• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter Smith tracks American internationalist Stuart Holden

Thomas Jordan

0 comments

Published on 20 Nov 2009

Walter Smith has identified Stuart Holden, the ­American internationalist, as his primary transfer target should he find himself in a position to add to his squad during the January transfer window.

The financial situation at the club dictates that no new players will be arriving at Ibrox until a takeover has been completed. It is understood there are a number of parties still interested in gaining control of the SPL champions.

In the meantime, Smith has to continue to work away behind the scenes in case he should find himself in a position to move into the transfer market and is already well down the line in his pursuit of the 24-year-old Dynamo Houston midfielder.

The Herald understands Rangers have watched Holden twice recently, with chief scout Ewan Chester 
running the rule over the ­player as the USA went down 3-1 in a friendly earlier this week.

Maurice Johnston, the former Scotland and Old Firm striker, is believed to have ­recommended Holden to Rangers’ assistant manager Ally McCoist after notifying him of his availability on a free transfer.

Johnston also put the Ibrox club on the trail of Maurice Edu initially and the ­midfielder eventually moved from Toronto FC in a £2.5m transfer at the beginning of last season.

Aberdeen-born Holden, who emigrated with his ­parents when he was 10, has won 10 caps for the US, scoring two goals in the process. His contract is set to expire at the end of next month and a host of clubs are thought to be monitoring his progress.

After two previous failed ventures at Sunderland and Newcastle as a teenager, Holden is thought to harbour ambitions of trying his luck outside of America. It is believed he has also spoken at length with Edu regarding life in Glasgow and playing for Rangers.

Walter Smith tracks American internationalist Stuart Holden

Thomas Jordan

0 comments

Published on 20 Nov 2009

Walter Smith has identified Stuart Holden, the ­American internationalist, as his primary transfer target should he find himself in a position to add to his squad during the January transfer window.

The financial situation at the club dictates that no new players will be arriving at Ibrox until a takeover has been completed. It is understood there are a number of parties still interested in gaining control of the SPL champions.

In the meantime, Smith has to continue to work away behind the scenes in case he should find himself in a position to move into the transfer market and is already well down the line in his pursuit of the 24-year-old Dynamo Houston midfielder.

The Herald understands Rangers have watched Holden twice recently, with chief scout Ewan Chester 
running the rule over the ­player as the USA went down 3-1 in a friendly earlier this week.

Maurice Johnston, the former Scotland and Old Firm striker, is believed to have ­recommended Holden to Rangers’ assistant manager Ally McCoist after notifying him of his availability on a free transfer.

Johnston also put the Ibrox club on the trail of Maurice Edu initially and the ­midfielder eventually moved from Toronto FC in a £2.5m transfer at the beginning of last season.

Aberdeen-born Holden, who emigrated with his ­parents when he was 10, has won 10 caps for the US, scoring two goals in the process. His contract is set to expire at the end of next month and a host of clubs are thought to be monitoring his progress.

After two previous failed ventures at Sunderland and Newcastle as a teenager, Holden is thought to harbour ambitions of trying his luck outside of America. It is believed he has also spoken at length with Edu regarding life in Glasgow and playing for Rangers.

ta (tu)

dont know enough about him to comment tbh.

oh and why aren't my posts coming up automatically? i see ive been warned again to 50% for some reason unknown to me as the person responsible doesnt have the courtesy to reply to my PM.

why is this happening to me? <cr>

He can play on the right? is he another slow technical winger, because they dont go down very well up here.

He's not a burner, but he can go up and down the flank all match and not be winded. Definitely faster than Rothen and Naismith I'd say.

Now, would he really hold out for big wages? I mean the MLS have that wage cap thing going on do they not? So I don't think he'd be too greedy, mind you, modern day footballers...

He looks a very good player though. I've seen him on a few of the USA's matches and he played well. With the draw of Edu & Beasley already here, he'd certainly consider it I would think.

These American Links... Coming from Mo Johnson? (He 'got' EDU for us). Just wondering.. Is Mo our North American scouting network?

Mostly Serious Loyal.

What scouting network? We only have one scout as far as I know.

Completely reliant on suggestions, Ulsters and games against others teams (Cuellar, Bougherra, Edu, Lafferty, Davis etc)

These American Links... Coming from Mo Johnson? (He 'got' EDU for us). Just wondering.. Is Mo our North American scouting network?

Mostly Serious Loyal.

I think I read somewhere a while back that Walter's brother lives in Atlanta or something and gives him a heads up on certain players here :lol:

Mostly Serious Loyal.

I think I read somewhere a while back that Walter's brother lives in Atlanta or something and gives him a heads up on certain players here :lol:

Cheers TG. I knew something official had to be in place! lol

I've seen Stuart play on TV a couple of times, and what impresses me about him is his speed. He has that pace and is quite intelligent while playing on the pitch.

He would be an asset to the Rangers.

I've seen Stuart play on TV a couple of times, and what impresses me about him is his speed. He has that pace and is quite intelligent while playing on the pitch.

He would be an asset to the Rangers.

So you rate him well then

Who would he come in for in our side just now?