Smith slams Rangers legends

zamba

I'm sure Walter can see the shortcomings in the present side without Gough and Hateley shoving it in his face.

Yea that's why he continues to play McCulloch,Lafferty on the left and Naismith as a centre mid.

He isn't exactly spoiled for choice, is he? Every player in the squad is going to be of a very similar standard no matter who plays. We have injuries to first-team midfielders at the moment and therefore Smith is having to make use of his squad.

I know McCulloch and Naismith are hardly the best of options, neither is Thomson on current form. But who else do you play?

I'd have a reserve/youth player in there before putting a square peg in a round hole mate.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Walter can see the shortcomings in the present side without Gough and Hateley shoving it in his face.

Yea that's why he continues to play McCulloch,Lafferty on the left and Naismith as a centre mid.

He isn't exactly spoiled for choice, is he? Every player in the squad is going to be of a very similar standard no matter who plays. We have injuries to first-team midfielders at the moment and therefore Smith is having to make use of his squad.

I know McCulloch and Naismith are hardly the best of options, neither is Thomson on current form. But who else do you play?

I'd have a reserve/youth player in there before putting a square peg in a round hole mate.

In theory that is fine. But there is no gurantee that the lads who come in are going to do a better job than the current players. Smith got his timing right with introducing both Fleck and Wilson into the team. He waited until he knew they were ready and i trust he will do the same with the other promising players.

But when you look at Fleck, who is the highest rated of all the Murray Park kids, since he has broken into the first team he hasn't been any better than the other midfielders who we all want dropped. That isn't a dig at the lad, because he has the potential to become a very good player, but just an example of how thowing a kid in there doesn't mean he will do better than the status quo.

In theory that is fine. But there is no gurantee that the lads who come in are going to do a better job than the current players. Smith got his timing right with introducing both Fleck and Wilson into the team. He waited until he knew they were ready and i trust he will do the same with the other promising players.

But when you look at Fleck, who is the highest rated of all the Murray Park kids, since he has broken into the first team he hasn't been any better than the other midfielders who we all want dropped. That isn't a dig at the lad, because he has the potential to become a very good player, but just an example of how thowing a kid in there doesn't mean he will do better than the status quo.

Granted but hasn't Fleck also been played out of position?

I'm not saying it would work but i'd rather have a hungry youngster in the team than an out of position first teamer with no worries about losing his place.

Walter has every right to defend himself.

We're having a pretty torrid time of it at the moment and the last thing this club needs is its own fucking legends sticking the boot in.

Critisism without being constructive is pointless and should be saved for the shitebags that want to bring the club to its knee's.

I think it shows that the legends care, and hate to see players that dont care.

It doesnt show they care, it shows they want publicity. In Hately's case anyway.

Like I said, you can be critical all you like but if your not being constructive then its utterly pointless. It's sticking the boot in and its the total opposite of whats needed right now.

Someone posted a thread a while ago about fans on this message board and "we should be sticking together" or something to that effect. That sentiment spreads far wider than just RM and everyone assossiated with the club at this time needs to be backing eachother, not firing in petty critisisms.

Sorry, don't agree at all. Goughie and Mark had every right to say what they said - they're fed up with watching this team giving the same half-arsed performance week in and week out. FFS, a lot of the players on the team have said it's a problem, that they "don't know what it is" but they "have to get it sorted", and yet it doesn't get fixed, almost every game they don't wake up 'till the second Half, other teams are not afraid in the least to come at us 'cause we give them all the space in the world, our set pieces are crap, movement off the ball is a joke (especially in the box), and apart from Boyd there is no one that looks even remotely like scoring most of the time - &c &c &c. All of us have been shouting from the rooftops for ages now about WS playing folks out of position and a host of other ridiculous decisions that every punter and commentator can see plain as day, but apparently Walter can't. That circle-the-wagons mentality from Wattie says it all for me - either he's too blind to see see it, or he does see it and is just too stubborn to change it.

