Are WE the people?

KingKai

Guess. Im getting old.

Its my birthday Monday..shit...

I posted earlier that the first game I was at was 1964...but I loved Rangers before then.

My dad wasnt really into going to see games..but I was lucky that my friends dad was a Rangers follow follow man, and took myself along with his own son.

I guess my time was the late 60's...and all through the 70's.

I endured the Stein era at the piggery , and remember sitting on the terracing at Ibrox through some games..yes sitting..it was that sparse.

The internet is a great thing.

I can now find out about all these games I went to..the crowds, and who scored etc .

What I dont know though..is who was there.

Yeah..my pals were there...

We always went in a crowd, like 10-15 of us from school, in the 70's.

But..when we played the bheggars...that was different.

There were THOUSANDS of us..all as one.

Hampden.....Ibrox..the Piggery...

You were up on your mates shoulders..or held up on the stanchions.....hoisting a Union Jack...everyone around steadied you..THEY wanted the flag shown too. ALL around wanted the flag shown.

If we scored against the Bheggars, EVERYONE around went mental..We were ONE!

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

EVERYONE on here has a love for this team from Ibrox.

Having watched the team through the mid to late 60's and all through the 70's, and understanding what its like to be in a 100,000 crowd, jam packed in the Rangers end, I find it hard to comprehend how I see fellow bears at odds over our Protestant heritage.

The latest was the McCoist Charity issue.

Whether you like it or not, Rangers fans in the 60's and 70's were 99.9% Protestant.

We had Pastor Jack there ( God Bless him) selling his paper, and we all sung Dolly's Braes....and goddamit.. we hated the IRA

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

We have probably played a complete team of RC's, for all I know, in the blue of The Rangers.

I bet they played for the jersey though.

I find it difficult to read posts from what I think is probably a younger generation criticising, and trying to berate older bears for their 'religious' views.

Be grateful they are here.

They, or we, are the previous generation of follow follow boys... why do you castigate, and berate?

I know if I was younger and had the internet, I would have been amazed that i could find out first hand what it was like to follow The Rangers in the 30's etc.

I might even have had some respect.

Yeah..rant over...

We Are The People...we always have been.

We always will be.

Loud And Proud Mate, Loud And Proud ! Keep up the good work Brother ! (tu):sherlock:

its a shame lots of the younger fans have missed the best days of following our club.

Was that the days when Timmy were winning 9 in a row and we were finishing 4th and 5th but all our players knew the words of the sash and we could stand on the terraces and sing about killing fenians without worrying about point deductions? :craphead:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess. Im getting old.

I posted earlier that the first game I was at was 1964...but I loved Rangers before then.

My dad wasnt really into going to see games..but I was lucky that my friends dad was a Rangers follow follow man, and took myself along with his own son.

I endured the Stein era at the piggery , and remember sitting on the terracing at Ibrox through some games..yes sitting..it was that sparse.

I can now find out about all these games I went to..the crowds, and who scored etc .

You were up on your mates shoulders..or held up on the stanchions.....hoisting a Union Jack...everyone around steadied you..THEY wanted the flag shown too. ALL around wanted the flag shown.

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

Having watched the team through the mid to late 60's and all through the 70's, and understanding what its like to be in a 100,000 crowd, jam packed in the Rangers end, I find it hard to comprehend how I see fellow bears at odds over our Protestant heritage.

Whether you like it or not, Rangers fans in the 60's and 70's were 99.9% Protestant.

We had Pastor Jack there ( God Bless him) selling his paper, and we all sung Dolly's Braes....and goddamit.. we hated the IRA

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

We have probably played a complete team of RC's, for all I know, in the blue of The Rangers.

I find it difficult to read posts from what I think is probably a younger generation criticising, and trying to berate older bears for their 'religious' views.

They, or we, are the previous generation of follow follow boys... why do you castigate, and berate?

I know if I was younger and had the internet, I would have been amazed that i could find out first hand what it was like to follow The Rangers in the 30's etc.

Yeah..rant over...

We always will be.

Loud And Proud Mate, Loud And Proud ! Keep up the good work Brother ! (tu):sherlock:

its a shame lots of the younger fans have missed the best days of following our club.

minst the best days are still ahead mate

keep believing

hope you are right for my sons and grandson, would love them to see the glory days come back for their sake. (tu)

He is right Mate, I said something on the thread that was pulled and nobody picked up on it, there is a wind of change down Edmiston Drive, early days but happenin ! ;):sherlock:

what i will say is that i have put my life into following the club, and still go to the odd game if my son treats me, and there is someone to look after my good lady. even as i grow older i still get the same buzz when i enter the ground and i shed the years and become young once again, and what rangers mean to me grows stronger and stronger, and thats why we will always be the people.

Lovely post minstral. Hope your good lady's well. (tu)

Guess. Im getting old.

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

Yeah..rant over...

We always will be.

