Willie Henderson LEGEND

Blue Nosed Babe

Went to school with his daughter Michelle and was devastating to hear the news years later in the papers. Always used to tell her that her da was a legend according to my da back then, as I was too young to remember him. 

My da always said he was the best player of that era, and that was with barely having a scrap of eyesight and contact lenses not being available yet.

Was there not a famous story of him going to the away dugout during an old firm cos he was that blind he didnt realise?

Another hero of mine. A true legend.

You'd go to games just to watch him. Was always a big debate as to who was best between him and Jinky.

He's done his bit over the years in fundraising, but the fucking Sahara at 75 takes some beating and all credit to him. Fucking sweating at the thought.

I'll stick to trekking from the front door to the car and just do donating.

11 hours ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

As if this man was not enough of a Rangers Legend, he is, for his 75th birthday trekking across the Sahara to raise awareness and money for cervical cancer.

Legend!

Met him years ago about 15 in the govan stand. An absolute gent and a proper ranger.

He's raised a fortune over the years for cervical cancer.

He was such a hero to my 1960's pre-teen self that I would read and re-read his book.  I remember to this day the first paragraph of the first chapter, saying he was so happy at Rangers he'd never leave.,

I also remember throwing the book out when he left (okay, at that time I may not have understood the politics of players / ,managers / board).

Still a Rangers legend though

11 hours ago, lewislaudrup said:

Im doing the west highland way later this year. Was gonna do it for just the sake of it but i wanna see if i can raise some cash for erskine. So will set that up in the summer

does the guy from Scott Cunningham do that every year for Guide Dogs for the Blind - he used to drag along a bunch of ex players.

Had the pleasure of sitting down and having a chat with him and Colin Stein the last time I was in the Thornton Suite with my old man. Time of day for everybody and amazing to see how fond they are of each other and the club as they told some old stories. Way before my time but my Dad taught me and I’ll be teaching mine as well. Proper legend. 

2 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Had the pleasure of sitting down and having a chat with him and Colin Stein the last time I was in the Thornton Suite with my old man. Time of day for everybody and amazing to see how fond they are of each other and the club as they told some old stories. Way before my time but my Dad taught me and I’ll be teaching mine as well. Proper legend. 

Wee Wullie Used to tell a story about Crag Brown asking, "Mr Symon why am I always in the third team?" 

to which Scot is alleged to have replied: "because we don't have a fourth team."

16 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

You'd go to games just to watch him. Was always a big debate as to who was best between him and Jinky.

Good thing was they were totally different the way they played. Jinky was as his name suggested able to beat a man by trickery and small, sharp movements. Willie on the other hand was probably the quickest I have ever seen at facing a left back and waiting till he moved and was past him while the defender was unbalanced. He was incredibly fast over that first 5 or 10 yards and once he was past he was gone. Fantastic striker of a ball on the move or at a standstill. Also had the ability to beat a man with skill as well as pace.

Difficult to sum him up without sounding over the top but he was that good. When Slim Jim and Eusebio rate you as a great player you know you have it made.