Three foreigners. Great result.

Blue_Devil

5 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

Absolutely. 

Think the semi was the one Mcoist scored after Robertson was sent marching early doors?

But aye the game has changed out of all recognition now bud. That team were truly outstanding. Also what will seem strange to a lot of younger bears is they were self policing as well. Sure Walter was feared and respected in equal measure but can you imagine guys like Gough, Brown, Mcoist or Ferguson tolerating guys like Dean Windass? No danger. Nobody wanted to leave ffs! Not for more money and we were NEVER under pressure to sell to anybody. 

Never seen a more unified group of players before or since and just look what they achieved eh. 

Different days indeed mate . Walter was able to shuffle the 3 non scots about without weakening the team (2 in reality because big Mark was a stick on to play when fit ) and those who weren't playing , bearing in mind only 2 outfield subs , never spat the dummy and all contributed during that time . The young boys we introduced also never let us down when called upon . As much as I loved the enjoyment of watching Gazza and the great Dane performing in a Rangers shirt , The 92-93 season is the one that stands out for me from the 9IAR years .

That was the biggest game in British football at that time and I remember McCoist and Hateley being interviewed immediately after it finished. The interviewer innocently asks them if they would be enjoying a few refreshments tonight to celebrate. It was old firm fixture at the weekend and quick as a flash Mcoist quips "No we've got to get up the road, we've got a big game at the weekend " :lol: . Fkn priceless!

2 hours ago, pcbear said:

How did you wangle that one, dugout/directors box?

Can’t answer for Fishtank, but a girl who used to work for me had 2 tickets in the Hundred Club at Leeds.

Morning of the game came round & she announced that her husband couldn’t go - would I like to?

We were there with her dad & he had 3 or 4 Bears down as his guests.

Excellent night, including getting to talk to a few players after, John Greig (in the gents) & helping Peter Huistra out when he was trying to find Walter!

As mentioned earlier, just look at the quality of Scottish player in the 92/93 side though and imagine trying to replicate that today, let alone at one club?

Goram, Robertson, Gough, Brown, McPherson, Durrant, McCall, Ferguson, McCoist as the mainstays. McPherson was the weakest link but we would kill for a defender like him today.

Pretty sure we put away a bucket-load of goals that season too. Seemed to score 4 or 5 in every second league game. And to go 10 games undefeated in a Champion's League where every team was the actual reigning champion of their league was some achievement with 8 Scotsmen on the park.

12 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Absolutely agree with that mate . Was getting misty eyed yesterday describing that season to my son . From that day we lost at Dens park up until the game against the tarriers the following spring , was just an amazing time to be a Bear . No matter the circumstances , that squad always gave us the belief that they wouldn't be beaten . The spell around the Leeds games when we won the league cup against the sheep and went to the san giro and won 1-0  epitomised the mental strength that Walter had instilled in the players . 

FWIW , I think the previous seasons SC semi-final win over that lot , playing with 10 men for 85 minutes in a monsoon was what set the standard for what followed .

Without a doubt Fred . The best period of sustained dominance I have ever known from Rangers

15 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Chicken, egg paradox, are Scottish players NOW of a much poorer quality due to too many foreigners, or do we only sign foreigners because Scottish football is producing no (very little) talent?   

TBH not sure I know the answer but there appears to have been a major decrease in the size and quality of talent pool rolling off the Scottish football production line, the decline started in the 70's IMHO. 

I think the talent has got less but there is also something to be said for foreign players being brought in strangling opportunity for Scots. They have had the same debate about England and the EPL curbing the opportunities. Probably a combination of both.

re Leeds away -  McCoists goal is my number one goal every time That question asked. A thing of beauty. 

15 hours ago, Gazza1212 said:

Absolutely. 

Think the semi was the one Mcoist scored after Robertson was sent marching early doors?

But aye the game has changed out of all recognition now bud. That team were truly outstanding. Also what will seem strange to a lot of younger bears is they were self policing as well. Sure Walter was feared and respected in equal measure but can you imagine guys like Gough, Brown, Mcoist or Ferguson tolerating guys like Dean Windass? No danger. Nobody wanted to leave ffs! Not for more money and we were NEVER under pressure to sell to anybody. 

Never seen a more unified group of players before or since and just look what they achieved eh. 

At least they would get his name right