Is Thommo REALLY the best choice?

H72

The New Rangers Captain  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose to be the new Rangers captain?

• Kevin Thomson
    • Steven Davis
    • Neil Alexander
    • Sasa Papac
    • Other (please comment)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thomson would make a great captain. He's exactly the kind of level headed professional we need to get some of these other guys sorted out. Bougherra or Mendes would both be decent choice for Vice-Captain. Don't think Davis is quite ready and Boyd probably won't feature much in the CL and it seems a waste to give a captains armband who'll be on the bench for important games.

davie weir for this season as kt is obviously gonna struggle coming back and i'd rather play davies in the middle in his preferred opinion and have a gers man as captain who can influence the game. IMO we've no had a proper captain since goughie, bazza was ok but never really struck me as a motivator and i think his people skills are a bit ropey (boyd and greegsy beahaviour/shenanigans) and really didn't do much as a captain for the last few years except in the last 15 mins of the uefa cup final when he lost the rag. in fairness to fergie he was playing with some lazy, half arsed, money grabbing guys who weren't the same quality as we'd previously had.

We already have a Captain. Mr. David Weir. Try and show him some respect?

Way too soon to discuss KT as a Captain. Let him return to 1st team football and get back into the game. There is too much pressure on the guy.

Weir should be captain,IMO, in the this surely his last season. As somoeone mentioned give KT the vice-captaincy

this season to step up next year.

Out of the current squad,there aren't really any other strong candidates.

Did someone mention in Boyd in regards the captaincy in a post there?! I'm a fan of his, but club captain? Nae chance.

I think Thomson has the making of a good captain but still think he has a bit to learn. Don't land this burden on him just yet. Lets get him back to fitness and playing well. If he can get back to that he will gain respect from all angles, something i also think is needed to be captain. Let Weir do the job at the moment, and if not him then let Davis do a stint before giving it to Thommo.

well said mate :clap:

From what I know Kevin Thomson would love to play in the Premiership and further his career. He is capable of it. Although if offered the captain's armband he would be tempted to stay for a number of years. Rangers won't give the armband to someone they are going to sell a year later. Well I would hope not.

As for Kevin Thomson's capabilites of being the captain, well he is the best for the job in the current squad. He has experience of being a captain, which also improved his game while being captain of Hibs, his attitude is second to none, on the field he leads by example. Nothing better than Thomson flying into a tackle, winning the ball and then setting us on an attack. It gives everyone from the players to the fans a lift.

David Weir will captain us for this coming season and then Kevin Thomson should take over from Weir next season. If he returns to form after injury.

Interesting one. Weir will probably be skipper this season, and the other players do look up to him, but long-term? You're really looking at Davis or Thomson, both of whom could realistically be at the club in 5 years time - I doubt Mendes or Bougherra will be, and McGregor and Boyd probably don't set a good enough example (though Boyd captained the side a few times under Le Guen). Then based on last season's displays, it has to be Steven Davis for me. He stepped up to the fore at the end of the season, playing well wherever the manager put him, and it was cometh the hour cometh the man when he scored, and was man of the match against celtic in a game we couldn't even have afforded to draw! I am a fan of Thomson as a player too, but I fail to see what people are talking about in respect of him being a 'natural leader' etc. He's no Stuart Pearce or Terry Butcher.. neither is Davis, but he does captain his country, Thomson sadly barely even gets a game for Scotland. So it would be Davis for me.

Of course, it doesn't really matter anyway. All the captain does is toss the coin with the ref at the start. A great team will have 4 or 5 big characters anyway. Back in the day we had Goram, Gough, McCall, McCoist, John Brown were all strong characters, they never went around in awe of Gough because he wore the armband. They weren't scared to shout at him if they weren't happy, and vice-versa! We do lack characters like that in the current side, but it never stopped us winning the double last season. All I would say is that the captain should be a player who is the first name down on the team sheet every week. Barry Ferguson would only have been playing this season if others were injured or banned, which is why he had to go..

David Weir is the stand out candidate. Thomson up until his injury was a bit of a hot head and prone to silly challenges which said to me he was trying too hard to impress people. No harm in that as such but until he calms down a bit then he's not the man. Hopefully this season sees him watching how Weir goes about his business, there's no better example at Ibrox as regards the correct approach to the profession and how to lead your team.

thomson would be my personal choice, however if we moved davis into his own postition then there would be no problem with him having it, while he is out wide its hard enough for him to play his own game never mind worry about other players.

As much as a want Thomson to be the next captain Weir is the captain and will be this season but Thomson should defo be vice captain then in a year once Weir leaves Thomson will be ready to step up

Edu's sittin on the fence when it comes to pickin a captain :craphead:

MauriceEdu@Liam_RFC that's a good question as there r a few good candidates but its hard 2 predict who

about 9 hours ago from UberTwitter in reply to Liam_RFC

I am a great believer of "your captain should lead from the back" so i would give it to big Madjid Bougherra although Davie Weir is captain he is more captain caveman and as much as i respect the big man i fear that he no longer has the pace to cope !!!

I think Davie Weir should have it for the mean time, I'd like to see Thomson become the long term captain but right now bringing him back in to the team and regaining his previous form and fitness is of much more importance. Lets see how he plays first before giving him he added pressure of the captains armband.

voted for Thompson! While at edinburgh uni i went along with some Hibs mates to ER a few times - and by far although quite a young team at hibs he was a real leader organising and commitment was outstanding, he is a class act :) would love to see him as Rangers captain - also would be nice to wind up my Hibs pals that he is the captain of the famous Rangers ;)

Definitely Kevin Thomson for me with Steven Davis his No2. Thomson comes across well on and of the park just a wee bit more than Davis and he's taken the slite stick that he's had of a small majority of the fans on the chin and last year up to his injury was the best player in the league for me. But i wouldn't be shocked if Walter stuck with Davie Weir