Katic

DavieMacRFC

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

He was stepping up to win a long  high ball as centre halves should. His issue, if any, was not decisively winning it. 

Not when there's 3 players in behind him, he should be leaving that to Coulibaly and covering in behind. 

You're right, he should be winning it once committed.

Just now, BlueMe said:

No he's not. If he's closer to his man, he doesn't get that header in. 

If he's too close to his man there, his man can get a run off him. Getting touch tight 12 yards out is asking for a ball between the goalie and CB that turns the CB and just needs a slight touch. Touch tight at 6 or 7 yards, yes, but not at 12.

Standing off a bit in that situation so you can attack the cross isn't bad positioning. You'll are good CBs do it all the time. His problem was he was maybe too slow to get off his mark to attack it, not to mention that it was a very good ball.

4 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Not when there's 3 players in behind him, he should be leaving that to Coulibaly and covering in behind. 

You're right, he should be winning it once committed.

Gough would take balls like that from his midfield routinely. So would Amo, Butcher etc, largely because they're better in the air and better positioned to attack it. The defence drops to cover. As they all had done, and that would all have been fine but for Worrall being fouled and a player benefitting from being 3 yards offside.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

If he's too close to his man there, his man can get a run off him. Getting touch tight 12 yards out is asking for a ball between the goalie and CB that turns the CB and just needs a slight touch. Touch tight at 6 or 7 yards, yes, but not at 12.

Standing off a bit in that situation so you can attack the cross isn't bad positioning. You'll are good CBs do it all the time. His problem was he was maybe too slow to get off his mark to attack it, not to mention that it was a very good ball.

It was a cracking ball in, and Worrall probably just does enough to put him off. But imo, if he's a bit tighter and attacks the ball, then the attacker doesn't even make the header. 

Worrall is young and he's obviously going to improve, but he's far from the finished article and i wouldn't say he's been good enough for us so far. Katic starts ahead of him every day of the week for me.

Poor man-management from Gerrard on this one. You could argue that Katic should always be ready to play and today’s performance won’t ever be acceptable but he dropped him for no apparent reason when he was playing extremely well and had reached a good level of consistency only to then not just be rotated for the odd game but miss the next 3 or 4. Hopefully he gets another chance and can reach the level he was playing at previously. 

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

It was a cracking ball in, and Worrall probably just does enough to put him off. But imo, if he's a bit tighter and attacks the ball, then the attacker doesn't even make the header. 

Worrall is young and he's obviously going to improve, but he's far from the finished article and i wouldn't say he's been good enough for us so far. Katic starts ahead of him every day of the week for me.

Worrall and Katic are both good but imperfect.  Looks to me like Gerrard sees something he likes more in Worrall though.

Shocking man management from Gerrard today I thought. No need to take him off like that, would’ve killed his confidence because he was having a poor game, not as if Worrall is or was any better anyway. Goal conceded because he changed the defence with 10 minutes to go. 

Just now, Prso's headband said:

Shocking man management from Gerrard today I thought. No need to take him off like that, would’ve killed his confidence because he was having a poor game, not as if Worrall is or was any better anyway. Goal conceded because he changed the defence with 10 minutes to go. 

There's no way the goal is conceded because he changed the defence.

The boy cuts inside in front of Rossiter who makes a half arsed challenge, and he scores a screamer. 

It was a strange change by Gerrard though because if he was concerned by Katic he should have been off earlier. There was probably 3 subs I would have made before Worrall for Katic at that stage.

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

Seems a little harsh to blame a CB sub for that kind of strike.