Something for the really old bears

barkie

Brilliant! I have strong memories of the 67 final V Bayern, my teacher, Roger Hynd played in the game! Despite being a Centre Half, we played him up front and lost 1 - 0. I remember my Dad saying that Alex Willoughby should be playing, but I wanted our PT teacher to play in the game. Apparently he threw his loser's medal into the crowd!

Thanks for the link!

Brilliant! I have strong memories of the 67 final V Bayern, my teacher, Roger Hynd played in the game! Despite being a Centre Half, we played him up front and lost 1 - 0. I remember my Dad saying that Alex Willoughby should be playing, but I wanted our PT teacher to play in the game. Apparently he threw his loser's medal into the crowd!

Thanks for the link!

I remember the 67 Final also. Sitting glued to the TV with a big Rangers flag I got specially made for the final. I was still at

primary, and we had arranged for a huge gang of us to meet at the school after the game, to march around the neighbourhood

singing! Unfortunatly it never happened...!

Thanks for the link!

my memory said he should have stuck to teaching.it was well publicised he was bill shankley,s nephew but that didnt make him a footballer he was average at c/h but not great mainly because of his size .i,ll never forget him missing from 6 inches.true and this game was 7 days after lisbon.work next day was not good at all.

Thanks for the link!

I remember the 67 Final also. Sitting glued to the TV with a big Rangers flag I got specially made for the final. I was still at

primary, and we had arranged for a huge gang of us to meet at the school after the game, to march around the neighbourhood

singing! Unfortunatly it never happened...!

That game was a real heartbreaker.I agree with your dad,Willoughby should have played,but you've got to remember, your teacher (Roger Hynd)

was the nephew of the then owner, John Lawrence :craphead:

Thanks for the link!

my memory said he should have stuck to teaching.it was well publicised he was bill shankley,s nephew but that didnt make him a footballer he was average at c/h but not great mainly because of his size .i,ll never forget him missing from 6 inches.true and this game was 7 days after lisbon.work next day was not good at all.

I quite agree, he was my teacher and I was young and excitable. Roger Hynd played like a big donkey in that game.

The Nuremberg ECWC final in 1967 is a desperate tale of woe that derives from our humbling by Berwick Rangers three months previously in the Scottish Cup. Our then Chairman, John Lawrence demanded that neither of the two strikers that day play for Rangers again. Our main striker was Jim Forrest, his goals to games ratio was outstanding but the Chairman had spoken. The manager, Scot Symon got on with it and the club managed to negotiate ties against Real Zaragoza and Slavia Sofia to reach the final against Bayern Munich.

As a 7-8 year old, I attended all the home legs of the ties against Glentoran, Dortmund(the holders), and the two mentioned above; but my old man refused to take me to Nuremberg. On his return, Dad refused to forgive Roger Hynd, the manager, and John Lawrence. The accepted wisdom was that Rangers fielded a team of half backs against a German team that included several players who would go on to win the European Cup(3 times) at club level and the world cup for West Germany in 1974.

The story of Hynd's selection is as surprising as his conclusion. The week before the final, Rangers third team had a fixture in the Combination League against Glasgow Corporation(in effect, a team of bus drivers, mechanics, conducters, ....etc) at Helenvale Park. Symon included Hynd as a makeshift centre forward and he scored five goals in an 8-3 victory. Symon thought he could reciprocate such a performance against Bayern. Madness, sheer madness.

My old man remained absolutely affirmed that Rangers would have won that final quite comfortably if Jim Forrest had been on the pitch.

watch the 1-1 final with aberdeen - commentary is classic.

Ibrox are running up the park.

Great Link

It's great would be even better if one said " I say old chap don't they know the famine is over why don't they go home"

:gerbad:

glad everyone likes it i thought it was a good find.

The Nuremberg ECWC final in 1967 is a desperate tale of woe that derives from our humbling by Berwick Rangers three months previously in the Scottish Cup. Our then Chairman, John Lawrence demanded that neither of the two strikers that day play for Rangers again. Our main striker was Jim Forrest, his goals to games ratio was outstanding but the Chairman had spoken. The manager, Scot Symon got on with it and the club managed to negotiate ties against Real Zaragoza and Slavia Sofia to reach the final against Bayern Munich.

As a 7-8 year old, I attended all the home legs of the ties against Glentoran, Dortmund(the holders), and the two mentioned above; but my old man refused to take me to Nuremberg. On his return, Dad refused to forgive Roger Hynd, the manager, and John Lawrence. The accepted wisdom was that Rangers fielded a team of half backs against a German team that included several players who would go on to win the European Cup(3 times) at club level and the world cup for West Germany in 1974.

The story of Hynd's selection is as surprising as his conclusion. The week before the final, Rangers third team had a fixture in the Combination League against Glasgow Corporation(in effect, a team of bus drivers, mechanics, conducters, ....etc) at Helenvale Park. Symon included Hynd as a makeshift centre forward and he scored five goals in an 8-3 victory. Symon thought he could reciprocate such a performance against Bayern. Madness, sheer madness.

My old man remained absolutely affirmed that Rangers would have won that final quite comfortably if Jim Forrest had been on the pitch.

Im sure your dad was absolutely correct.