Jerome Rothen on Urinea & needing a strong Referee

Boab

By John McGarry, 18/10/2009

RANGERS were sent into a Champions League tailspin against Sevilla because their referee was far too weak.

But Jerome Rothen fears that worse could follow against Unirea Urziceni if Tuesday's official isn't strong enough.

Sevilla may have gone on to win comfortably on match night two but Swedish referee Jonas Eriksson's failure to award a blatant penalty when Steven Naismith was tripped in the box denied Rangers a major foothold in the game that night.

Dan Petrescu's Romanian champions come to Ibrox with a reputation for an expansive passing game but with a bad name for enjoying some footballing theatrics.

Ex-Gers striker Steven MacLean, who's now at Plymouth, saw this at first hand during a friendly in the summer - and he has warned his former club that the Unirea players will need no second invitation to hit the deck.

It's an unfortunate trait Rothen has also witnessed when he's faced Romanian opposition at both club and international level.

Although the Frenchman knows Rangers firstly have to play well enough to win the game, he feels the man in the middle could hold the key to his side's fortunes.

The on-loan PSG winger, left, said: "I think it's in the Romanian mentality - but they are not in the position they are in as a club only through cheating.

"Obviously these things can change a match but in the long term it's not good. There isn't one team specifically I remember doing it but the Romanians and Italians are known for it.

"I've experience of it. I have played against the Romanian national team and we won 2-0 over there. I've played against Steaua Bucharest and Rapid Bucharest at club level as well.

"It's very important we have a strong referee this week. We hope that he is better than the one we had when we played Sevilla.

"The mentality here is different. That people want to play properly and by the rules, the same as in England.

"I respect the mentality here. It's a good one and that was one of the main factors which attracted me.

"Unirea are obviously a good team and this is a very important match for us to win because psychologically a win would give us an advantage over both them and Stuttgart. It's maybe not crucial to win both games against Unirea but if we can take four points that would give us a good chance."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...ons-League.html

"It's maybe not crucial to win both games against Unirea but if we can take four points that would give us a good chance."

Hopefully this isn't the attitude of the rest of the team because we should be looking for 6 points in these next 2 games.

"It's maybe not crucial to win both games against Unirea but if we can take four points that would give us a good chance."

Hopefully this isn't the attitude of the rest of the team because we should be looking for 6 points in these next 2 games.

Shite attitude, fuck off!

It's maybe not crucial to win both games against Unirea but if we can take four points that would give us a good chance."

Fucking hell. What happened to wanting to & believing you WILL win every game??

If we can't beat Unirea we don't deserve to remain in Europe at all let alone the Champions League.

They're a decent side but if we have any aims to progress we need to be beating them, at least in the home game!

Four points from the two games has to be the aim.

If we can do that it should put us in a position where if we beat Stuttgart at home we're through.

I think behind closed doors the guys will be looking to pick up 6 points. It's the old cliche of not blabbing to the press or being over cocky stating we're gonna take six points off this team. The Romanians are also in a position where they are more than capable of raising there game especially at home. Rangers find this to be the case most weeks in the spl. Target should be 6 but 4 keeps it nicely in the balance for Stuttgart at home.