Helander

Chosen_One

The one that was a possible red.

I think Goldson seems to move wide, thinking Helander has a couple of yards head start, so in his mind he's making himself available for a pass. Fucking mental if so, just block the run. Helander did have a head start and looked slow. Imo a red card. Utter pish from both of them.

2nd half the long ball through the middle showed both up badly again. It's far too easy.

No wonder McGregor was raging at the pair of them.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, thehost said:

you didn't see an assured, combative, good distributer …. when he played for us?

that's what I saw

He looks like a  relatively talented player but looking good in a few pre season friendlies and a game against East Fife doesn’t mean he should immediately be bumped up to a starting centre half.

We didn't judge the bounce of the ball on that shite pitch. Both Helander and Goldson looked uncomfortable all night. The fact the ball sat up so much meanth elbows and his team mates could clatter our guys regularly and dive around looking for freekicks as the game was scrappy as fuck. 

My thoughts early on were Katic would dominate the air better so get him on before we get a red card 

8 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

Aye agree mate. Helander shld be experienced enough to accept a balling tonight as he was terrible in 2nd half. Jones different, more raw so expect him to be up and down but still think he cld be useful option

Jones is older than Helander. 

16 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He looks like a  relatively talented player but looking good in a few pre season friendlies and a game against East Fife doesn’t mean he should immediately be bumped up to a starting centre half.

No but it does give enough to know he is quicker than the two blokes currently in that position.... I like my CH speedy.... we have the two slowest ones out there

Playing against the players of Feyenoord with the same mentality as himself he looked assured enough , he’s been bullied every spl game so far though , maybe my source that I was lambasted on here for passing on the info that he’s a diddy wasn’t to far away after all , only time will tell 

1 minute ago, Mr Soprano said:

Messrs Nesta, Weir and Chiellini say hello.

those three would have been skinned, by that fucking horrific CF too

thanks for making my point

modern football requires more than physical presence 

the better the league the more pace they need, the fact we are choosing two slow blokes, who cant deal with a poor and non-pacey CF, seems bizarre especially when we have two, relatively, quicker CH's in our squad. Logic would dictate that you would have a least one on two compensate for the weakness of the other

14 minutes ago, thehost said:

those three would have been skinned, by that fucking horrific CF too

thanks for making my point

modern football requires more than physical presence 

the better the league the more pace they need, the fact we are choosing two slow blokes, who cant deal with a poor and non-pacey CF, seems bizarre especially when we have two, relatively, quicker CH's in our squad. Logic would dictate that you would have a least one on two compensate for the weakness of the other

You’re a crackpot man.

Think it’s just Symptomatic  of modern  day football that Centre Halves struggle to an extent with Route 1 Football.

The days of Big brutes at Centre halves just there to header everything away are long gone.

Watching our youth teams it’s just as important now that they’re very comfortable on the ball as it  is that they’re dominant in air.

Didn’t see the game last night but interesting to hear the comments about Helander. 

Lets see what happens for the next match. 

For now I am sticking with the view that we have four good Center halves and I am not sure which 2 are the best...... but Katic is in the top 2. 

6 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Think it’s just Symptomatic  of modern  day football that Centre Halves struggle to an extent with Route 1 Football.

The days of Big brutes at Centre halves just there to header everything away are long gone.

Watching our youth teams it’s just as important now that they’re very comfortable on the ball as it  is that they’re dominant in air.

If I was a manager I would follow the idea of having one of each who form a partnership.

Ferdinand and Vidic and Terry and Carvalho are probably the best examples of it that I can think of. None of them were “weak” as such but the more prominent old fashioned qualities of Terry and Vidic matched up and balanced so well with the more cultured approach of Ferdinand and Carvalho.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If I was a manager I would follow the idea of having one of each who form a partnership.

Ferdinand and Vidic and Terry and Carvalho are probably the best examples of it that I can think of. None of them were “weak” as such but the more prominent old fashioned qualities of Terry and Vidic matched up and balanced so well with the more cultured approach of Ferdinand and Carvalho.

I can’t think of any Centre halves playing at top level nowadays that play like old fashioned Centre Halves.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I can’t think of any Centre halves playing at top level nowadays that play like old fashioned Centre Halves.

I’m struggling too but I think it’s what we still need because of the type of football we are up against most weeks. I think our strongest and most well balanced partnership is still Katic & Goldson, but Goldson is horribly out of form at the moment.

Archived