Goughie and Hateley are pissed because these are FIXABLE PROBLEMS, yet week after week they don't get addressed. Walter may not like like getting slated by them - and I can't blame him, I'm sure it stings like hell - but he and this under-performing squad brought the criticism down on themselves. They don't like getting slated, then GET TO WORK AND FIX WHAT'S BROKEN.

I was giong to make a big long post but delparlane has just beat me to it. However, I am somewhat less critical of W.S because the players just don't have the fight a man in blue should have. Only two players even acknowledged the fans at pittodrie last week and that is indicative of the real lack of passion for Rangers this crop seems to have.

The Legends should shut their mouth and show some respect for the man who helped make them what they are.

Yes, Walter is having serious problems this season but he knows this, he doesn't need the boot put into him by people who are supposed to have Rangers at heart.

Explain to me how Gough and Hateley taking pot shots through the gutter tabloids will help our current situation?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Well firstly, the criticisms from "the legends" were justified. They didn't say anything that was not true. I don't view this as putting the boot in, I see this as genuine criticisms of an under performing team.

Secondly, that kind of criticism should be taken as fodder to fire up the imposters wearing the Ranger Jersey right now to go out and prove them and everyone else wrong. So far I have not seen that kind of reaction.

Thirdly, these comments give Walter a perfect (perhaps too perfect) opportunity to "circle the wagons" and generate the siege mentality that Alex Ferguson creates so well and which kicked us on last year to go on to win the league....

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if Walter was on the phone to said legends before their press stories and he orchestrated the whole thing...

"right lads I want you to come out in the paper this week and tell this bunch of lazy no good prima donnas that they have to get their finger out. After you have done that, I am gonna come out and defend them, they will be fired up by your comments and they will be even more in awe of me as their defender and their champion. Then on Saturday they will come out against Falkirk all guns blazing, we will hump them 5 nil and go on a winning streak til the end of the season and we will pick up the treble.... job done.."....

or maybe I am giving people more credit than they deserve :-)

Some wont have a bad word said against him because of 9 in a row.

The reason I don't criticise him as much is because the players on the pitch are getting paid two, three, four, five times as much as the opposition yet you couldn't tell the difference. I know Walter brought these players and ultimately he's responsible for them but he's not at fault for the lack of effort they put in. Take the last game of last season for example; why can't they start like that every game? How come Lafferty turns in a world class performance against Poland and can't control a ball when he plays for us? This team is supposed to be filled with 'die hard Rangers fans' so why can't they motivate themselves for the games? :anguish: I would do anything to play for Rangers but our lot saunter about the pitch and just seem to be content picking up their wage no matter the score.

Walter has his faults, no doubt, and I'm sure everyone can recognise them but far too many are happy to put the boot in at the first opportunity. Some seem to wallow in his mistakes which doesn't make RM an enjoyable place to be post-match. I just hope it's not the same tomorrow.

The reason I don't criticise him as much is because the players on the pitch are getting paid two, three, four, five times as much as the opposition yet you couldn't tell the difference. I know Walter brought these players and ultimately he's responsible for them but he's not at fault for the lack of effort they put in. Take the last game of last season for example; why can't they start like that every game? How come Lafferty turns in a world class performance against Poland and can't control a ball when he plays for us? This team is supposed to be filled with 'die hard Rangers fans' so why can't they motivate themselves for the games? :anguish: I would do anything to play for Rangers but our lot saunter about the pitch and just seem to be content picking up their wage no matter the score.

Walter has his faults, no doubt, and I'm sure everyone can recognise them but far too many are happy to put the boot in at the first opportunity. Some seem to wallow in his mistakes which doesn't make RM an enjoyable place to be post-match. I just hope it's not the same tomorrow.

I actually don't enjoy putting the boot in the WS, to be honest. I know it may not seem like it, but I do have loads of time for the man. I'm just hugely annoyed at seeing the same nonsense week after week when these problems could and should be rectified.

The Legends should shut their mouth and show some respect for the man who helped make them what they are.

Yes, Walter is having serious problems this season but he knows this, he doesn't need the boot put into him by people who are supposed to have Rangers at heart.

