Herald: Former Conservative Leader Sees Through Sectarianism Sham

Frankie

For those that may have missed it, I'd like to bring all our readers' attention to a splendid article in today's Herald in which former Conservative leader David McLetchie exposes the sectarianism issue in Scottish football for what it really is - an utter sham.

You can view the article here:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/displ...ctarian_law.php

In it, Mr McLetchie examines the bizarre application of the anti-sectarian laws in Scotland and goes onto suggest that only one set of supporters are being punished while the laws are being deliberately misinterpreted to ensure others are not.

Many Rangers fans have been at the forefront of highlighting this ludicrous situation since the introduction of these laws (as well as the SPL Unacceptable Conduct rules). Strangely other politicians with less courage in their convictions, policing authorities, footballing authorities and normally eager football journalists are reluctant to agree with such fans and Mr McLetchie.

Given they want to 'Promote Citizenship through Football' (see thread A below) one wonders why they are not actually doing so by following their own guidelines and engaging with the public when asked to do so by active and concerned supporters.

Perhaps Mr McLetchie and other figures within the debate will be so kind to ask the many questions that have been raised by us and by today's Herald article. Or will the continual expensive public funding of a exaggerated problem continue to be Scotland's not so secret shame?

a - http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...c=98220&hl=

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the contrary sectarian behaviour in Scotland is primarily expressed in practice through the glorification of Irish nationalism and terrorism against the British state.

This is spot on, can't believe someone has actually come out and said it, or that it has gone to print.

At last somebody came out and said it! Well done for him standing up and not being scared of the backlash! Now is the time to send those pics of the t*ms mocking the deaths in Ireland to the newspapers. F*ck the Scottish mhedia, send it to ITN, the Times, English news who would print it. The Scottish press are so far up Lawwell and Reids arses that there's no point sending it to them. The tide might be turning on them at last if we can drum up enough evidence showing that theyreally are bigotted racist vermin! The English news would have a field day - Former foreign secretary condones terrorism!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5928421.ece

contrast the article above with our first ministers words where clearly this article is slanted only one way.....

This is exactly the kind of article Rangers FC should be reacting to. It is disgraceful that it only refers to Rangers as if we're the sole perpetrators of this crime in Scotland.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5928421.ece

contrast the article above with our first ministers words where clearly this article is slanted only one way.....

This is exactly the kind of article Rangers FC should be reacting to. It is disgraceful that it only refers to Rangers as if we're the sole perpetrators of this crime in Scotland.

I’m not much of a church goer, anymore, but I would see it more as an attack on protestant’s to be honest…..

Bigots at the bank- protestants

Bigots in football- Protestants

Bishop abused in wishaw- Protestants

Who knows if this was all Salmond said to him, I doubt it was, but there in not attempt at and balance in this article

“By your deeds you will be known”….indeed you will graham…indeed you will…….

As an aside i originally read this on kerrydale street......was just looking at the link for the storyand seems they missed a paragraph off when reproducing it...

Football is like society: it can be influenced by all sorts of dark forces. But things change. I mean, how long is it now since bananas were thrown at black players in Scotland? Thankfully, you would never see that now.”

I wonder why........

I’m not much of a church goer, anymore, but I would see it more as an attack on protestant’s to be honest…..

Bigots at the bank- protestants

Bigots in football- Protestants

Bishop abused in wishaw- Protestants

Who knows if this was all Salmond said to him, I doubt it was, but there in not attempt at and balance in this article

“By your deeds you will be known”….indeed you will graham…indeed you will…….

Fair point.

I've taken the liberty of contacting Mr Salmond asking him to clarify. I'm sure he wouldn't want to be misrepresented in a subject so dear to him?

I suggest we all do the same:

FirstMinister@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

As an aside i originally read this on kerrydale street......was just looking at the link for the storyand seems they missed a paragraph off when reproducing it...

Football is like society: it can be influenced by all sorts of dark forces. But things change. I mean, how long is it now since bananas were thrown at black players in Scotland? Thankfully, you would never see that now.”

I wonder why........

The same reason why Spiers didn't expand upon it either. Good old bias.

I think this is progress, McLetchie's well respected, a very articulate chap.

It could be clever politics by the tories as well. Watching the SNP and Labour scrap over the rc vote, they must be wondering if there is a Protestant vote to be garnered.

I think this is progress, McLetchie's well respected, a very articulate chap.

It could be clever politics by the tories as well. Watching the SNP and Labour scrap over the rc vote, they must be wondering if there is a Protestant vote to be garnered.

If they keep up with this, they've got my vote!

Here the Section 74 law:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/criminal/procrul...les/part_74.htm

Not sure what the reference too is though.

That Times article is incredible, I can't beleive they never even mention the word Celtic as if they're not part of it.

And even then, the Royal Bank was never looked upon as a prejudiced institution, as Glasgow Rangers undoubtedly was.

doh

I loathe politics and politicians generally.

But regarding this particular issue/thread some simple observations:

- we can see that David McLetchie is one of the very very very few people willing to state the truth.

- we can see that Alex Salmond is happy to go along with Speirs and his blatant Rangers bashing and general lies & distortions etc.

- and we know only too well where the likes of John Reid and Jack McConnell are placed on this issue - heavily on the side of the Rangers bashing.

There's only one person above telling the truth, whereas the other bunch are liars, hypocrites, and promoters of a false and twisted agenda (directly or indirectly).

Would you trust a liar with your support or vote or anything else...?

I wouldn't.

It does have to be said that while the SNP want the RC labour vote the Conservatives know that the best chance they have is of getting the Protestant vote ... having said that Prods like spiers will never vote for them now that they have lifted the lid on the septic protection society that is the Scottish mhedia :rolleyes:

the contrary sectarian behaviour in Scotland is primarily expressed in practice through the glorification of Irish nationalism and terrorism against the British state.

This is spot on, can't believe someone has actually come out and said it, or that it has gone to print.

WOW! That is a great line. I have thought that for years.

I'm not so sure sectarian is the best word to describe those two issues. Sectarian means religious based and nationalism isn't strictly religious. Terrorism, organised criminals who maimed, killed and struck fear into anyone who went against their narrow minded aims. They didn't take into account potential victims religion when they planted bombs indiscriminately. They were as 'happy' to kill and maim catholics as anyone else.

I'm not so sure sectarian is the best word to describe those two issues. Sectarian means religious based and nationalism isn't strictly religious. Terrorism, organised criminals who maimed, killed and struck fear into anyone who went against their narrow minded aims. They didn't take into account potential victims religion when they planted bombs indiscriminately. They were as 'happy' to kill and maim catholics as anyone else.

On some occasions when it suited them, yes, they didn't care who was maimed or killed. But I think you'll find the IRA killed more Protestants than Catholics via deliberate sectarian planning.

Former Provo Southern Commander Sean O'Callaghan said as much and the statistics of the troubles don't lie either. This was, and apparently still is for some, a sectarian battle.