My Rangers Irritations! (there's a few)

Chambo

Like everyone else on here I love nothing more than watching Rangers play well and win but they're are so many things that frustrate me about Rangers just now so I thought i'd get them off my chest!

First of all a 1-1 draw away in Romania was by no means a terrible result when you consider other results in Europe this year (Ruban Kazan springs to mind) but it was a game we really needed to win so that brings me to my first irritation...

Our lack of invention, drive and tactical awareness!

Last night was a game we needed to win but we set up with a team that has 'playing for a draw' written all over it!

A poor striker (Lee McCulloch) playing an important role in midfield and two strikers (Lafferty and Naismith) with no skill, pace or drive playing wide!

Then of course we have one guy up front (Miller) who can't hold a ball up, can't win a header, and can't finish!

Why when we need to win a game do we not actually have a go at a team?

Now i'm not the biggest Boyd fan but why not couple the striker who does all the donkey work with the striker who can stick the ball in the net?

Why not play wingers with a bit of pace, guile and ability to get past a man and create chances for your strikers, maybe Novo or Fleck?

Also why does our midfield always get passed off the park? Whether it's Unirea, Sevilla, Motherwell, Hibs or Falkirk we always seem to be on the back foot with our midfield chasing shadows!!

Why can't we get a hold of the ball and dictate games?

And why can't we finish teams off? We seem to think at 1-0 up we can just take the foot off the gas and defend the lead. Here's an new idea.....Why not once we've scored one go and score fucking two!!

Bar the Celtic game I can't remember the last time we finished a team off! Even the Celtic game they gifted us two goals then we didn't have a kick of the ball the rest of the game!

Falkirk and Hamilton at home are the only two league games we've won by more than a goal and both were in August!

I know we don't have the money of years gone by but surely we have players capable of having a go at teams and looking as if we want to win a game?

Secondly...

Players not playing to potential or just not good enough!

Whittaker - Why can he be so good one game and then, like last night, can't find a Rangers player with a pass for a whole match? When he has a bad game he's shocking and spends the whole game putting the defence under pressure!

McCulloch - I'm finding it hard to blame McCulloch for anything because really it's not his fault we keep asking him to play. He's simple not good enough!!

Davis - Why for a CM has he been poor everytime he plays CM? I like Davis but he's always so much more effective on the right. We really need Davis to put some performances in, he's the one player that can give us the drive and urgency we lack!

Thomson - I know he probably still finding his fitness and touch from his injury and I hope he gets back to the Thommo of old but recently all he does is give the ball away. Again this puts us under huge pressure when your main CM can't keep posession of the ball!

Naismith - For a small guy he puts himself about and wins his fair share of headers against bigger opponents but apart from that I don't see what he does!? Can't beat a man with skill, has no pace and doesn't score enough goals. Everyone seems to be praising him from the roof tops but i've never joined in the hype. I just think he's another average player trying his best for his boyhood club

Lafferty - Six foot five and can't win a header. Doesn't really beat a man. Can't tackle. Gives a foul away every time the ball is near him. Don't really see why we paid £3.5m for him.

Miller - As i said above, a striker who can't score goals, can't win a header and can't hold the ball up. Playing up front himself exposes him badly. The ball just keeps coming back at the Rangers defence because he can't hold it up. We need to play him up top with someone else so his hard work comes to fruition or if we get an offer in January for him, and the offer contains the word 'million' somewhere we should bite their hand off!

End on a positive....

Danny Wilson - He was absolutely outstanding last night. Mature beyond his years. He's quick, he can tackle, he can pass, he throws himself at shots. On current form/performance he should not be out the team when everyone is fit. A real star in the making!!

So maybe Murray park does work and we just need to utilise it better. More like Wilson would be a welcome bonus!

[/rant]

Agreed !!

Last night was screaming for Beasley wide with Novo and Boyd up top ....Walter has to take as much of the blame as the players.

Simple fact of the matter is we're shite and it's only bacause the Scottish league is shite that we have any chance of winning it.

Throw this Rangers side back to the mid 80's when Fergie ran Aberdeen,McLean ran Utd and Sellik and Hearts were playing well and you would see us struggle for 4th or 5th just like we did then and our then legend of a manager (Jock Wallace) was sacked.