Explain to me how Gough and Hateley taking pot shots through the gutter tabloids will help our current situation?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Well firstly, the criticisms from "the legends" were justified. They didn't say anything that was not true. I don't view this as putting the boot in, I see this as genuine criticisms of an under performing team.

Secondly, that kind of criticism should be taken as fodder to fire up the imposters wearing the Ranger Jersey right now to go out and prove them and everyone else wrong. So far I have not seen that kind of reaction.

Thirdly, these comments give Walter a perfect (perhaps too perfect) opportunity to "circle the wagons" and generate the siege mentality that Alex Ferguson creates so well and which kicked us on last year to go on to win the league....

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if Walter was on the phone to said legends before their press stories and he orchestrated the whole thing...

"right lads I want you to come out in the paper this week and tell this bunch of lazy no good prima donnas that they have to get their finger out. After you have done that, I am gonna come out and defend them, they will be fired up by your comments and they will be even more in awe of me as their defender and their champion. Then on Saturday they will come out against Falkirk all guns blazing, we will hump them 5 nil and go on a winning streak til the end of the season and we will pick up the treble.... job done.."....

or maybe I am giving people more credit than they deserve :-)

Thats a pretty good shout, haha, wouldnt surprise me at all

He also said in the interview, basically, that, there were no star players, and, the team was getting by on team work, but, I saw others say things like "defending mcculloch"? Ah well.

(tu)

what right do the legends have to slag off the current squad?

Gough and Hateley come out with their words of wisdom but conveniently forget that had they performed on the european stage and achieved a bit of success Rangers would be in a better financial position now! DM wouldnt have had to bring in DA , we wouldnt have had to spend 80 odd million trying to put a team together that could perform to a reasonable standard in europe !

The current team might not be great to watch but it HAS been succesfull and in comparison to the 9 in a row team has achieved more on the European stage.

And before anyone starts talking about Kaunas and Unirea ... take a look at the European results of the 9 in a row team

Gough and Hateley come out with their words of wisdom but conveniently forget that had they performed on the european stage and achieved a bit of success Rangers would be in a better financial position now! DM wouldnt have had to bring in DA , we wouldnt have had to spend 80 odd million trying to put a team together that could perform to a reasonable standard in europe !

The current team might not be great to watch but it HAS been succesfull and in comparison to the 9 in a row team has achieved more on the European stage.

And before anyone starts talking about Kaunas and Unirea ... take a look at the European results of the 9 in a row team

You have just made me laugh, this team is about the poorest ever Rangers team i have seen, and you mention them in the same breath as the team that won us 9 in a row. :lol:

Here Walter, why don't YOU get YOUR team playing before bleating about others telling it like it is? A lack of fitness, technical ability, poor match sharpness, an obvious lack of time spent on the training ground perfecting set pieces. All this is down to YOU and YOUR over-staffed coaching team.

NIAR is now history and living on past glories will not wash. Go now before any more damage is done.

You make some excellent points mate.

1 SPL Title, 2 Scottish Cups, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Final and all this done with an inept manager apparantly. <cr>

You couldn't make ths stuff up!!!! :lol:

1 SPL Title, 2 Scottish Cups, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Final and all this done with an inept manager apparantly. <cr>

No one is arguing that Walter is a Rangers Legend and always will be. What we are saying is his buy are poor, also his tactics, and he has his pet players, plus playing players out of position.

No one is arguing that Walter is a Rangers Legend and always will be. What we are saying is his buy are poor, also his tactics, and he has his pet players, plus playing players out of position.

It really is quite remarkable that he's been so successful second time around despite poor buys, poor tactics, pet players, playing players out of position, christ he must be the luckiest manager on the planet eh! :D

It really is quite remarkable that he's been so successful second time around despite poor buys, poor tactics, pet players, playing players out of position, christ he must be the luckiest manager on the planet eh! :D

aye...3 cups, a league title and a european final.....the lucky bastard...... :sherlock:

If he wins the league and then steps down his critics look even more ridiculous.....although i hope they do it will be interesting to see if what follows him betters that......

We should be miles clear in the league against what everyone has said is the poorest Celtic team ever.

So you are telling me that this is a good Rangers team, also how many games has Walter won this season. :)