Truthfull Debriefing

Ok boys, i sat watching the final alone at home over here in belfast today and after a period of reflection and a couple of hours nap i just had to get back out of bed at this late hour to put into words my alcohol free honest summary of the game.

Firstly, as many of you surely did too, i feared the worst whenever it was confirmed Bougherra wasn't playing. From that moment onward i genuinely expected to lose. ( I know that is a defeatest attitude but its how i felt ). Like anyone of you i cheered the team on nonetheless but something inside me was already braced for the worst. At the final whistle i actually didnt feel too bad and im guessing this is attributed to my sub-concious preconceptions.

As for the game itself, i thought the first ninety minutes were fairly even, the game as a spectacle was decent and the performance of the team was almost satisfactory. The turning point of the game was the substitutions, absolutely no doubt that is what cost us this game, 100%.

1st sub Novo on for Miller ? No great surprises for me there, perhaps slightly risky seeing Novo has been out a while but i was happy enough with it.

2nd sub Boyd for Lafferty ? Wasn't pleased with this one as big Laff was having a decent game and causing problems.

3rd sub Dailly for M'culloch ? Absolutely shocking decision by WS. Ok Lee was injured and needed replacing but you could see we already lacked energy and pace and needed someone who could perhaps replenish the energy levels and even provide some drive going forward. With the game heading towards extra time we bring on a unimaginative 35 year old who hasnt been playing .

We had Edu on the bench, a fairly untried midfielder who hasn't been tested fully at this level, well here was the ultimate chance. That was exactly what he ( EDU ) and the team needed. He has pace, he's hungry, he's an unknown quantity to the opposition so give them something different to worry about, NO Walter puts on Christian Dailly?? I dont need to say anymore.

M'gregor, Whittaker ( silly fouls apart ), Papac, Weir and m'culloch all did their jobs well enough. Davis and Mendes were very poor and Miller tried but it just wasn't happening for him.

Lafferty although out of position played really well for a young lad in the biggest game of his career.

I actually thought Barry more than anyone else showed passion and determination. He may not be quite the player he once was but today he tried his heart out and i cant fault him for that.

Broadfoot tries but its clear to everyone the big man is just out of his depth at times. Walters fault not his.

All 3 subs added nothing, Novo tried but spent more time falling over, Boyd does'nt open defences and Dailly? Well as i said.

We were beaten, not by a better team but by the better Manager on the day.

There are positives out of today imo. Im convinced that this will galvanize the team for the title run in. I also think this game will ensure us a much better performance at Ibrox in the league game as the players will be hurting and wont want to suffer the same again. Lessons will have been learned.

More than anything though i think Walter must now surely know that experience isnt everything. We severely lacked pace, creativity and energy today and it was there for all to see. You cant keep on papering over cracks and putting round pegs in square holes, and relying on experience alone to see us through.

Walter for the remainder of this season you must trust your squad and let them go for it, it is you who is holding them back.

All teams need just that little bit of creativity, pace, trickery something exciting that might just be the difference, for example - Man utd have Ronaldo, Arsenal - Arshavin, Celtic - M'geady, Liverpool - Gerrard, and us ? ? WE HAVE CHRISTIAN DAILLY.............

This may seem bizarre in the wake of todays defeat but i am actually more confident now of going on to win the title. Celtic although victorious today are no better a side than we are, and i really really feel this result today will have a big impact on Walter Smith and his approach from here on in.

There was something in Walters post match interview that i havent seen before. Cant quite explain what exactly but it was evident he was hurting and he was pissed, not necessarily with his team but i'd say he knew he had fucked up big time with his decisions.

The fans and the team are wounded but resilient and we should get behind Walter and the boys for the rest of the season no matter what, and then take it from there. My resolve has just been doubled by this defeat and i want the ultimate revenge.....Our title back...

Ok boys, i sat watching the final alone at home over here in belfast today and after a period of reflection and a couple of hours nap i just had to get back out of bed at this late hour to put into words my alcohol free honest summary of the game.

Firstly, as many of you surely did too, i feared the worst whenever it was confirmed Bougherra wasn't playing. From that moment onward i genuinely expected to lose. ( I know that is a defeatest attitude but its how i felt ). Like anyone of you i cheered the team on nonetheless but something inside me was already braced for the worst. At the final whistle i actually didnt feel too bad and im guessing this is attributed to my sub-concious preconceptions.

As for the game itself, i thought the first ninety minutes were fairly even, the game as a spectacle was decent and the performance of the team was almost satisfactory. The turning point of the game was the substitutions, absolutely no doubt that is what cost us this game, 100%.

