Hypothetical Situation

BlueSuedeSambas

While watching the Carling Cup Final I noticed that as John Terry was being stretchered off the pitch after that kick to the head the Arsenal fans had the dignity to give him a standing ovation even though tensions were running high and the game was becoming quite heated.

It made me wonder if we would we see that same sort of dignity from either side of the Old Firm if something similar (god willing it never does) happened to a player during a very heated and important Old Firm game, such as a cup final?

Personally I would appluad the player as I would'nt wish injury on anybody, and I have no doubts that some fans from both sets of fans would put the tension of a football game and probably personal dislike of a player to one side and have the decency to show both respect and also sympathy towards the player in question. However at the same time I think there are always going to be fans on both sides who would refuse to do such a thing and would also probably gloat about it.

What would you do and what are everybodies thoughts and opinions on this? Obviously this might have happened before but as a younger bear I can't think of any times when it has recently.

The Real Madrid fans, who despise Barca almost as much as the OF despise each other, applauded Ronaldinho in unison when he gave them a total mauling at the Bernabau.

The OF would never do that though; Laudrup and Larsson crushed the other side many times; no applause.

In direct comparison to your point of view, Celtic's equivalent of Terry would probably be Pressley - would the Rangers fans applaud him off if the same happened? I'd think we'd boo him, and I think Celtic would do the same if our Barry suffered the same trauma.

Slightly of the topic, did Rangers fans not have a banner,..... think it was in the main stand, years ago in a Old Firm game, wishing Alan Stubbs all the best , in his fight against cancer.......a nice gesture.

Yes, but he wasn't on the pitch. Both sets of fans have honoured greats from the other side; us and Jinkie, them and Slim Jim.

But I don't think we'd see the same dignity if it was a player on the pitch.

JMO.

Guest orangpendek

there's no chance of it. i can think of 2 examples, jim duffy playing for dundee in about 86/7 at ibrox wrecks his knee. leave spitch to chants of glory glory what a hell of a way to die etc. some time later v hamilton a player i don't know broke his leg and ws stretchered off to the same 'to die a fenian bastard' song. turned out his family were all massive bears and were in the main stand. not only did it show we wouldn't clap anyone of the pitch, it also showed what a lot of irish political activists there were in the premier league of the 80s. of course, at the time i thought i was just abusing them for being catholics, but now i know better.

I think JT being the England Captain might have been a reason the Arsenal fans done it.

I'm not saying they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't an Englishman.

Nice to see, all the same.

I remember being at Ibrox for the Old Firm game when Albertz knocked out Paul Lamberts teeth, before smashing in the resulting penalty! B) Anyway, Lambert got stretchered off and i'm pretty sure the majority of the Rangers fans, including myself, clapped him off. Might have had something to do with the fact he'd just got injured while giving us a penalty mind you! :lol:

I wonder what happened many many years ago when the Celtic GK John Thompson? was killed by accident in an OF game? Anyone know?

If I remember correctly the Rangers Fans were making a lot of noise till one of our players told them to calm down and they realised how serious it was.

I've got a book that covers it, will research it tonight if I get time.

I remember being at Ibrox for the Old Firm game when Albertz knocked out Paul Lamberts teeth, before smashing in the resulting penalty! B) Anyway, Lambert got stretchered off and i'm pretty sure the majority of the Rangers fans, including myself, clapped him off. Might have had something to do with the fact he'd just got injured while giving us a penalty mind you! :lol:

Some of us were screaming that he should have got a red, he was already on a booking.

Some of us were screaming that he should have got a red, he was already on a booking.

Well he should have been given a red card, irrespective of his injury.

As for the same attitude happening at an Old Firm match, I really doubt it would happen in the current day and age, would love it if it were to happen and maybe one day in the future it will (when does Lennon retire). Of course I would never want a player from either side to be in that position in the first place.

While watching the Carling Cup Final I noticed that as John Terry was being stretchered off the pitch after that kick to the head the Arsenal fans had the dignity to give him a standing ovation even though tensions were running high and the game was becoming quite heated.

It made me wonder if we would we see that same sort of dignity from either side of the Old Firm if something similar (god willing it never does) happened to a player during a very heated and important Old Firm game, such as a cup final?

Personally I would appluad the player as I would'nt wish injury on anybody, and I have no doubts that some fans from both sets of fans would put the tension of a football game and probably personal dislike of a player to one side and have the decency to show both respect and also sympathy towards the player in question. However at the same time I think there are always going to be fans on both sides who would refuse to do such a thing and would also probably gloat about it.

What would you do and what are everybodies thoughts and opinions on this? Obviously this might have happened before but as a younger bear I can't think of any times when it has recently.

I'd throw a shoe at him :lol:

Hmmm.......yeah thats right, i forgot about that. Don't know what i was getting it mixed up with <cr>

I wonder what happened many many years ago when the Celtic GK John Thompson? was killed by accident in an OF game? Anyone know?

From ‘The Old Firm’ by Bill Murray (3rd Edition, 2000)

‘Meiklejohn, who had to silence his own fans shortly after the accident, later had to approach the referee to complain about the barracking of English by Celtic followers.’ (p146)