Was that the days when Timmy were winning 9 in a row and we were finishing 4th and 5th but all our players knew the words of the sash and we could stand on the terraces and sing about killing fenians without worrying about point deductions? :craphead:

no they were the days when jim baxter would take the piss out of the tims, and the celtic end was empty with 20 min to go when we humped them 3-0 in the 1962-63 scottish cup final. we also won the title and only lost 2 games that year. that was when baxter played against celtic 18 times and was only on a losing side twice. that was when you could go to watch rangers without fear of being grassed, also our fans would stick by one another and we could also sing what we wanted. also our owners would defend our fans and not threaten them with jail for singing songs. in those days we were treated to great attacking football, not like the pish we have to watch today.

Guess. Im getting old.

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

Yeah..rant over...

We always will be.

no they were the days when jim baxter would take the piss out of the tims, and the celtic end was empty with 20 min to go when we humped them 3-0 in the 1962-63 scottish cup final. we also won the title and only lost 2 games that year. that was when baxter played against celtic 18 times and was only on a losing side twice. that was when you could go to watch rangers without fear of being grassed, also our fans would stick by one another and we could also sing what we wanted. also our owners would defend our fans and not threaten them with jail for singing songs. in those days we were treated to great attacking football, not like the pish we have to watch today.

Boab ruinin things again. :D

Was that not round about the same time that Timmy were ordered to remove the tricolour from the stadium and our Chairman stood up for them on the issue and threatened to join them in a boycott until the SFA backed down? :craphead:

Was that not round about the same time that Timmy were ordered to remove the tricolour from the stadium and our Chairman stood up for them on the issue and threatened to join them in a boycott until the SFA backed down? :craphead:

If only our chairman had been so quick to stand up to the SFA when they handed Willie Woodburn a life ban.

I bet it was SDM :craphead:

It seems that this is a transitional time for Rangers fans. What I don't understand is prod hating catholics and vise versa. Im not religious but I know the ten commandments and these idiots seem to always contradict themselves!

If only our chairman had been so quick to stand up to the SFA when they handed Willie Woodburn a life ban.

sorry i was only 3 years old then. :)

Was that not round about the same time that Timmy were ordered to remove the tricolour from the stadium and our Chairman stood up for them on the issue and threatened to join them in a boycott until the SFA backed down?

I think we abstained from the vote YNWA thus rendering the motion void. Late 50's I think.

This episode couldnt have happened though cause back then our Chairmen and Board stood up for the club and had balls........ :craphead:

I'm a person who just does not do 'blind faith' so I'm not religious, so I'm not protestant. I'm a football fan, a Rangers fan but more than that, I'm a human being in a world full of human beings who have the right to their own beliefs without having to accept abuse of any kind for holding those beliefs.

This episode couldnt have happened though cause back then our Chairmen and Board stood up for the club and had balls........ :craphead:

at least we had real rangers men running the club not imposters, plus i see you have doged the part of baxter taking the piss out of the tims, and playing good attacking football.

do you mean like murray mints who praises the tims all the time and our manager and assistant who are never done praising them.

at least we had real rangers men running the club not imposters, plus i see you have doged the part of baxter taking the piss out of the tims, and playing good attacking football.

My grandad was a fan back then and he still has a gripe about the way our then chairman Jim Lawrence, and manager Scot Symon never stood up for Willie Woodburn, so even though they were good Rangers men, I wouldn't neccessarily agree that they always did what was best for the club. But yeah I'd love to have lived through the early sixties and seen the players that you have Minstral (tu) Football has changed a lot since then though, nobody plays with 5 up front any more :(

"Real Rangers men" that lay in bed with Timmy it appears......

We took the piss out of the Tims throughout the 90's as well so im sure the "younger" generation will have plenty of good memories as well. For Baxter, read Gazza and Laudrup... (tu)

My grandad was a fan back then and he still has a gripe about the way our then chairman Jim Lawrence, and manager Scot Symon never stood up for Willie Woodburn, so even though they were good Rangers men, I wouldn't neccessarily agree that they always did what was best for the club. But yeah I'd love to have lived through the early sixties and seen the players that you have Minstral (tu) Football has changed a lot since then though, nobody plays with 5 up front any more :(

i know what you are saying about 5 up front, but blame the modern day negative coaches they are killing the game.

Oh dear. Worms, can, opened....... :craphead:

"Real Rangers men" that lay in bed with Timmy it appears......

We took the piss out of the Tims throughout the 90's as well so im sure the "younger" generation will have plenty of good memories as well. For Baxter, read Gazza and Laudrup... (tu)

prove they lay in bed with the tims, and for gazza and laudrup not in the same class as baxter.

prove they lay in bed with the tims, and for gazza and laudrup not in the same class as baxter.

Like alot of younger fans, i wish i had been a supporter during the glory years of the past.

But id prefer the option of doing our best to RECREATE those days as best we can, rather than just resign ourselves to the fact it'll never be the same again.

In other words, fight to get terracing back, TBB back, etc... etc...

some things will never be as good again - Hampden for example. :( Wish id had the chance to stand in that west stand with the Bears