The difference between glory and despair - 4 players

There has been much discussion about how Rangers, and Scottish football in general, are currently 'light-years' behind the rest of Europe. Yet the startling fact is no fewer than 8 of the players who let us down against Stuttgart on Tuesday played in the UEFA Cup final only last year. And of the 11 who started in Manchester, Alexander was on the bench on Tuesday and Broadfoot was injured. Only Cuellar, Ferguson, Hemdani and Darcheville have left the club. I suppose those were key players that season, but none were world-class. Basically, we just need a solid spine in the team again, and we could be respectable in Europe.

It seems to me we miss Barry Ferguson the most though, especially in Europe. He played more matches in Europe than any other player and that is why he is a Rangers legend. A performance like that in Europe on Tuesday simply could not have happened (or at least never did) when Ferguson was playing. Hemdani was also an ever-present in Europe in 2008, proving that keeping the ball is all-important. These guys got plenty of stick, yet by comparison Kevin Thomson seems lost without them, and Mendes also dissappointed in Europe. So, what 4 players would you sign if you could to rebuild the Rangers?

I think 908 we have to be careful making comparisons with the UEFA run. At times we were as Mr Kipling would say...exceedingly fortunate during the course of that run...when luck and good fortune balanced our lack of talent.

I thought our midfield was particularly poor against Stuggart...in fact for most of the campaign. Thomson is far too defensively minded...particularly when you consider McCulloch was playing behind him in a holding role. Probably our best performance in the UEFA run was in Portugal when Whittaker attacked their defenders to score the goal of the tourney.

Sadly that kind of adventurous midfield play has been absent this season.

Smith has to change it totally i think for Saturday and drop the underachievers

I'd push Whittaker up to right wing cos he can't defend worth a fuck and replace him with Boogie at right back.

drop McCulloch and Thomson and put in Davis and Fleck with Davis holding and Fleck attacking..Give Beasley a chance out left and give the team balance and Play Lafferty as a striker with Boyd

-------------------McGregor---------------

Boogie-----Weir-------------Wilson---------Papac

Whitty---------Davis-------Fleck-----------Beasley

--------Boyd--------------------Lafferty-

I'd push Whittaker up to right wing cos he can't defend worth a fuck and replace him with Boogie at right back.

drop McCulloch and Thomson and put in Davis and Fleck with Davis holding and Fleck attacking..Give Beasley a chance out left and give the team balance and Play Lafferty as a striker with Boyd

Davis holding even though the best part of his game is his creativity which would be restricted by not having a ball winner beside him in the middle of the park? Lafferty and Beasley playing as well?

Good stuff, but I still have this nagging doubt that we will never see Boogie in a Rangers jersey again.....

Lafferty and boyd is a worse strike force than when we played darcheville and cousin against aberdeen (thanks walter)

beasley is pish, he'll always be too lightweight and create absolutely fuck all! should never play again.

fleck in the middle with davis is an interestin prospect. No DM in the team tho, its aberdeen for fuk sake!

Whittaker should be dropped for that shocking display on tuesday. he is absolutely rotten. I'd play bougherrra at RB as well.

I'd play novo on the left and naismith if fit on the right. Miller and boyd up front.

McCulloch should be trainin with the 19's from now on. I actually Hate that cunt more than i've ever hated a gers player.

I've never 'hated' a Rangers player.

cos they play for rangers?

McCulloch is horrible in every single way, i wouldnt say i hated him if i didnt see him in the papers every fuckin week talkin a complete power of shite. Sayin we'll win the treble and boyd is a nightmare to share a room with. Its obvious smith just sends him out to the media cos he canny run about and foul every cunt in training so there's no need for him. The guy makes me sick.

There has been much discussion about how Rangers, and Scottish football in general, are currently 'light-years' behind the rest of Europe. Yet the startling fact is no fewer than 8 of the players who let us down against Stuttgart on Tuesday played in the UEFA Cup final only last year. And of the 11 who started in Manchester, Alexander was on the bench on Tuesday and Broadfoot was injured. Only Cuellar, Ferguson, Hemdani and Darcheville have left the club. I suppose those were key players that season, but none were world-class. Basically, we just need a solid spine in the team again, and we could be respectable in Europe.

