What we need to improve

minstral

We need to start closing down teams and stop giving them easy possession. Against celtic yesterday not many players were trying to close them down and its a bad habit we seem to have. Also our midfield will have to start holding the ball much better, and not look as if the quicker the get rid of the ball the better. also we need mendes back to his best and help us get over the line but the Hibs game will tell us all we need to know.

This was the main talking point in the pub yesterday Minstral (tu)

The first half we were in their faces, challenging ever ball and winning them, but as soon as we got our goal it was the typical WS tactics of sitting back and defending. We made them look like a good passing team yesterday because we sat off them too much. When are we going to realise that that we can actually play football and our goals very rarely come from sitting back.

I didn't think we would would be able to hang on to that lead for so long yesterday. The amount of possession they had was ridiculous. Mendes was reported missing for most of the game, he looked so promising in his OF Derby too. Lets hope we've yet to see the best of him.

The first half we were in their faces, challenging ever ball and winning them, but as soon as we got our goal it was the typical WS tactics of sitting back and defending. We made them look like a good passing team yesterday because we sat off them too much. When are we going to realise that that we can actually play football and our goals very rarely come from sitting back.

Were we ever in their faces?

We do it all the time, sitting back allowing the opposition to play football in front of us. At one point in the 2nd half, Celtic had 71% possession!

The first bit of football we played all day resulted in a goal - it's something that I wish Smith would learn from.

We do it all the time, sitting back allowing the opposition to play football in front of us. At one point in the 2nd half, Celtic had 71% possession!

Walter Smith has made a career of winning old firm games like that.

Walter Smith has made a career of winning old firm games like that.

This is true, but we no longer have the ability to give the ball to a Gazza or a Laudrup to run up the park and score with it.

We need to start closing down teams and stop giving them easy possession. Against celtic yesterday not many players were trying to close them down and its a bad habit we seem to have. Also our midfield will have to start holding the ball much better, and not look as if the quicker the get rid of the ball the better. also we need mendes back to his best and help us get over the line but the Hibs game will tell us all we need to know.

lost my voice shouting this to them yesterday, absolutely mental, we played a dodgy game in the second half.

oh my god who gives a fuck!!! we won a miassve old firm game! one of the biggest for years and yet this place is still trying to pick holes in it! i really cant imagine how horrifying it must be to witness a momentous victory for the bears and them come home, go on this, and basically complain! slag smiths tactics all you want, you know what he would reply... what was the score?

cmon to fuck guys. we are three wins away from the title, if we win them all 1-0 exactly the same way, i will call smith a tactical fuckings genious! even though i know he is a footballing dinosaur. but its not about him or me or you. its about the gers, and we are top of the league.

sometimes i think we could win the champions league and there would be a thread 'where we were poor...'

what people have to remember is that while the beggars had all the ball, it was in the 2/3rds of the pitch that we didnt give a flying fuck about, the minute they came within 35 yards of our goal there was more than 1 blue shirt ready to kick anything in green and white that moved

maybe our players arent fit enough to chase all over the park, i dunno

but for all the possesion they had, how many times did they look like scoring

i'd say once when davis cleared it off the line

that a pretty good stat considering they are the top scorers in the league

Possession is nothing when its in their own half.

They tried to tire our players out, and for once our players looked fit and ran from the first minute till the last.

all their possession was in Their own half and the middle, when they got closer than 30 yards, there was 10 players defending.

Thats teamwork.

Closed them down in the first half they were going nowhere but the old Wattie showed in the second half, hold on to what we got, we should have kept up the assualt battering balls into that goalmouth, that fat arsehole is an accident waiting to happen especially in conditions like yesterday ! :sherlock:

Thats where we really miss Thommo. He never gave anyone a minutes peace and i think the work he put in allowed Mendes the time and space to be more creative IMHO.

Cant wait to Thommo comes back though i do think Edu has stepped up to the oche well since the demise of Fergie.

there possession went for nothin in the end,

but i do agree we shouldnt have been letting them attack us for most of the second half.

that was the hardest game out the way, now bring on the next 3 :)

oh my god who gives a fuck!!! we won a miassve old firm game! one of the biggest for years and yet this place is still trying to pick holes in it! i really cant imagine how horrifying it must be to witness a momentous victory for the bears and them come home, go on this, and basically complain! slag smiths tactics all you want, you know what he would reply... what was the score?

cmon to fuck guys. we are three wins away from the title, if we win them all 1-0 exactly the same way, i will call smith a tactical fuckings genious! even though i know he is a footballing dinosaur. but its not about him or me or you. its about the gers, and we are top of the league.

sometimes i think we could win the champions league and there would be a thread 'where we were poor...'

Dont you understand that if we have the ball and keep a hold of it then the other team cant hurt you. But you must be deluded if you think you can keep giving teams easy possession and not get caught out.

Definitely think we need to start chasing a bit more and certainly need more closing down. I agree with the fact that we cannot allow teams too much possession, no matter where it is on the pitch. While I don't agree with the backward passing all the time, we certainly should employ it when needed. Too many times over the years we have had promising situations around the opposing box only to see it passed back into our own half.

Dont you understand that if we have the ball and keep a hold of it then the other team cant hurt you. But you must be deluded if you think you can keep giving teams easy possession and not get caught out.

I've been saying it for weeks Minstral, some on here think that you are complaining about winning ugly, which isn't the case, we need to retain the ball better.

I've been saying it for weeks Minstral, some on here think that you are complaining about winning ugly, which isn't the case, we need to retain the ball better.

Hi mate you are right it was not about winning ugly, just i was panicking every time they got near our goal and the pressure was murder. We let them have to much off the ball second half and we started to defend deeper and deeper, and thats when we could have done with someone who could keep hold of the ball.

i am fully aware of the vast amount of things that this rangers team lacks and needs improvement on. i just hate this attitude of criticism that is spreading throughout the rangers support. we can do all the complaining we want when things are going badly or whenwe are on a losing streak. but can we not just enjoy the sides success for at least a day when the wins are coming thick and fast as they are now?

its the difference between 'support'ing the team and assessing them.