Does SG get it?

ps95v7

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Signings are always a gamble  to an extent and I reckon the mentality / character part is the hardest aspect.  But far too many of our gambles have failed, seems forever we've been saying it, and it needs to change if we've to have any chance of building up a squad to compete over a season.

Our youth should fill our squad out not Barker, Halliday, Flannagan etc 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, tomger said:

I'm not holding out for anything. I don't think it will cost 10 million as another poster has said somewhere. I still hope Gerrard can succeed here but it looks less likely by every game as he isn't dropping the problem players. Time will tell.

If you sack the lot of his team then anything less than paying up contracts in full is a bonus (depending on terms of contract). I'd imagine that would at present run into multi millions though who knows how many.  However many it is its money that in an ideal world would go towards playing budgets, it certainly wont be cheap.

If you sack the lot of his team then anything less than paying up contracts in full is a bonus (depending on terms of contract). I'd imagine that would at present run into multi millions though who knows how many.  However many it is its money that in an ideal world would go towards playing budgets, it certainly wont be cheap.

I get what your saying but still no one knows so you can't say it won't be cheap... I'm not trying to be difficult here btw

There is plenty I can moan about Gerrard for, ''not getting it'' isn't one of them.

For somebody who played nearly all of their career in England, he is probably about as well placed as anyone in the British game to 'get it'. He supported, played for and captained Liverpool. He will be acutely aware of what here is all about.

2 minutes ago, tomger said:

Our youth should fill our squad out not Barker, Halliday, Flannagan etc 

Fully agree and I expect Halliday and Flanagan to leave in the summer when out of contract and the likes if Kelly, Kennedy, Patterson possibly Barjonas and Mayo to be the squad players whilst any budget we have goes to recruiting 1st team starters.

We need to move on others like Barker too though that might be easier said than done.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Fully agree and I expect Halliday and Flanagan to leave in the summer when out of contract and the likes if Kelly, Kennedy, Patterson possibly Barjonas and Mayo to be the squad players whilst any budget we have goes to recruiting 1st team starters.

We need to move on others like Barker too though that might be easier said than done.

SG is not our only manager to make strange signings but the Barker one must be right up there  with the head scratchers.

We need a Scott Brown type player, thick as mince but he knows how to lead a team.

2 minutes ago, tomger said:

I get what your saying but still no one knows so you can't say it won't be cheap... I'm not trying to be difficult here btw

The majority are on 4 year deals. How much do you think that is worth in basic alone never mind any add ons that could be involves iw relocation costs etc?

I'm saying it wont be cheap, you're countering that with an argument of no one knows. What do you think roughly it would be? 

2 minutes ago, pcbear said:

SG is not our only manager to make strange signings but the Barker one must be right up there  with the head scratchers.

We need a Scott Brown type player, thick as mince but he knows how to lead a team.

It's probably a bit like me I'm shit hot at interviews, keen as mustard, energetic. Then when I get the job......

The majority are on 4 year deals. How much do you think that is worth in basic alone never mind any add ons that could be involves iw relocation costs etc?

I'm saying it wont be cheap, you're countering that with an argument of no one knows. What do you think roughly it would be? 

I have no idea. I don't know what's in their contract. That's why I don't really discuss figures or what it will cost.

Aye and your previous boss gave you a good reference to get rid of you not because you were any good there 😁

I've never needed references tbf must be good at interviews like Barker. 

Was going through the Liverpool squad on Wikipedia, and saw this quote about Jordan Henderson. 

20200308_084239.thumb.jpg.b7c89603d035eeda46adc7fca73bd109.jpg

Now, we're not in the Premier league, but we have to operate at a high level winning week in and week out. So I'd like to ask Gerrard, wheres our cog? 

1 minute ago, Gman36 said:

Was going through the Liverpool squad on Wikipedia, and saw this quote about Jordan Henderson. 

20200308_084239.thumb.jpg.b7c89603d035eeda46adc7fca73bd109.jpg

Now, we're not in the Premier league, but we have to operate at a high level winning week in and week out. So I'd like to ask Gerrard, wheres our cog? 

Jack is our cog

4 hours ago, ianferguson said:

I'm all ears ,who's your replacement. His European record is spectacular and the season before he joined the Tim's beat us 14-3 on aggregate. We beat them 4-3 last season and have been the best team head to head with so far imo. I can't get my head round our collapse but one things for sure missing 30 chances v Hamilton was nowt to do with Gerrard and Morelos, Kent ,Jack, Davis and Tavernier have been chronic since the break and that's not Gerrards fault either. No team can have so many big players off form and not struggle. Careful what u wish for.

You obviously totally missed the jocularity in my post mate, so if you pin back your many lug hopes, I'll reply with sincerity to your thoughts.

European record is indeed spectacular, so I have no issue there.  You then go on to pick 1 team (out of a 12 team league) where we have had more success, but fail to mention others, such as sheep, killie, hearts, where his record was and still is, poor.  I, and many more of us, will agree with you in how the F has this collapse happened. By highlighting the misses v. Hamilton, you again pick 1 team from a league of 12, but fail to mention where this has happened with other teams.  You reckon it's not Gerrard's fault that players have been chronic and we have so many players off form. The chronic issue could and should have been dealt with by dropping them, not adding to the chronic, thus resulting in the off form point.  Carefully wishing for what I want would be for everyone to allow an opinion, whether or not agreeable.

I admire your backing of the manager, but I cannot agree with you on this issue.

“I have had chats with Walter since day one and he is obviously someone who has been round the block and got the t-shirt,” said Gerrard. “I think things are different now in my reign compared to when he was the manager.

“But he has been one who has been honest with me since day one – even on the back of a good game Walter is the type of person who will not just talk about the good things but say to you this, that and the other.

“His advice has been absolute gold dust and it will continue to be because I genuinely think he wants to help and support me and this club.

“You can hear his love for the club when you speak to him. He is still as passionate as he was when I looked up to him from the outside.”

Now, with the heat on, would seem an opportune time to have a word in Smith’s shell-like. “I quite possibly will speak to him. The last message I had to him was to wish him happy birthday which wasn’t so long ago [24 February].

“If you are asking if he is there for me and will he be there for me this week then I’m sure he will be if I need it.”

There is no doubt whatsoever that Gerrard 'get's it'.

18 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

No he doesn't get it.

Goldson playing and captain, same formation still rewarding under performers who'll end up playing shite because they know they can get away with it.

Almost word for word what i was going to say.

But but but he is doing good in europe.

Archived