Man Utd. close to signing Obertan

Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud has revealed that winger Gabriel Obertan is on the verge of signing for Manchester United.

The highly rated 20-year-old became a regular for Les Girondins at the just 17 but last season found chances hard to come by under former Red Devils defender Laurent Blanc.

The French Under 21 international was loaned out to fellow Ligue 1 side Lorient for the second half of last season where he featured 15 times, scoring once.

Arsenal, Inter Milan and AC Milan are said to have been interested in the youngster but it appears United have won the race for his signature for an undisclosed fee.

"There is a very strong likelihood that the deal will go ahead," confirmed Triaud to L'Equipe.

"Manchester United want to sign him and, for our part, we would be delighted to see Gabriel playing for such a prestigious club.

"We will make the official announcement when the time is right."

Not sure if many people will have heard of him or seen him play. I watched him play for France under 21's v England under 21's at Nottingham Forests ground earlier in the year and France won 2 or 3-0 and it was the first defeat England had in ages.

Obertan was brilliant, skilled winger. Scored 1 of the goals but his dribbling and skills were outstanding. Great signing in the long run i think.

Definitetly hugely overrated from what i've seen, though i'm sure Ferg could get the best out of him. Either way, not exactly a Man Utd starter yet.

Another overrated player from Clairefontaine, no better than Nani IMO. Infact he makes David Bellion look a good player.

He'll move to Manchester United, and struggle. He'll be moved about the place, from striker, to out onto the left, and right, and flop. He has absolutely no end product.

Another overrated player from Clairefontaine, no better than Nani IMO. Infact he makes David Bellion look a good player.

He'll move to Manchester United, and struggle. He'll be moved about the place, from striker, to out onto the left, and right, and flop. He has absolutely no end product.

Neither did Ronaldo at 20.

Still didn't have an end-product though, or at least not to the same extent he has now. I put that down to Sir Alex, let's see what he can do with another 20 year old with little end-product.

He's the best in the world at getting the best out of players.

I think Obertan has potential..and as the above poster says it'll be up to management to get it out of him. When i seen him play he looked very very good albeit at under 21 level.

And am i the only one who actually thinks Nani isn't all that bad? Now Ronaldo has left and Giggs is getting on i think we could see him getting more of a game. He's got a rocket of a shot on him and he has skills (showboating against Arsenal in FA Cup). Just is a bit inconsistent but he can't really get a run in the team.

I rate him higher than Anderson. Anderson hasn't scored for Man U yet and hes meant to be an attacking mid who plays far more than Nani.

I think Obertan has potential..and as the above poster says it'll be up to management to get it out of him. When i seen him play he looked very very good albeit at under 21 level.

And am i the only one who actually thinks Nani isn't all that bad? Now Ronaldo has left and Giggs is getting on i think we could see him getting more of a game. He's got a rocket of a shot on him and he has skills (showboating against Arsenal in FA Cup). Just is a bit inconsistent but he can't really get a run in the team.

I rate him higher than Anderson. Anderson hasn't scored for Man U yet and hes meant to be an attacking mid who plays far more than Nani.

Sir Alex has changed his game thats why he is no longer your typical Brazillian AM he now posses awareness, tackling, passing infact he is almost the complete package and my tip to be the Star of the United midfield for years to come (tu)

Nani i dont rate but most likely due to his lack of game time to help him progress, for me he is still at the stage that Ronaldo joined united at.

As for Obertan is he 20 already, christ like DBBTB i have known about him for some time but he doesnt seem to have progressed as much as i thought he would whether thats down to injuries or being the billy bigtime you never know

Players can have all the talent in the World if they have the wrong attitude they will never make it (tu)

Manchester United have signed French winger Gabriel Obertan from Bordeaux on a four-year contract.

The 20-year-old had also been linked with Arsenal as well as Italian sides Inter Milan and AC Milan.

"Gabriel is a player we have tracked for a few years now," United boss Sir Alex Ferguson told the club's website.

"But because of his educational programme our efforts to get him have been delayed. We are delighted to get him now as he is an exciting prospect."

Obertan spent the second half of last season on loan at Ligue 1 side Lorient, where he made 15 appearances and scored once.

He scored against England Under-21s in March and took the most valuable player award at last month's Toulon International youth tournament.

"I am very happy to join Manchester United," said the youngster, who will miss the club's pre-season tour of the Far East because of an injury.

"This is a big opportunity for me to play at such a great club. I am very excited to be here and I look forward to proving what I can do."

Manchester United have already signed 23-year-old Ecuador winger Antonio Valencia this summer as Ferguson tries to replace Cristiano Ronaldo, the world player of the year, who has joined Real Madrid for a world record £80m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/8138952.stm