Walter Smith

papaguy51

Yesterday confirmed to me that this myth over Smith's fear of youth is genuine.

What do people think of this? Do you agree with me that the root of this problem is in case one of our youngsters come in and outperform his older 'favourites', possibly forcing him into a team change?

No point in beating around the bush here - Smith has his favourites. Some of them play all the time, some of them are kept in cold storage for the bigger games. It's simply not the way to run a club like Rangers.

i don't know what he was thinking yesterday papa, when i saw the formation and the starting line up i knew we were going to struggle.

I'm trying to figure out a reasonable explanation for the whole saga to be honest.

I'd feel better about it if someone could say why it's happened.

i don't know what he was thinking yesterday papa, when i saw the formation and the starting line up i knew we were going to struggle.

I wish I'd switched off when he brought on Dailly :anguish:

I still can't fathom how that guy is anywhere near the team, let alone getting a game in a cup final.

I think he made a mistake yesterday with Edu but I don’t agree it’s fear that stops him playing younger players I think he doesn’t believe the guys from the youth team are better than what he has in the first team squad.I can’t say if they are or aren’t as I just don’t see enough of them to comment….i would imagine he does

As seen with playing Fleck, and at the piggery, if he thinks they are good enough he will play them in the big games

I'm trying to figure out a reasonable explanation for the whole saga to be honest.

I'd feel better about it if someone could say why it's happened.

unfortunately no chance of that happening, :rolleyes:

Yesterday confirmed to me that this myth over Smith's fear of youth is genuine.

What do people think of this? Do you agree with me that the root of this problem is in case one of our youngsters come in and outperform his older 'favourites', possibly forcing him into a team change?

No point in beating around the bush here - Smith has his favourites. Some of them play all the time, some of them are kept in cold storage for the bigger games. It's simply not the way to run a club like Rangers.

papa I agree bud , sadly though we are stuck with him and his backroom mob as SDM wont sack him

John Fleck, Maurice Edu, Aaron and Danny Wilson are better players than Lee McCulloch and Christian Dailly.

Lee McCulloch was out for a few weeks and Aaron came in and scored 2 goals and played well. But as soon as Walter's bum boy is back fit again he is drafted in after 30 minutes of football and Aaron is nowhere to be seen.

Walter Smith is ruining Glasgow Rangers.

Said it yesterday (and in the past), one of the reasons must be in case a youngster outperforms one of his boys. He'd then be faced with a difficult (well, not really) decision as to whether to drop them. The fact he had Boyd and Dailly on the bench yesterday instead of Fleck or Aaron is sickening. Bringing on and Dailly (?!?!?!?!?!) and Boyd to chase a goal was always going to backfire. By leaving the youngsters who could actually change a game out of the squad entirely he left himself with no plan B whatsoever. Not that he has one anyway, of course.

It's more than just age, though. Hemdani, Beasley and Whittaker are all capable players, but get left out of the team for months on end, or shifted around to play positions that are totally unnatural to them.

John Fleck, Maurice Edu, Aaron and Danny Wilson are better players than Lee McCulloch and Christian Dailly.

That's the basic point of the matter.

I've seen the youngsters plenty, more than enough to know that they're better than the older players that Barry and Smith favour.

Not having Boogie and taking Lafferty off was our downfall. :anguish:

aye wtf was all that about? talk about lack of threat on the bench. They're fucking loving it today, we didn't even turn up and as soon as they scored the first in ET every bear knew we wouldn't go at them the way we had to.

Lee McCulloch was out for a few weeks and Aaron came in and scored 2 goals and played well. But as soon as Walter's bum boy is back fit again he is drafted in after 30 minutes of football and Aaron is nowhere to be seen.

Fleck and aaron have done nothing to justify a place yesterday, I think mcullochs last performance in the holding role against the filth explained that…anyway playing lafferty out there worked yesterday, hinkel struggled to deal with him.

I haven't seen enough of Danny Wilson to comment on who he is better or worse than.......

and thats common sense amac mate, something walter is seriously lacking

The fact that Dean Furman is out on loan to Bradford and is out of contract in the summer sums Walter up. We are going to let a very good CM slip through our finger's because Walter favours McCulloch.

I've seen a lot of Wilson on RTV, he's a player.

Did we not spend a recent transfer window fending off Villa and Spurs from signing him? People are certainly noticing the guy and I'd blood him just now while he has the experience of Weir to learn from.

Did we not spend a recent transfer window fending off Villa and Spurs from signing him? People are certainly noticing the guy and I'd blood him just now while he has the experience of Weir to learn from.

No ideas...i look forward to seeing him then......although to be honest blooding players if it backfires at this stage in the season isn't a risk any sane manager will take.....

No ideas...i look forward to seeing him then......although to be honest blooding players if it backfires at this stage in the season isn't a risk any sane manager will take.....

We definitely DID knock back a £400k plus incentives deal from Spurs for Wilson.

He must be doing something right.

It doesn't matter what age players are. If they merit a first team place they should be playing. However, on what i've seen from Fleck, he doesn't merit a place in the first team. Aaron perhaps. Loy has only been given a small run but looked terrible during that run out.

Too many people on this board seem to want to see youth in the team at all costs. I'd rather we won playing the best team. Right now I don't believe that includes John Fleck. Our younger players aren't great and from what i've seen come out of it, Murray park isn't producing. The only thing Murray Park does is attract decent foreign players due to the training facilities. I'd look closely at the coaching staff.

Since '97/'98 season Smith has been a shitebag. Scared of playing forward thinking football, scared of playing football on the deck, scared of going out all guns blazing, scared of playing youngsters...