1st sub Novo on for Miller ? No great surprises for me there, perhaps slightly risky seeing Novo has been out a while but i was happy enough with it.

2nd sub Boyd for Lafferty ? Wasn't pleased with this one as big Laff was having a decent game and causing problems.

3rd sub Dailly for M'culloch ? Absolutely shocking decision by WS. Ok Lee was injured and needed replacing but you could see we already lacked energy and pace and needed someone who could perhaps replenish the energy levels and even provide some drive going forward. With the game heading towards extra time we bring on a unimaginative 35 year old who hasnt been playing .

We had Edu on the bench, a fairly untried midfielder who hasn't been tested fully at this level, well here was the ultimate chance. That was exactly what he ( EDU ) and the team needed. He has pace, he's hungry, he's an unknown quantity to the opposition so give them something different to worry about, NO Walter puts on Christian Dailly?? I dont need to say anymore.

M'gregor, Whittaker ( silly fouls apart ), Papac, Weir and m'culloch all did their jobs well enough. Davis and Mendes were very poor and Miller tried but it just wasn't happening for him.

Lafferty although out of position played really well for a young lad in the biggest game of his career.

I actually thought Barry more than anyone else showed passion and determination. He may not be quite the player he once was but today he tried his heart out and i cant fault him for that.

Broadfoot tries but its clear to everyone the big man is just out of his depth at times. Walters fault not his.

All 3 subs added nothing, Novo tried but spent more time falling over, Boyd does'nt open defences and Dailly? Well as i said.

There are positives out of today imo. Im convinced that this will galvanize the team for the title run in. I also think this game will ensure us a much better performance at Ibrox in the league game as the players will be hurting and wont want to suffer the same again. Lessons will have been learned.

More than anything though i think Walter must now surely know that experience isnt everything. We severely lacked pace, creativity and energy today and it was there for all to see. You cant keep on papering over cracks and putting round pegs in square holes, and relying on experience alone to see us through.

Walter for the remainder of this season you must trust your squad and let them go for it, it is you who is holding them back.

All teams need just that little bit of creativity, pace, trickery something exciting that might just be the difference, for example - Man utd have Ronaldo, Arsenal - Arshavin, Celtic - M'geady, Liverpool - Gerrard, and us ? ? WE HAVE CHRISTIAN DAILLY.............

This may seem bizarre in the wake of todays defeat but i am actually more confident now of going on to win the title. Celtic although victorious today are no better a side than we are, and i really really feel this result today will have a big impact on Walter Smith and his approach from here on in.

There was something in Walters post match interview that i havent seen before. Cant quite explain what exactly but it was evident he was hurting and he was pissed, not necessarily with his team but i'd say he knew he had fucked up big time with his decisions.

The fans and the team are wounded but resilient and we should get behind Walter and the boys for the rest of the season no matter what, and then take it from there. My resolve has just been doubled by this defeat and i want the ultimate revenge.....Our title back...

Great post but unfortunately the nearer we get to the end of the season the more WS will get even more defensive. I fully expect Dailly amd McCulloch to be drawn upon more and more as WS draws on "experience".

A joke of a manger who is going to leave us worse off than when PLG left.

Great post. Thanks for that. Glad you are still optimistic.

I just feel that Walter does not have it in him to go for anything. I think he is far too cautious.

He should have left on Lafferty and replaced McCulloch with Boyd. That was going for it.

We badly need a proper winger playing to create width. Walter must play Beasley or Aaron.

Daily ? That may be Walter's and his last stand. Hopeless substitute. Why did we spend so much then on Edu?

Well thought out and well worded post, thank you for that. You have obviously thought much about what you have posted and I hope you are right about it all. I also have not and will not give up on the league.

Great post. Thanks for that. Glad you are still optimistic.

I just feel that Walter does not have it in him to go for anything. I think he is far too cautious.

He should have left on Lafferty and replaced McCulloch with Boyd. That was going for it.

We badly need a proper winger playing to create width. Walter must play Beasley or Aaron.

Daily ? That may be Walter's and his last stand. Hopeless substitute. Why did we spend so much then on Edu?

RESPECT

I don't agree with what you say but at least you give clear and frank explanations and don't take such offence from others opinions.

Other members could learn alot from you.

(tu)

OP, very well put similar in thoughts to what i put in another thread.

I think WS has to take the blame for this display.

We know we can play better but can Celtic.

Go back to 4-4-2

Get Boyd and another, possibly big Laff up top.

And someone left mid to run at the opposition.

Boyd was pish when he came on.

If we don't go 4-4-2 then we'll win nothing......Lafferty on the wing,McCulloch in the team,Dailly in the team,Broadfoot in the team,Miller up front himself,Ferguson still playing ma baw.....no Aaron,no Beasley no width at all........my heart says it's 4 in a row for that shite and it could get worse after yesterdays financial revelations.....

Yesterday was only the League cup but although that mob are pish we showed we haven't got the bottle(well our manager hasn't) to have a go at that shite and give them a doin.

Proven facts.......Parkhead August 31st 2008...we play 4-4-2 and stroll past them

Ibrox at Xmas 4-5-1 we get beat

Parkhead Feb 2009...4-5-1 we draw

Hampden March 2009 we play 4-5-1 and we get beat

Stats speak for themselves.

great post lance....and I agree completly ...taking Lafferty off was a big mistake and Dailly instead of Edu was totally baffling...you are right Edu would have brought industry to a non existent midfield....all very depressing

Ronaldo, Arshavin, Gerrard.... AND MCGEADY HAHA!!

He's CR@P

Boyd was pish when he came on.

If we don't go 4-4-2 then we'll win nothing......Lafferty on the wing,McCulloch in the team,Dailly in the team,Broadfoot in the team,Miller up front himself,Ferguson still playing ma baw.....no Aaron,no Beasley no width at all........my heart says it's 4 in a row for that shite and it could get worse after yesterdays financial revelations.....

Yesterday was only the League cup but although that mob are pish we showed we haven't got the bottle(well our manager hasn't) to have a go at that shite and give them a doin.

Proven facts.......Parkhead August 31st 2008...we play 4-4-2 and stroll past them

Ibrox at Xmas 4-5-1 we get beat

Parkhead Feb 2009...4-5-1 we draw

Hampden March 2009 we play 4-5-1 and we get beat

Stats speak for themselves.

And in those 3 games no goals scored and only about 5 saves for Boruc to make over those 3 games, yet in this period of time almost every other team in the league have scored against the them and created numerous chances. If only Walter would have sent out a positive line up similar to the Hamilton game and tried to score the first goal because if we scored first I couldn't see them coming back.

Guest The Brown Brogue

You've made your points well but I have to disagree with some of them.

After defeats to Kaunas, St Mirren, ICT plus numerous terrible performances we kept hearing from fans and players alike that this would galvanise the team into focussing on improving, it was the kick up the arse we needed etc, and as of yet I have yet to see any of this come to fruition.

More than anything though i think Walter must now surely know that experience isnt everything

I really can't believe you said this. Walters entire career has been based on the reliance of the tried and trusted...the 10 in a row season, his entire time with Everton and Scotland and now his second stint with us have shown that he will ALWAYS take the cautious option, and that invariably means going with experience. To Walter I'm afraid experience IS everything.

the performance of the team was almost satisfactory

Im sorry but to play a one off game against your biggest rivals without an ounce of passion or fire from the majority of the players is far from satisfactory. As was our inability to string any decent passes together, our lack of tackling, our endless high balls up the park, our usual terrible set-pieces and worst of all our complete inability to test their goalkeeper. Are you honestly saying this is almost satisfactory? Is this really how far our standards and expectations have fallen?

Well thought out and well presented. I actually agree with quite a lot of it.

Is a cup final the place to experiment? - I suppose if you are a couple down, then yes. But at 0-0 or 1-0 down, caution till a few minutes to go.

Edu, Fleck & Niguez have all been given chances to shine recently and haven't. Lafferty was given his chance and stepped up, he got a place. That was a gamble by Walter Smith, which nearly worked so well. Lafferty played well for a while, but faded in the second half.

Beasley has not been playing recently. I agree with the comment about experience, we need a measured balance between experience and youth, and the inclusion of Lafferty shows that Walter did take it into consideration.

With Bougherra missing, the problem was always cover for the back four / defensive midfield. It meant that both Whittaker & Broadfoot were playing as well as McCulloch. Who is the cover? Dailly is the only one who could cover all those slots. I do agree though, I was not happy to see Dailly coming on.

Regarding passion, there really was 4 guys who were bursting with passion - Ferguson, Boyd, McGregor & Novo. To the rest, it seemed like just a job.

The ice rink surface was the same for both teams, but it affected our passing game.

In the previous encounters against them, we have been the better side. We set expectations very high in August by completely outplaying them. They have learnt from every encounter. They gave no time to Ferguson, Davis or Mendes, setting about them constantly. Of the 3, only Ferguson came out with any real credit. Sad when you consider both have been among our best players this season.

