a wine tour in California a few years back, and the tour guide couldn’t understand why I was so excited when he said the area we were in was called “El Dorado”.

I didn’t even attempt to explain.

17 hours ago, harlands plater said:

I did a wine tour in California a few years back, and the tour guide couldn’t understand why I was so excited when he said the area we were in was called “El Dorado”.

I didn’t even attempt to explain.

Hands across the sea :Fod: