Major rebuilding needed....once again!

Muff

Come the summer of 2010, we find ourselves once again having to make major changes to our squad, due to a lack of numbers, positions, lack of quality, players out of contract....and unfortunatley, we don't have the money.

I don't know any other club that chops, and changes each summer like we do, and it has been going on for far too long now.

Next summer, 8 players will be out of contract, and IMO, not one of them should be rewarded with a new deal; Jerome Rothen, David Weir, Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Smith, Steven Lennon, Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo, and DaMarcus Beasley.

On top of that, the likes of Pedro Mendes, Madjid Bougherra, and Steven Davis could all be targetted by other clubs, meaning more players required?

At this moment in time we require a RB, 2 CB's, LB, RM/W, LM/W, and at least one ST - there is not a chance of us getting in half of these players, and who know's who will be incharge - hopefully none of the current management staff!

We have at least three youngsters who could help out here; CB - Danny Wilson, LB and LM/W - Gregg Wylde, and ACM/2nd ST, ST - John Fleck. On top of that, Andrew Little, who is a ST. There are also names, who may not be ready just now but possibly next season; Jamie Ness, Archie Campbell, Ross Perry....

It's now past the middle of October, and we are suffering with loss of form, injuries, suspensions, and continuing to play players out of position, yet these players can't get a sniff, and when they do, they are shunted out of position.

In the next season or so we will have a group of young players pushing for a starting place

Walter Smith, 18th January, 2008.

Regardless of the current financial state of the situation at Rangers, any club with limited capabilities to deal in the transfer market must then look to youth development. That applies to every club in Scotland.

Jimmy Sinclair, January 2009.

rationalise the squad and look to develop young talent through Murray Park

David Murray, January, 2009.

We have a group of younger ones who can step up and pull on the blue jersey and make us all very proud.

David Murray, June, 2009.

We have John Fleck, Jamie Ness and Danny Wilson now knocking on the first-team door and they will feature next season

David Murray replying to the 'We Deserve Better' campaign, January, 2009.

For talent, we have a number of young players who are capable of competing in the first team

Walter Smith, June 2009.

We were told in the January/February, and the summer of 2009, that the squad had to be cut down, and youth would be given their chance. We have been told by the likes of Sinclair, Durrant, McCoist, Smith, and Murray, that youth is the way, and that we have talented players - yet no sign of them, even when we are struggling for numbers in certain areas.

There is no ambition at this club, no planning, or forward thinking, and it's just complete and utter rubbish that they come out with, time and time again.

There is no excuse for not playing the likes of Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde, John Fleck (in his proper position)...from the start in games like the Cooperative Cup, or when we are 2,3-0 up in league games....there is no excuse to start them in SPL games, instead of shoehorning certain players into positions where they are not comfortable. Yet, we give Andrew Little his full debut, out of position in a must win Old Firm match - I really don't understand this?

These players are the future, and they are not getting their chance, so when it comes to eventually playing them, they are not ready as a result of this.

Even without the troubles we are experiencing, these players should be getting a chance, and they are certainly no worse than what is being put out on the park. So when it comes down to having to rebuild yet again next summer, and some of these names are still not mentioned/getting a game, we all know who is to blame, even after everything that has been said over the last few seasons.

These players could save the club millions, they may not, but if you don't give them the chance, then how the fuck are we going to find out?

I've been comtemplating this very article for a while now Muff, but I don't have the willpower to find all the quotes from earlier this year where Smith said that youngsters would be given a chance.

Before anyone says it, Fleck getting 20 minutes here and there along with Little getting a start at RB because he was the very last resort isn't 'giving youth a chance', in my eyes.

Sadly, it sounds like false promises aimed at keeping the fans happy. Yet again, I should add.

They must think we're a bit stupid at boardroom level.

Are any of them really good enough though? I think most of those quotes were just to either appease supporters who question the youth system at Murray Park. If Walter really thought any of them were better than what we have then i think they would be playing.

He seemed to think that Fleck was capable of being a first-team player and so far he hasn't shown that. I honestly don't think we have anything better in the youth system than what is on display right now, and that is extremely worrying.

It is all well and good asking for these boys to be given a chance, but right now when the fans are raging with the team it would be a nightmare for their confidence if they were to come in and have a bad game.

I agree with you BITC i don't believe for a second we have the quality in our youth ranks to replace what we have now.

Fleck the apparent wonderkid (and i and not writing him off) looks nowhere near ready and the position he was playing in is not an excuse he was lacking in veery department. People who have seen a lot of this boy really rate him but he made no impact and he was meant to be streets ahead of the rest.

Fans will be kept happy by winning i don't think many of us are really as obsessed as some of you seem to be by playing people u20. Walters watches these guys every day how often do you guys really see them play ?

If Walter really thought any of them were better than what we have then i think they would be playing.

I don't tbh, I just can't see Walter giving them that chance or several sub appearances.

Wonderful OP btw.

We'll never know until they are given the chance. Gregg Wylde looked comfortable when he came on earlier on in the season, John Fleck has performed on some occassions. Andrew Little did well last season, and can't be judged on his last outing as he injured himself within 2 minutes....

Are they any worse than the likes of Lee McCulloch, Steven Smith, Steven Whittaker....? If they are, then they must be horrific.

More and more SPL sides are playing youngsters, and whenever they come up against us, they seem to do a good job, and cause us problems: Fraser Fyvie, Micheal Paton, Murray Davidson, Steven Saunders, David Wotherspoon....they are also showing on a regular basis that they can compete at this level.

No-one will know how good they really are until they're given a chance at first team level.

Would you be happy to lose the league to test that theory ?

I've seen enough of the youngsters to have the personal opinion that they wouldn't make us any worse.

If anything, their drive and enthusiasm would improve us.

I don't think we'd be in any greater danger of losing the league by playing some young, willing (and talented) lads in their natural position than we currently are by shoehorning McCulloch, Papac or Smith in any position going.

No-one will know how good they really are until they're given a chance at first team level.

Could just as easily lose the league playing McCulloch at CB, Rothen on the right, Stevie Smith in midfield....it's been done before!

Every match I turn on to watch there is at least one youngster in the team being given a chance to prove themsleves. Now I'm sure every club has at least one gem in their youth ranks it is all about trying to find that one. But how can you find it when you ever play them?

I've seen enough of the youngsters to have the personal opinion that they wouldn't make us any worse.

I don't think we'd be in any greater danger of losing the league by playing some young, willing (and talented) lads in their natural position than we currently are by shoehorning McCulloch, Papac or Smith in any position going.

Spot on.

I think Broadfoot (:anguish:), Novo and Boyd will at least have contract discussions.

The youngsters situation is an odd one, as those quotes show we were told that by this time we'd have young players as a proper part of the first team squad yet very little has come of it. When the first team players just aren't doing it then the youngsters should be considered, for example could the likes of Wilson, Perry and McMillan be any worse at centre half than McCulloch and Weir?

Fleck hasn't kicked a ball this season, two games i would have given him pass marks last season.

Comparisons with other SPL teams are pointless unless it is Celtic, only they have the same pressures we do... i.e. you must win every week. I am all for dropping players if they are not performing but what comes in must be better not just playing because they are young. Our record is terrible in producing young players so i just don't believe what we have just now are good enough to come in and win us the league

The problem with playing youngsters "us" the fans the people at the games on the forums the phone ins ect.As i have said before until we accept playing

the youngsters is to accept the inconsistencey that goes along with them.large successful clubs man unt,arsenal and the likes can play 1or 2 youngsters now and then get away with it due to the ability of the other players we have not got the luxury of this due to the dearth of talent at ibrox.The only way

imo is to go down the line of blooding the ones we hope will become first teamers and for the fans to be understanding and accept the mistakes,

can we i doubt it we need to change our mindset first

were going to lose the league already the way we are playing. we have been extremely lucky to be at top of the spl so far.

Iain, i've watched quite a few U19 games this season which most of our highly rated youngsters were playing in and they didn't look any better, and sometimes worse, than the lads from the other SPL teams. So i'm basing my oppinion purely on that.

Smaller clubs in the league rely on young players to a great extent and if our boys are struggling against the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen U19s then what makes you think they can compete in the first team?

I used to be the first to shout from the rooftops that lads like Fleck, Wilson, Little and Loy should be in the team every week, but now that i think about it more i start to wonder whether they just aren't good enough.

Not really what i asked ? Why will these other young guys adapt better than Fleck who is menat to be miles ahead of them ?

How much have you seen of them papa, not having a go just interested....

There's a big difference between using youth when we need to because of injury/suspension/loss of form to the first team, and throwing them in for the whole season.

Of course we're going to get neither of these options. About 3 younger players will probably rack up about 100 minutes of first team action between them by the end of the season, and that'll be it.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

were going to lose the league already the way we are playing. we have been extremely lucky to be at top of the spl so far.

The guys playing now are far better than they are showing though, they have scope to improve massively and the majority of them are proven to be the best players in the SPL.....