As to the formation - we lost when we changed to 442!

In short - Walter Smith probably made 1 blunder in his substitutions. Our "big" players didnt produce it on the day it mattered. They are the culprits, not the manager. If you consider that it was a very very close game and could have gone either way and the fact that this was our worst performance against them, we wont be as poor again. I fancy us to win the league, and probably the cup as well, provided we have no more Cup Final freezes.

Sorry for the rambling reply, not normally my style, but I am trying to dodge my boss, think straight and get over my real disappointment

You've made your points well but I have to disagree with some of them.

After defeats to Kaunas, St Mirren, ICT plus numerous terrible performances we kept hearing from fans and players alike that this would galvanise the team into focussing on improving, it was the kick up the arse we needed etc, and as of yet I have yet to see any of this come to fruition.

More than anything though i think Walter must now surely know that experience isnt everything

I really can't believe you said this. Walters entire career has been based on the reliance of the tried and trusted...the 10 in a row season, his entire time with Everton and Scotland and now his second stint with us have shown that he will ALWAYS take the cautious option, and that invariably means going with experience. To Walter I'm afraid experience IS everything.

the performance of the team was almost satisfactory

Im sorry but to play a one off game against your biggest rivals without an ounce of passion or fire from the majority of the players is far from satisfactory. As was our inability to string any decent passes together, our lack of tackling, our endless high balls up the park, our usual terrible set-pieces and worst of all our complete inability to test their goalkeeper. Are you honestly saying this is almost satisfactory? Is this really how far our standards and expectations have fallen?

Have to say I agree with you, especially with the first point about galvanising the team. I just don't know what it takes with these guys sometimes; the only one who showed the right attitude and commitment for me yesterday was Lafferty (and Whittaker at times). Davis and Mendes were a colossal disappointment, and Barry... well, he snapped and snarled at his teammates, as per, but other than that...

This game was there for the taking. With width, pace, and attitude, I think we could have given them a good hiding. But again, Lafferty's played out of position, the attitude of the majority of our player's is wretched, and Walter's use of subs was stupefying. I thought, especially after the events a Massarene, that the boys would come out flying in this match. Wrong. How many games have they actually come out the blocks ready to play this season? 2 or 3? I want to believe we can still take the League, but I'm feeling right now that's more a case of hope over experience. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but I'm not laying down money on it.

Boyd bursting with passion? Really?

Of all the players you mentioned bursting with passion, only McGregor put in any kind of a performance. Whittaker and Lafferty were better than them all, as was Papac.

To be fair, he did look ready to go, but, by that time, the rest of the team looked like they had given up apart from those you mentioned here. I do agree with whoever said he should have come on for McCulloch and left Lafferty on, and, Dailly? Doesnt need saying does it

Good post and I think many of felt the same going into the game. It will be intresting in the coming weeks with suspensions and injuries to see what Walter does with his team selection!!!

I felt the same going into the game, my confidence was shot with Boogie out

The same goes after it, whilst understandably disappointed and bitter about the way we succumbed, because I expected us lose I wasn't majorly distressed by it in the same way that saw me almost in tears on the last day of last season and the UEFA Cup Final, or as angry as the CL qualifiers this season

The title is vital and we must keep believing

Good post and I think many of felt the same going into the game. It will be intresting in the coming weeks with suspensions and injuries to see what Walter does with his team selection!!!

He'll shuffle his pack in order fit all his favourites in.

As per usual.

I won't be surprised to see McCulloch at rightback at some point in the coming weeks - and I mean that.

As the original poster, apologies for my delay in re-contributing to the discussion.

Thanks for the feedback, some spot on points.

Someone once said ' Its not worth holding on to that which isn't hard to hold ', and this pretty much sums up my passion, support and belief in Rangers fc.

Supporting Rangers fc isn't always easy, pride is compulsive, Respect is paramount and adversity is a regularity. This is what binds us, its who we are, as a people we have a deeply instilled resolve and determination which was cultivated way before football, its what sets us apart from the rest, and its what makes us the worlds most unique institution.

The last 3 titleless years have been hard to bear and at this point we aren't many peoples favourites to stop it becoming 4, but the tide will turn, if not this year then the next, and if not that year then the one after . The point is even if Raceltic win the title 10 in a row they only need to look across the ring and we'll be there again Ready as determined as ever, unbowed and unbroken.

And the one thing i can tell all of you out there who still have a cup final hangover is ' Know this '- ( When the final bell goes, I KNOW WE'LL BE THE ONES LEFT STANDING. ) .....