Priorities

To Be A Ranger

4 hours ago, TMB said:

It has nothing to do with prioritising one competition over the other IMO.  The team Gerrard put on the pitch yesterday was very close to our strongest team.  We had Kent, Defoe, and Morelos all on at one point and still struggled to break Motherwell down.  Arfield and Aribo seem out of form and the King loan hasn't worked out.  An attacking central midfielder should be high on the shopping list when January comes.  Ojo and Barker look all pace with no end product too so a quality RW would be welcomed.  

Send King and Ojo back to their parent clubs and bring in a couple of different options in those areas.

Agree somewhat however King has barely been given a chance and Aribo seems to be played too deep - yet seems more effective for the Super Eagles when used in an attacking role.   What position did King typically play at Leicester -- could he be swapped for Arfield to give the latter a rest?? 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Agree somewhat however King has barely been given a chance and Aribo seems to be played too deep - yet seems more effective for the Super Eagles when used in an attacking role.   What position did King typically play at Leicester -- could he be swapped for Arfield to give the latter a rest?? 

I never seen King play for Leicester but I heard he was a box-to-box type with a good goal scoring record.  Sounds like a player we could use but there must be a reason why he’s nowhere near the first-team.  If he doesn’t get a chance between now and the turn of the year I can see his loan being terminated early.

5 hours ago, TMB said:

I never seen King play for Leicester but I heard he was a box-to-box type with a good goal scoring record.  Sounds like a player we could use but there must be a reason why he’s nowhere near the first-team.  If he doesn’t get a chance between now and the turn of the year I can see his loan being terminated early.

I believe he played a total of 170 first team minutes last season on loan at Derby which possibly explains his lack of playing time  here and makes the loan signing very strange.

57 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Ah, but league is the priority over cup so we should be puting out  a weakened team next Sunday surely :sarcasm:

No, I was speaking about the Europa cup old chap. :happy: 

Winning the L C would be a great help to our players IMO because it seems to me that they can play well in Europe because they have much less pressure on them, but when they are playing in the league (Hearts & Motherwell) they do not seem to play as well, and my belief is it is the pressure of the games that is causing that, so full team out on Wed and Sun.

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

No, I was speaking about the Europa cup old chap. :happy: 

Winning the L C would be a great help to our players IMO because it seems to me that they can play well in Europe because they have much less pressure on them, but when they are playing in the league (Hearts & Motherwell) they do not seem to play as well, and my belief is it is the pressure of the games that is causing that, so full team out on Wed and Sun.

I don’t think it’s the pressure I just think that our style of play is better suited to Europe where the teams we are playing are less physical and in your face and they actually try and play football.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t think it’s the pressure I just think that our style of play is better suited to Europe where the teams we are playing are less physical and in your face and they actually try and play football.

I think you have a point there, but I honestly feel so many of our players have never won anything and the pressure on them to stop the tarriers making 9 and of course 10 is effecting them. It is all about opinions but it does concern me that some are not able to cope with that.  

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Very good point. Both us and the scum have had a few struggles with hammer thrower teams especially after euro games. Maybe we need a couple of hammer thrower type players to combat this although I’m at a loss to think if we even have any players like that in our team. 

6 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

The Tim's seem to manage playing almost the same team midweek then at the weekend.  I dont see how we cant. These are young professional athletes.  They should be able to handle 2 games a week no problem. Davis seems to be able to handle it...

It's three games a week mate but I take your point............ Can I just add that I trust out manager SG to rotate the squad in each game ......... he knows who is playing well in training , showing the right attitude etc........ basically ,I trust our manager.

20 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Very good point. Both us and the scum have had a few struggles with hammer thrower teams especially after euro games. Maybe we need a couple of hammer thrower type players to combat this although I’m at a loss to think if we even have any players like that in our team. 

Step forward George Edmundson and Jon Flanagan

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Fucksakes mate.  Both those guys don’t take prisoners. Lost ma heid. Your right! 

Obviously Im not the manager and dont see our guys on a daily basis but on what  Ive seen so far Edmundson looks like he could play a few positions and can certainly make a pass, I would  certainly be giving him a run out  starting on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Zappa6995 said:

Obviously Im not the manager and dont see our guys on a daily basis but on what  Ive seen so far Edmundson looks like he could play a few positions and can certainly make a pass, I would  certainly be giving him a run out  starting on Wednesday.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

It's three games a week mate but I take your point............ Can I just add that I trust out manager SG to rotate the squad in each game ......... he knows who is playing well in training , showing the right attitude etc........ basically ,I trust our manager.

Problem is that gerrard is used to rotating squada in english football when its a squad filled with talent, we dont have that, and even if he does he seems to pick the wrong games, playing motherwell at home is gonna be a tough one, we needed our best team, 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Problem is that gerrard is used to rotating squada in english football when its a squad filled with talent, we dont have that, and even if he does he seems to pick the wrong games, playing motherwell at home is gonna be a tough one, we needed our best team, 

And what was the best team considering who was fit to play, and also that the two Ryan's are not exactly match fit, to name two who were on the bench. 0k Morelos for Defoe maybe but Morelos put in some shift on Thursday and was due a rest

10 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Ah, but league is the priority over cup so we should be puting out  a weakened team next Sunday surely :sarcasm:

Nobody is saying we need to put out a weakened side for any game especially if we have 2 players for every position as the manager says. But for league matches there should be no need to rotate an entire midfield or forward line for any game. Morelos and Kent or any of the younger key players should be able to play a couple of games a week anyway 

2 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Nobody is saying we need to put out a weakened side for any game especially if we have 2 players for every position as the manager says. But for league matches there should be no need to rotate an entire midfield or forward line for any game. Morelos and Kent or any of the younger key players should be able to play a couple of games a week anyway 

You're saying he puts out the strongest side in europe and rotates the best players out in the league. Of course you're saying hes put out a weakened side, he is to an extent.

I actually agree the league is our priority but he clearly sees the benefit of playing the strongest side he can against the best teams (europa) whilst trusting the squad a bit more domestically. Other than the scum game where Defoe over Morelos plus tactics were all wrong he's been proven right. It's his gamble / decision to make and hes succeeding at the moment.

So yes the league is the priority but theres more to it. If he puts out a lesser team and we lose in europe due to us having a run of mill domestic game at the weekend he'd be slaughtered for it. Crucified on here and especially by those forking out fortunes to travel. That's the way it is.

He's also taking into account folk returning from injury, illness, opposition strengths and tactics so its not just about him not treating the league importantly enough. I'd argue it's as much about players attitudes as the team selections, theres too many games where too many are off the boil, and that includes the better players ( ie Hearts away).

So I get where you're coming from but after a weekend where we won, where Defoe not Morelos scored, where we surpassed the expectation of many in Europe and where reasons players were replaced included injury and illness I just think you're missing the bigger picture a bit tbh.

Think theres also generally a bit of under valuing our opponents these days and folk continually expecting big wins and when that doesn't happen theres hysterics and tantrums. Not you specifically, just a general obeervation that ain't helping.

12 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I am sure we won on Sunday Jim, so clearly plenty of the side was good enough... Just

13 hours ago, TopCat said:

5 changes is too much though. Especially as 3 of them won't have been match sharp.

11 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People have been talking about how Gerrard should rotate more, especially in easier home games, and now he’s doing that the same people are now questioning why he rotated the team so much. This fucking place man :lol:

Motherwell at home isnt easy, hamilton at home is, theres a difference 

Oh and he's rotating the wrong players as well

24 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Motherwell at home isnt easy, hamilton at home is, theres a difference 

Oh and he's rotating the wrong players as well

Not easy? We absolutely scudded them 7-1 at home last year. Nobody looks at Motherwell at home and thinks fuck me that’s a tough home game. It’s a middling home game that we should be able to take care of with relative ease regardless of the team we put out.

Archived