Football on Xmas day

minstral

Can fans mind when we played Hibs at Easter Road on Xmas day in 19-71, and won 1-0 when Colin Stein scored in front of a 30.000 crowd.

Also in 19-65 we payed Dunfermline at Ibrox and lost 3-2 with goals from Forrest, Mclean and a crowd of 35,000.

They are the only 2 games i have been to on Xmas day, although there has been more. Cant see it ever being allowed to play again on Xmas day.

I remember the game at Easter Rd, Stein scored late on after Hibs had given us a bit of a roasting.

Mum never quite came to terms with the footie being more important than xmas dinner......

As you say though, I can't see it ever happening again.

Never knew this.

Quite amazing that 30,000 men managed to get away from the wifes to go it! :lol:

They just sneaked out while the wives were cooking. Christmas dinner takes ages to prepare... :D

:lol:

I honestly think this is what most guys would have done!

Can fans mind when we played Hibs at Easter Road on Xmas day in 19-71, and won 1-0 when Colin Stein scored in front of a 30.000 crowd.

Also in 19-65 we payed Dunfermline at Ibrox and lost 3-2 with goals from Forrest, Mclean and a crowd of 35,000.

They are the only 2 games i have been to on Xmas day, although there has been more. Cant see it ever being allowed to play again on Xmas day.

Found a record of a game on Christmas Day 1947 at Dundee, 3-1 win for Rangers, Duncanson hat-trick. Wisnae there mind you ! If Sky tv say so it will happen ! We'd probably get the worst ko time !:):sherlock:

I remember a Sunday game years ago, that was most unusual, it was against Dundee in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox we lost 3-0 I think, there was a much bigger crowd than there was on a saturday, I remember going to it after church in my sunday best. Anyone else remember this?

I remember a Sunday game years ago, that was most unusual, it was against Dundee in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox we lost 3-0 I think, there was a much bigger crowd than there was on a saturday, I remember going to it after church in my sunday best. Anyone else remember this?

was my first ever game

was also first match played on a sunday my dad took me cause he thought it would be quiet and was almost a sell out

think it was 1974 or thereabouts

was my first ever game

was also first match played on a sunday my dad took me cause he thought it would be quiet and was almost a sell out

think it was 1974 or thereabouts

The crowd that day was 64,672 not bad for a Sunday. (tu)

Nope...cant say I remember seeing you in your Sunday best at all!

Nope...cant say I remember seeing you in your Sunday best at all!

You must have, right down the front of the Derry in the middle :D