Couple of questions that are doing me head in. Help please.

Right, first one: The pass back. It has to be a "Pass back" in the literal sense doesn't it? Or at least it did. Eg, a defender on his goal line could pass the ball forward and his keeper could pick it up. I may be wrong, or it may have changed over the years. Am I right on this or is this an old law that got changed?

The other one is an offside question. Scenario: two players have beaten the offside trap, they are baring down on the Kepper player a) has the ball, player b) is there to either receive a square or just put the Kepper off so player a) can dummy then just pass it into goal. So player A passes the ball to player B, the ball moves forward, its not "squared" so player B is receiving the ball from an offside position. Is that correct too?

8 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Right, first one: The pass back. It has to be a "Pass back" in the literal sense doesn't it? Or at least it did. Eg, a defender on his goal line could pass the ball forward and his keeper could pick it up. I may be wrong, or it may have changed over the years. Am I right on this or is this an old law that got changed?

Ignore answers from previous posters showing extreme taig-like refereeing behaviour by making it up as they go along.

The definitive answer is:

The offense rests on three events occurring in the following sequence:

The ball is kicked (played with the foot, not the knee, thigh, or shin) by a teammate of the goalkeeper,

This action is deemed to be deliberate, rather than a deflection or miskick, and

The goalkeeper handles the ball directly (no intervening touch of play of the ball by anyone else)

When, in the opinion of the referee, these three conditions are met, the violation has occurred. It is not necessary for the ball to be “passed,” it is not necessary for the ball to go “back,” and it is not necessary for the deliberate play by the teammate to be “to” the goalkeeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

8 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

The other one is an offside question. Scenario: two players have beaten the offside trap, they are baring down on the Kepper player a) has the ball, player b) is there to either receive a square or just put the Kepper off so player a) can dummy then just pass it into goal. So player A passes the ball to player B, the ball moves forward, its not "squared" so player B is receiving the ball from an offside position. Is that correct too?

The obvious answer to this one is that the game should be stopped immediately, and both players given a red card to cover their modesty, unless one of the players is @tannerall in which case a second, and possibly third red card will be required.

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Ignore answers from previous posters showing extreme taig-like refereeing behaviour by making it up as they go along.

The definitive answer is:

The offense rests on three events occurring in the following sequence:

The ball is kicked (played with the foot, not the knee, thigh, or shin) by a teammate of the goalkeeper,

This action is deemed to be deliberate, rather than a deflection or miskick, and

The goalkeeper handles the ball directly (no intervening touch of play of the ball by anyone else)

When, in the opinion of the referee, these three conditions are met, the violation has occurred. It is not necessary for the ball to be “passed,” it is not necessary for the ball to go “back,” and it is not necessary for the deliberate play by the teammate to be “to” the goalkeeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

Aye, I get all that. But the actual back pass, did players not get away with this in the beginning to get round the rule? Hence why the word "back" was entered into the rules?

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

The obvious answer to this one is that the game should be stopped immediately, and both players given a red card to cover their modesty, unless one of the players is @tannerall in which case a second, and possibly third red card will be required.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The first one is just called the pass back rule because it cut out the time wasting from players doing it constantly near the end of the game 

The second one, as long as player b is behind player a he'll never be offside, no matter how the pass is played 

You 100% on that? I'm sure I've seen an offside called, just recently in fact, because the ball moved forward. 

5 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

You 100% on that? I'm sure I've seen an offside called, just recently in fact, because the ball moved forward. 

As far as I'm aware it doesn't matter which direction the ball is played as long as the receiving player, in the scenario mentioned, is behind the player who plays the pass.

On 03/12/2017 at 09:46, Redwhiteandblue said:

You often see the ball played diagonally forward towards the far post and a player tapping it home almost in the line.

As long as the scorer started off level with, or behind the guy who made the pass, he won’t be offside.