Nothing to disagree with there Chambo. I'd add that we never, ever close other teams down, we give them so much space to play in. We seem incapable of tracking players' runs as well, how many times is an opposition player in acres of space waiting for the ball? :anguish:

Like everyone else on here I love nothing more than watching Rangers play well and win but they're are so many things that frustrate me about Rangers just now so I thought i'd get them off my chest!

First of all a 1-1 draw away in Romania was by no means a terrible result when you consider other results in Europe this year (Ruban Kazan springs to mind) but it was a game we really needed to win so that brings me to my first irritation...

Our lack of invention, drive and tactical awareness!

Last night was a game we needed to win but we set up with a team that has 'playing for a draw' written all over it!

A poor striker (Lee McCulloch) playing an important role in midfield and two strikers (Lafferty and Naismith) with no skill, pace or drive playing wide!

Then of course we have one guy up front (Miller) who can't hold a ball up, can't win a header, and can't finish!

Why when we need to win a game do we not actually have a go at a team?

Now i'm not the biggest Boyd fan but why not couple the striker who does all the donkey work with the striker who can stick the ball in the net?

Why not play wingers with a bit of pace, guile and ability to get past a man and create chances for your strikers, maybe Novo or Fleck?

Also why does our midfield always get passed off the park? Whether it's Unirea, Sevilla, Motherwell, Hibs or Falkirk we always seem to be on the back foot with our midfield chasing shadows!!

Why can't we get a hold of the ball and dictate games?

And why can't we finish teams off? We seem to think at 1-0 up we can just take the foot off the gas and defend the lead. Here's an new idea.....Why not once we've scored one go and score fucking two!!

Bar the Celtic game I can't remember the last time we finished a team off! Even the Celtic game they gifted us two goals then we didn't have a kick of the ball the rest of the game!

Falkirk and Hamilton at home are the only two league games we've won by more than a goal and both were in August!

I know we don't have the money of years gone by but surely we have players capable of having a go at teams and looking as if we want to win a game?

Secondly...

Players not playing to potential or just not good enough!

Whittaker - Why can he be so good one game and then, like last night, can't find a Rangers player with a pass for a whole match? When he has a bad game he's shocking and spends the whole game putting the defence under pressure!

McCulloch - I'm finding it hard to blame McCulloch for anything because really it's not his fault we keep asking him to play. He's simple not good enough!!

Davis - Why for a CM has he been poor everytime he plays CM? I like Davis but he's always so much more effective on the right. We really need Davis to put some performances in, he's the one player that can give us the drive and urgency we lack!

Thomson - I know he probably still finding his fitness and touch from his injury and I hope he gets back to the Thommo of old but recently all he does is give the ball away. Again this puts us under huge pressure when your main CM can't keep posession of the ball!

Naismith - For a small guy he puts himself about and wins his fair share of headers against bigger opponents but apart from that I don't see what he does!? Can't beat a man with skill, has no pace and doesn't score enough goals. Everyone seems to be praising him from the roof tops but i've never joined in the hype. I just think he's another average player trying his best for his boyhood club

Lafferty - Six foot five and can't win a header. Doesn't really beat a man. Can't tackle. Gives a foul away every time the ball is near him. Don't really see why we paid £3.5m for him.

Miller - As i said above, a striker who can't score goals, can't win a header and can't hold the ball up. Playing up front himself exposes him badly. The ball just keeps coming back at the Rangers defence because he can't hold it up. We need to play him up top with someone else so his hard work comes to fruition or if we get an offer in January for him, and the offer contains the word 'million' somewhere we should bite their hand off!

End on a positive....

Danny Wilson - He was absolutely outstanding last night. Mature beyond his years. He's quick, he can tackle, he can pass, he throws himself at shots. On current form/performance he should not be out the team when everyone is fit. A real star in the making!!

So maybe Murray park does work and we just need to utilise it better. More like Wilson would be a welcome bonus!

[/rant]

Superb post, nodding in agreement at every point.

stting so deep is what is our main problem and as much as i love him i think we may have gone a year too far with weir, this weekend if boogie is fit i would like him and Wilson together at the back meaning we can defend from te half way line meaning our midfielders dont have 70 yards of the pitch to cover between the 4-5 of them against the back 4 and midfield 4 of the opposition .