It seems to me we miss Barry Ferguson the most though, especially in Europe. He played more matches in Europe than any other player and that is why he is a Rangers legend. A performance like that in Europe on Tuesday simply could not have happened (or at least never did) when Ferguson was playing. Hemdani was also an ever-present in Europe in 2008, proving that keeping the ball is all-important. These guys got plenty of stick, yet by comparison Kevin Thomson seems lost without them, and Mendes also dissappointed in Europe. So, what 4 players would you sign if you could to rebuild the Rangers?

:craphead::craphead: :craphead: :craphead:

I think we should sign 4 Barry Fergusons, cos then they can all be the leader n'that and moan at the weans and moan if we do too much training and they can all fight with each other for "ma baw". And they would all be Rangers legends cos thats all it takes, and they can dig their heels in and keep our club in the dark ages for a few more years while the rest of europe gets fitter, faster and stronger than ever before.

The only players we miss from that season are the ones we haven't replaced: Hemdani, HUTTON and a lone striker in the mould of Darcheville or even better a happy version of Cousin.

I have to say that if anybody can't see where we miss Barry Ferguson - at his peak - then they must be wearing blinkers. Same goes for Hemdani - in Europe these are the types of player we need, whether you like it or not. I am honestly struggling to think of a European match at Ibrox when Ferguson was playing, where we chased shadows all night as we have in the last 3 at Ibrox. Whether he was finished and £1million was good business or not is a different matter, however he is still getting a game every week in the Premiership. Could Kevin Thomson hack it there? I have to say sadly I doubt it.

The only quality player we have right now is Davis, in my opinion. Whittaker's performances at right-back have me pining more and more for the return of Kirk Broadfoot, while Kyle Lafferty looks less and less like a £3million footballer. In fact he looks less and less like a footballer full stop. Both are being played out of position however, especially Lafferty. We would be as well playing Boyd on the right wing. Both Chris Burke and Charlie Adam looked far more comfortable in the Champions League than Lafferty does. We need 2 strong centre-halves, at least one of whom must be able to play football, a half-decent centre forward who can lead the line, hold the ball up and beat defenders in the air (like Cousin) and a combative midfielder, if Thomson doesn't improve pretty soon. Maybe Edu can fill that role if he gets fit. But most of all we need some width in the team. That was what we were really crying out for on Tuesday, you can't play attacking football without at least 1 good wide player..

I have to agree with the Fergie backers here.

I really don't believe we'd have been humiliated the way we were in the 3 home games if he'd still have been here.

We had no leadership whatsoever, no one urging the team on etc the way Ferguson did even when he wasn't playing at his best. Having watched him in a few games at Birmingham this season he looks to be doing a decent job down there at the momment.

We don't miss Ferguson?? doh Yeah because the midfielders we have in our squad are doing their job aint they, McCulloch, Thomson? :craphead: Davis is way off form and needs a right good boot up the arse because it's really not been good enough!!

Didnt see us crumble in Champions League when we had Hemdani and Ferguson in the middle!

Hemdani/Ferguson or McCulloch/Thomson................know who I'd rather have! <cr>

didnt fergie play in the 3-0 home humping by lyon????????????

and forget about the champions league, our last loss in the SPL was at ibrox when caley thistle humiliated us, and guess who was "leading" us that night

right now we are missing mendes, a player that can take the ball and find another team mate with it 99% of the time, mcculloch and thomson we know cannot do this that amount of times

but to say we miss fergie is a slap in the face to the players that romped to the league title without him last season

as ive said before, ergie didnt win ANY old firm games last season, and the team won the 2 he WASNT playing in

Davis holding even though the best part of his game is his creativity which would be restricted by not having a ball winner beside him in the middle of the park? Lafferty and Beasley playing as well?

I think that side is good enough to beat Aberdeen and i feel that a message has to be sent that shockin displays every week then pickin up silly money will not be tolerated anymore..........I did think Naismith and Boyd up top but i heard naismith is injured and i would never start with Novo........If Mendes was fit i'd drop Whitty and move Davis over