Saints and Sinners

D'Artagnan

What a funny thing football is. Take last week for example. We were treated to a demonstration of Celtic in their familiar "victim mode" . . . They really have got this down to a fine art. If Carlsberg did Oscars Celtic would be the "best victim actors in the world". And no probablies about. It.

The "sinner" in this case was Arsenal striker Eduardo who it was alleged, had dived following a challenge from Mad Arthur. Cue a penalty which was subsequently converted and cue the media circus. The Scottish press were quick to jump on the bandwagon. . . In fact Victim Support Scotland would have been proud of them.

But they were not alone. SFA chief executive Gordon Smith was quick to. . . Excuse the pun. . . Dive in with both feet . . .demanding that UEFA punish the Arsenal player.

"Last night he (Eduardo) showed disrespect to the game by his actions in winning a penalty against Celtic. Since I came to this post I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again - both here in Scotland and with FIFA and UEFA"

And he has of course. Simulation seems to be a particular bugbear of the SFA who only recently used video evidence to convict and subsequently punish our own Kyle Lafferty for faking injury following Mulgrew's nose butt.

Lafferty's subsequent stiff punishment at the hands of the SFA should have come as no surprise as Smith describes simulation as " one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football". Let's not forget this was a ban imposed despite the fact that Rangers football club had already moved swiftly and punished the player.

But not even a week has passed when the "saints" have become "sinners". Yesterday Aiden McGeady was sent off by referee Dougie McDonald for Gordon Smith's pet hate - diving.

So can we expect the SFA to act and punish the player ? Unlike the Rangers player Lafferty there will be no internal discipline for McGeady - Mowbray appears to think the ref got it wrong. Interesting however he refused to watch a video re run of the incident claiming he had seen it clearly the first time.

So will the SFA act ? Unlike Lafferty the McGeady was punished at the time but if simulation is such a threat to the integrity of the game that it carries a 3 match ban it would be reasonable to assume the SFA will intervene and take action in the same manner as they did when a Rangers player was involved.

One things for sure.. . . . I bet Arsene Wenger sides were splitting when he saw how the "saints" had become "sinners".

As the saying goes "what goes around comes around"

Smith won't act because he's scared of anti-Celtic accusations.

The biggest problem now is their manilpulation the Glasgow rivalry, coming of as the downtrodden do-gooders at every turn.

You only have to look at the media coverage of events to see the discrepancies (Edu's twitter being a prime example).

Lafferty had a 2 match ban. The 3rd was from excessive 'points.'

Rangers -- in the Lafferty case -- acted with integrity. (Just like we did when we disciplined Baz and McGregor.)

That's what makes us different then them. We have integrity. And Mopery is ideal for them.

Of course we all agree with you D'art, I along with everyone else knew it would only be a matter of time before they hung themselves, but 4 days later is just incredible you just couldn't make it up, then we have thier manager trying desperatly to make excuses that just dosn't wash with anyone outside of thier strange little world ie. people of normal intelegance. It's been said so many times before that it is in danger of becoming boring, but they really are a sad corrupt organization from top to bottom and boring as it may seem we should never stop decrying them for what they are and evetually hopfully the mud will start to stick.

Appaently thier forums are more or less taking the same stance as their manager which comes as no surprise, so I'm hoping that supporters of all Scottish clubs up the anti on them with some choise songs.

Tony Monobrow provided every Yahoo with the ready made excuse, 'Aiden ran forty yards, evaded two tackles, was going at such pace that his anticipation of the next tackle saw him go to ground exhausted'.

I am sure all RMers share my concern for Plastic's fitness level. All SPL goalkeepers can relax the next time he picks up the ball and runs forty yards into their last third. McGeady will fall down exhausted.

Of course we all agree with you D'art, I along with everyone else knew it would only be a matter of time before they hung themselves, but 4 days later is just incredible you just couldn't make it up, then we have thier manager trying desperatly to make excuses that just dosn't wash with anyone outside of thier strange little world ie. people of normal intelegance. It's been said so many times before that it is in danger of becoming boring, but they really are a sad corrupt organization from top to bottom and boring as it may seem we should never stop decrying them for what they are and evetually hopfully the mud will start to stick.

Appaently thier forums are more or less taking the same stance as their manager which comes as no surprise, so I'm hoping that supporters of all Scottish clubs up the anti on them with some choise songs.

It wil be interesting to see if Smith maintains his consistency of trying to remove the scourge which is threatening...according to him...the integrity of football.

If he doesn't then it looks like Jimbo has called it right.

It wil be interesting to see if Smith maintains his consostency of trying to remove the scourge which is threatening...according to him...the integrity of football.

if he doesn't then it looks like Jimbo has called it right.

I won't hold my breath.

Tony Monobrow provided every Yahoo with the ready made excuse, 'Aiden ran forty yards, evaded two tackles, was going at such pace that his anticipation of the next tackle saw him go to ground exhausted'.

I am sure all RMers share my concern for Plastic's fitness level. All SPL goalkeepers can relax the next time he picks up the ball and runs forty yards into their last third. McGeady will fall down exhausted.

Ah yes Cov another gem to add to the book.

Up along there with..... "I was just going for a pie" or "It was just one guy"....

Greetin face has already been punished for diving. Diving is a yellow card offence, and he received this. The Lafferty indecent was completely different. He faked injury and got someone else sent off. It would have been different if McGeady never received a yellow card, and the Hibs player was ordered off.

Here is smith answering nearly every question you have asked.....i have no real problems with him after listening to this, as long as he continues to apply these rules as they are explained in this video.....

