Jim McLean: I'd pick McCoist before Velicka

THERE is more riding on tomorrow's Old Firm derby for Rangers but I believe Celtic will just edge it and take a huge step towards making it four in a row.

But for the good of the Scottish game I hope Rangers win because one club monopolising the title doesn't project a good image - although I'm sure every Celtic fan wouldn't care less about that.

In an ideal world, Celtic would win it one year, Rangers the next and Dundee United the year after but maybe that's just an old man day-dreaming.

What I do believe, however, is if Rangers are to have any chance of halting Gordon Strachan's charge to another title they must have a go at winning the game tomorrow.

Too many of the recent Old Firm games have been dominated by a fear of losing rather than by one or the other going for it and the matches have suffered as a result.

I fear it may be the same at Ibrox tomorrow because a draw still keeps both teams' hopes alive but I honestly believe sharing the points will be no use to Rangers ultimately.

If Celtic leave Ibrox still top of the SPL I have few doubts they'll win their last three games, leaving whatever Rangers do as meaningless.

Therefore,Walter Smith has to have a real go at winning the match, and although you might think this is weird logic, his best chance of doing that would be by ditching the player who has scored in each of his last four games.

I wouldn't let Andrius Velicka anywhere near the pitch. In fact, I would pick Ally McCoist before I threw him a jersey.

Finisher

I know he has scored a few goals but he can't play. And when you think Rangers already have Kris Boyd, who scores goals but doesn't do a lot else, can they really afford to have two traffic cones up against the Celtic defence?

I don't think so but I believe Boyd's goals merit his inclusion and although he doesn't have a great record against Celtic how can he improve it unless he gets a chance to? I would pair him with Kyle Lafferty if the Northern Ireland internationalist is fit enough. I like this boy when he is played in his proper position, through the middle, because he is a natural finisher.

Just before he injured an ankle against Hearts a few weeks back I thought he was really coming on to a game and looked like he was becoming comfortable in his surroundings.

The first goal I saw him score was against Dundee United at Tannadice and I immediately earmarked him as a player who was a little different.

He passed the ball into the net and all the great strikers of the past such as Jimmy Greaves were able to do that. Look at Lafferty's goals - almost all of them are put away with great composure.

He also links the play well, has a physical presence and is a better foil for Boyd than Velicka would be.

In fact, Lafferty and Kenny Miller might be the best partnership of all but I think Walter will play Boyd.

As for Celtic, they are playing with a little bit more confidence and belief. That's why I think they might just edge it.

Oh, and they've got Scott McDonald. He's a smashing player and the goals he scores are only part of his game.

When those around him aren't firing on all cylinders, McDonald is the one who can be relied upon to keep showing for the ball, keep making the runs.

He has a great attitude and has the ability to get a goal when his team most needs it.

Gordon is lucky to have him but he'll be disappointed to be without Scott Brown's energy and drive in the middle.

I believe Paul Hartley will be given the Brown role because he knows what these games are about. There is no place in that midfield for anyone who might be paralysed by the atmosphere and Strachan knows Hartley is a man he can turn to in a crisis. Some might think Celtic face a crisis in defence because Stephen McManus will be missing but don't count me among them.

I like the lad's attitude and he has come back from previous form slumps to play well but he isn't playing at his best and injuries seem to have hampered him.

I don't think the introduction of his replacement, Glenn Loovens, will weaken Celtic in any way. He has done well whenever called upon and I expect him to play.

I also suspect he will be smiling come full time. And if he is Celtic will be well on their way to the title.

http://www.<No links to this website>/comment/colum...-name_page.html

Another thing to pin up in the dressing room wall :uk:

Too many of the recent Old Firm games have been dominated by a fear of losing rather than by one or the other going for it and the matches have suffered as a result.

I fear it may be the same at Ibrox tomorrow because a draw still keeps both teams' hopes alive but I honestly believe sharing the points will be no use to Rangers ultimately.

If Celtic leave Ibrox still top of the SPL I have few doubts they'll win their last three games, leaving whatever Rangers do as meaningless.

Therefore,Walter Smith has to have a real go at winning the match.

I'd agree with the above

4-3-3 for me with Boyd, Velicka and Novo up front, Davis, Edu and Mendes in the middle.

Jim Maclean also still thinks its possible to win the league with 15 players.Hes more of a footballing dinosaur than Walter.

I honestly dont think anyone cares or is interested in what he has to say ever!His thoughts on football are badly outdated.Cant believe he still has a column but then again it is the daily record!

Therefore,Walter Smith has to have a real go at winning the match.

I'd agree with the above

4-3-3 for me with Boyd, Velicka and Novo up front, Davis, Edu and Mendes in the middle.

Lot of merit there, but also like the results recently too and Velicka's goals. He may worth a start and hooked early.

Problem with the Velicka argument is that Velicka has been scoring. Not sure if big Kyle is 100% fit tbh.. but he IS a better choice than Velicka. Thank f*ck I'm not the Rangers manager...

Finisher

I know he has scored a few goals but he can't play. And when you think Rangers already have Kris Boyd, who scores goals but doesn't do a lot else, can they really afford to have two traffic cones up against the Celtic defence?

I don't think so but I believe Boyd's goals merit his inclusion and although he doesn't have a great record against Celtic how can he improve it unless he gets a chance to?

Quite contradictory.

'As for Celtic, they are playing with a little bit more confidence and belief. That's why I think they might just edge it.'

Hasn't anyone told Jim we have won 6 games in a row and it is a home game for us?

Our players will have all the confidence in the world.

Most being a bit harsh on McLean, he moulded a team of home grown Scots to play fantastic attacking football to within a penalty of a European cup final, gave us many a doing, some of the games along the way were exceptional.

I dont hang on his every word but a lot of what he says makes a lot of sense, respect wee Jum.

I stopped listening to him after he banjoed John Barnes.

Skim-reading that, I made the right choice.

By the sounds of it, he's a bit care-in-the-community.

:craphead: