Visiting Rosneath: The Moses McNeil Trail

McBoyd

McBoyd, Will we be pursuing our idea of cleaning up the headstone etc?

The thought is still there mate, but i think we'd need to see what Rangers are doing there first, as their is ample space for another inscription below the current writing, which they could possibly put something there, and at the same time carefully clean it up. :)

DSCN0544.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to be in the team that helps do this. It would make me a proud man.

Me too mate (tu) i think quite a bit of contact and research would need to be done first though.

I am hoping that Rangers don't go over the top with anything there though and keep it kind of subtle, you know tims will ruin it if its too 'RANGERS!!!' a wee plaque, or adding to the gravestone already their.. i'm not sure what else they might do!?

Nice work 4baab.

I take it your name is referring to our founders?

Yes, though strictly speaking they didnt have a ball at the time. I think there is a strong case for 5boysandabaw that includes Our first captain Tom Vallance, and Rangers finest captain imo, what an example, may do a Tom vallance thread.

Garelochhead, from Rosneath. Where the seeds of the seeds were sown. And a fine looking place it is befitting of a seed of the mighty Rangers FC.

006-1.jpg

The birthplace of Peter Campbell , A Gallant Pioneer.

004.jpg

Thanks for these images 4BAAB, they are brilliant (tu)

I hope this can turn into a thread for discussion and posting pictures/stories relating to this :)

On that note, the book 'Gallant Pioneers' pointed out something to me which i'd not noticed at all somehow, and that is that Moses McNeil is sat in this image far left afterall, i'd looked for him many a time, but figured he'd be in the playing gear, but it appears he didn't feature in this match of the Ancients vs the Moderns sadly.

mcneilancientvsnew-1.jpg

Nice work 4baab.

I take it your name is referring to our founders?

Yes, though strictly speaking they didnt have a ball at the time. I think there is a strong case for 5boysandabaw that includes Our first captain Tom Vallance, and Rangers finest captain imo, what an example, may do a Tom vallance thread.

I always wondered why that was your name. Very good choice! (tu)

It is said that Moses, going to Glagow once a month and coming back with speech slightly slurred, was collecting a pension from Rangers. Quite right too. Day out with old boys and a nice brown envelope pocketed.

That bit made me laugh, he must have enjoyed that. Some trek though i must say, unless he horse and carted it! :pipe:

Choo Choo train I think. Probably walked from Rosneath to Garelochead.

I have wondered if the name matters. Rangers, lets say that when young Moses said to his fellow Gallant Pioneers, say fellows Ive found a great name for our team and the team says, whats that then Young Moses. Young Moses says, well you know how we were walking through West End Park (Kelvingrove Park) when we came up with the idea for a football team, well why dont we be The West End Strollers. The Gallant Pioneers say, thats a grand name young Moses. The West End Strollers it is.

Would it have been different? , would I be writing this on westendstrollersmedia. I dont think so, I think the name has something, Rangers FC, it resonates it has something like energy in it and strength. I was saying this to a selik supporter some years ago that Rangers, Glasgow Rangers even sounds better.

Any thoughts.

Many people have known of the grave sides of the founding fathers and none revealed where they were due to

fearing timmy would go along and destroy/vandalise them.

God forbid they would do such a thing but if they did, I guess there would be retaliation by ned elements to tit for tat.

Hopefully none are moronic enough to do such things and past players/managers are left in peace.

Rangers have been saying for years they would tidy up the graves/new headstones, but still we wait.

We also have to consider the living relatives who may wish for them to stay as they are?

I don't know about that side of things?

If someone contacted the families and asked about it, maybe if they don't mind, we could raise money among all the forums to help with the funding.

Or just get a sculpter to build a statue honouring them and placed outside Ibrox just similar to what they did with the John Grieg one.

Rangers have been saying for years they would tidy up the graves/new headstones, but still we wait.

We also have to consider the living relatives who may wish for them to stay as they are?

I don't know about that side of things?

Sadly, it seems from reading the Gallant Pioneers book, that the only living relatives are of Peter McNeils, (IIRC).

In this case for Moses grave there would be no direct family to contact, he never had any children :(

So glad i stumbled across this thread as it's great to see someone taking an interest in our great clubs heritage as where would we be without the great Moses ???

Hopefully i will visit his grave soon and in no way do i find this morbid as paying your respect to someone as great as this should be greatly appreciated not frowned upon !!!

Thanks for all the hard work mate and enlightening me !!!