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_ne...amp;newsID=4965

That link doesn't work for me, GCL.

Greetin face has already been punished for diving. Diving is a yellow card offence, and he received this. The Lafferty indecent was completely different. He faked injury and got someone else sent off. It would have been different if McGeady never received a yellow card, and the Hibs player was ordered off.

Fixed it...... (tu)

I disagree.

Surely if we are talking about the act of simulation it doesnt really matter if its to gain a penalty or have action taken against an opposing player. At the very heart of the act of simulation is a desire to cheat to gain advantage.

For his act of simulation McGeady has missed part of a match and will not be fined by his club.

Lafferty missed 2 matches and was fined by his club.

I disagree.

Surely if we are talking about the act of simulation it doesnt really matter if its to gain a penalty or have action taken against an opposing player. At the very heart of the act of simulation is a desire to cheat to gain advantage.

For his act of simulation McGeady has missed part of a match and will not be fined by his club.

Lafferty missed 2 matches and was fined by his club.

Watch the link mate and the laws are explained......

I do agree with you about the club turning a blind eye but remmeber who you are dealing with here, never judge the filth by our high standards.....

Why are we even expecting the right thing to be done here?

The SFA will bend over backward to prove Castlemilk's finest innocent and not guilty of the same infringement as Lafferty/Eduardo.

The papers will sweep this one away and trot out more negative stories about us.

Fuck the lot of them, we'll shut them all up come next June when we're lifting the SPL again.

Great article nonetheless D'art. (tu)

Here is smith answering nearly every question you have asked.....i have no real problems with him after listening to this, as long as he continues to apply these rules as they are explained in this video.....

Had a look at it GLC.

My concern would be it seems that if the refs catches it during the match and the player is dealt with at the time - he misses part of a match.

If the SFA have to deal with it because the ref has missed it the punishment appears to be more severe.

Furthermore by excusing McGeady of being "tired" rather than dealing with the players cheating are Celtic Football Club undermining the referee ?

Had a look at it GLC.

My concern would be it seems that if the refs catches it during the match and the player is dealt with at the time - he misses part of a match.

If the SFA have to deal with it because the ref has missed it the punishment appears to be more severe.

Furthermore by excusing McGeady of being "tired" rather than dealing with the players cheating are Celtic Football Club undermining the referee ?

No, that was to ensure that the great unwashed had a party line to trot out as they scrambled to get back on their high horse.

Had a look at it GLC.

I didn't say the rules were fair D'art i said they seem to have been applied fairly in this case. My other concern was if the ref didn't catch it during the match then Mcgeady's dive would not have seen a discipline panel anyway as it wasn't one of the three situations described.

Celtic football club haven't told the truth about anything since 1888........

The SFA will bend over backward to prove Castlemilk's finest innocent and not guilty of the same infringement as Lafferty/Eduardo.

The papers will sweep this one away and trot out more negative stories about us.

Fuck the lot of them, we'll shut them all up come next June when we're lifting the SPL again.

Watch the link i have posted the SFA are applying the rules here as they have been supplied by UEFA. They make enough mistakes for us to moan about there are no reasons to invent them

The papers have hammered Mcgeady today, have you actually read any of them.....?

Watch the link i have posted the SFA are applying the rules here as they have been supplied by UEFA. They make enough mistakes for us to moan about there are no reasons to invent them

The papers have hammered Mcgeady today, have you actually read any of them.....?

The only article I saw was on here, Traynor booting into McGayday, but that really was it.

I refuse to buy the Daily Rebel and never popped out to get a paper today.

Also, I'd love to think that the media worm has turned and now sees that mob for what they are, but it would be nothing more than folly to base that on one day's worth of articles where they're guilty as sin.

Surprise, surprise decent article for once from Traynor

http://blogs.<No links to this website>/jimtraynor/...at-but-the.html

"Why is one man a cheat but the other one isn't"

Just waiting to see the, its because he plays for ROI card or racial discrimination card coming to the for as by way of a defence for him and a smokescreen

I listened to Traynor's Press Talk on BBC Radio Scotland earlier this evening. He hosted fellow hacks, Michael Grant and Tom English. There was concensus that Plastic had dived, but Dublin born'n'bred and Scotland on Sunday Chief Sports Writer, Tom English could not share his fellow journos' belief that McGeady had cheated. Strangely, he then launched into a categorisation of cheating. Four levels, Kyle Lafferty at the very top, then Rivaldo, next Eduardo, and finally Plastic McGeady. Further, he would NOT have cautioned Plastic had he been the referee, he would have had a word with him.

I suppose what I am attempting to highlight, is the clear exercise in search for comfort being perpetrated by the Yahoo media. It's a warped rationale.

I listened to Traynor's Press Talk on BBC Radio Scotland earlier this evening. He hosted fellow hacks, Michael Grant and Tom English. There was concensus that Plastic had dived, but Dublin born'n'bred and Scotland on Sunday Chief Sports Writer, Tom English could not share his fellow journos' belief that McGeady had cheated. Strangely, he then launched into a categorisation of cheating. Four levels, Kyle Lafferty at the very top, then Rivaldo, next Eduardo, and finally Plastic McGeady. Further, he would NOT have cautioned Plastic had he been the referee, he would have had a word with him.

I suppose what I am attempting to highlight, is the clear exercise in search for comfort being perpetrated by the Yahoo media. It's a warped rationale.

Unbelievable.....and some wonder why some of us have real issues with elements of the press..