Maurice "The Saviour" Edu

Del

Is it just me or are people building Edu up for a very big fall?

Aye he was playing well before he got injured but people seem to think that he is going to get fit, come back in and be our missing man in the midfield.

I actually think he is a good player but i wouldnt say he was a defensive ball winnning midfielder or that his best attributes were defending,tackling and making interceptions, but some people on here seem to think that hes going to come in and do that role for us.

We always seem to hype up our players then they come back into the team and if they dont hit the ground running, people start to say hes rubbish or not as good now etc. Thomson is a prime example!

I hope Edu does comes back and finds his form again, because we need someone with his physical presence that can actually play football (unlike another numpty we have in midfield just now) hes also got a bit of pace and got a couple of goals in his run in the team last season.

I just hope he gets time to get fit and find his feet!

Good post. I like Maurice Edu but he will admit himself that he was just beginning to feel confident and be a part of the side when he was injured and where he will not dominate the midfield he reads the game well and seldom plays a bad ball.....but we will have to give him time to get his sharpness back.

as i said in my thread about it, my hope is that edu can at least be more athletic in midfield than they 2 juggernauts that played on saturday

to play 2 defensive midfielders and still see the opposition waltz through the middle of our team time and time again nearly had me chucking the telly out the window

when edu came into the team last year it was his ability to even cover his teammates

thomson and mcculloch look so unfit, for being defensive midfielders, thats a fucking joke

im not expecting miracles from edu, just hoping he can at least keep up with the opposing attacking mids when they run at him

Really think Edu will have a massive season for us in the run up to the world cup and then hopefully we will see him up against Gerrard and Lampard and find out how good he really is (tu)

I agree that Mo can help Rangers significantly in the second half of the season, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for him playing against Lamps and Stevie G.

Edu's chances of making the 23 for the U.S. MNT in South Africa are okay, should he return to form, but his chance of starting against England is actually very, very low. The U.S. team is pretty deep at DM/CM. Michael Bradley is guaranteed to start, and he's a bit more of a classic box to box player. Against England I'd expect him to be paired with a DM- one of Ricardo Clark or Jermaine Jones of Schalke. Clark has shown reasonably well for the U.S. in qualifying and in the Confed Cup, while Jones is one of the best midfielders in Germany and has transferred his eligibility to the U.S. after only being capped by Germany in friendlies. He is a beast, but still returning from injury. Clark isn't as good as Jones or even Edu, but Bob Bradley trusts him and Clark's in good form. Clark may be headed to Livorno in Italy in the January window to stay in top form..

Assuming Jermaine Jones fits into the U.S. setup, I doubt two DMs will be on the bench for that first game. Additionally, Edu will face competition from elegant passing and attacking MFs Benny Feilhaber and Jose Fransisco Torres for playing time in the center of the park. So Edu will have chances to get into the team as suspensions etc pile up, because U.S. DMF players are inevitably booked if they step on the field in a WC, but I doubt he sees time against England unless two CMF players suffer injuries between now and June.

Its kind of bizarre but DaMarcus Beasley actually has a better chance of making the team than Edu does at this point in time, because experienced international Left footed attacking players are completely absent from the U.S. setup. Landon Donovan has been playing LW to great effect, but he may be forced to play striker at some point.. Had Edu not suffered his injury, things might be different, but he missed the Confederation's Cup (a watershed moment for the U.S. team) this summer and all the critical WCQs before and after. So Edu has to hope that he can beat out either Jones or Clark just to make the bench in the first game.

We've seen it with both Lafferty and Edu this season and we seen it with Naismith last season.

It seems that Edu is the next one to get that treatment.

For the record I think we are actually missing Mendes more than we are missing Edu.

He's the one that I hope can come in and find his feet again quickly.

I hope he does well when he comes back in but im not to sure about Mendes...

Got a funny feeling he will be fit just in time to pass a medical for someone else, hope im proved wrong though!

I've been thinking exactly the same thing for some many weeks now about Mendes.

I'm getting no vibes from Ibrox that would indicate otherwise.

We've seen it with both Lafferty and Edu this season and we seen it with Naismith last season.

It seems that Edu is the next one to get that treatment.

For the record I think we are actually missing Mendes more than we are missing Edu.

He's the one that I hope can come in and find his feet again quickly.

agreed mate, think we miss his ability to make a SHORT pass (tu)

as i said in my thread about it, my hope is that edu can at least be more athletic in midfield than they 2 juggernauts that played on saturday

to play 2 defensive midfielders and still see the opposition waltz through the middle of our team time and time again nearly had me chucking the telly out the window

when edu came into the team last year it was his ability to even cover his teammates

thomson and mcculloch look so unfit, for being defensive midfielders, thats a fucking joke

im not expecting miracles from edu, just hoping he can at least keep up with the opposing attacking mids when they run at him

There was a time when Hemdani wouldnt play as it was thought we didnt need a DM in the SPL, now we have 1 or 2 playing every league game!!

There was a time when Hemdani wouldnt play as it was thought we didnt need a DM in the SPL, now we have 1 or 2 playing every league game!!

another of smiths classics,

leaving arguably our best player on the bench or not even in the squad and giving mcculloch a role instead

I just hope people are patient and don't turn on Edu the way they have with Thomson. It takes time for people to regain form after a bad injury. Thomson was seen as the saviour while he was out injured but now appears to have been completely writen off by sections of our support. Some fans really are fickle! <cr>

I just hope people are patient and don't turn on Edu the way they have with Thomson. It takes time for people to regain form after a bad injury. Thomson was seen as the saviour while he was out injured but now appears to have been completely writen off by sections of our support. Some fans really are fickle! <cr>

i think the problem with thomson is that he doesnt look like he's progressing though

some even think he played excellent on sat,

dont think playing with mcculloch helps, but i still think thommo should be showing more

I agree with you on that at least.

i think the problem with thomson is that he doesnt look like he's progressing though

some even think he played excellent on sat,

dont think playing with mcculloch helps, but i still think thommo should be showing more

Thomson looked fantastic until his injury but when you've been out for so long after a second career threatening injury it takes time.

People completely wrote Barry Ferguson off as a player last season but he's now shining in the Premiership.

We just have to be patient, Thomson will get back to the player he previously was.