The Billy Boys

j1mgg

I think what many people are concerned about is the possible punishment from the SPL or SFA. Fair enough, as the media would have you believe that sanctions are right around the corner.

But the truth is that the SPL or SFA wouldn't dare penalise Rangers or the supporters over this, for the exact reasons that Willhelm has just highlighted. It would open up a HUGE can of worms. Suddenly every team across the league would have their songs scrutinised by Rangers fans looking for a level playing field, rival fans claiming to be offended in order to help their team or the PC brigade demanding that no songs be sung at all.

Neither of the governing bodies want anything to do with sanctions, rest assured. In Scotland at least, The Billy Boys is untouchable. (tu)

For me, thats the biggest problem mate. Why should they be worrying? If it was going to happen, then, the most likely time would have been when we were still in Europe. People these days over-worry. Buld themselves up into a proper state over something the might happen. Must be like living as a fieldmouse for them, the speed their hearts must be beating! Panic attack 24/7.

The other thing to realise is, at the time all the "problems" with it happened, we hadnt won a title in a couple of years, they were on top, so, its easy to make US look like bitter, badly behaved etc in that situation, however, now we are on top, and, everyone has seen the beginning of "them" getting it in the press (not enough yet mind, but, its growing). They are now behind, so, them complaining, will come over as sour grapes.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and as far as vanguard goes, i always read there articles but i feel the way they just disregard the fans that dont sing it are damaging the club as awfull. what is the point in this, are they looking to be the forerunners in this mascerade, leading the way, it aint just about vanguard its about the club as a whole and comments like that are more likely to split support more than the opposite

FYI This is the FULL vb article(hope admin don't mind), this is not about VB being forerunners of anythingglory hunting is not our thing. The belief is that every so often the sectarianism debate raises it's head and yet again it's Rangers fans under the spotlight. Sadly we felt the RSA had no reason to make the statement in the first place, it was an ill advised move by the RSA. Now that they have VB are responding on behalf of like minded bears because until we get everything out in the open once and for all our club will continue to be attacked.

Rangers fans have nothing to hide or fear from afull and frank debate on sectarianism.

We at Vanguardbears urge all Rangers fans to keep singing the club anthem "The Billy Boys", once again Rangers fans have been let down by those who supposedly have our best interests at heart. The Rangers Supporters Assembly’s statement actually brings the song into the spotlight with some sort of admission of guilt rather than ask the questions that Rangers fan’s want answered. It is our belief that TBB was never actually banned by UEFA, until we’ve seen proof to the contrary our opinion will not be swayed on this matter.

Even if it’s proved to be the case then we see no reason why Rangers fans should refrain from singing any version of the TBB whilst fans all over Britain continue without comment or condemnation. We see this as an opportunity to force the issue, either provide evidence as to why TBB is banned and explain why our version has been singled out for special attention or Rangers fans should be allowed to continue without comment.

In recent clampdowns on offensive/sectarian singing Rangers fans have been asked to stop singing any add-on’s to certain songs or sing the proper words. Why was no such request made of anything that was deemed to be offensive in TBB? Would it have anything to do with having to provide a proper and clear explanation as to what UEFA actually found offensive, if anything?

WHO COMPLAINED TO UEFA AND WHO PROVIDED THE INFORMATION THAT ALLOWED UEFA TO COME TO THEIR JUDGEMENT?

Why has no other song/chant been deemed offensive or “banned”?

Why have songs about Rangers players being shot been ignored?

Why have songs in support of murdering terrorists not been banned?

Why have songs about 66 Rangers fans dying been ignored?

Why have the chants aimed at Rangers fans on a weekly basis not been picked up on?

Why the hell did Rangers F.C sit meekly by and let the campaign against Rangers fans and TBB get this far?

To be honest the points I raised don’t even begin to scratch the surface of the debate but it’s a starting point. The RSA have brought this issue to the fore with their statement, so let’s have the truth once and for all? I hope at the upcoming games Rangers fans sing it loud and sing it proud, we’ve nothing to be ashamed of fellow bears.

Either everyone is treated the same as Rangers fans or they can shut the hell up!

That goes for those who represent us also….

Blue_Tumai

By the looks of it, it was released because of the allegiances hibs and celtic have towards eire and catholicism and with both games being on tv and will generate alot of publictiy.

The points that seem to be cropping up is we need to see evidence of it being banned by anyone and if certains word are deemed unacceptable then removing them should be suffice. On the other hand we could just belt it out at the next 3 games and once and for all see what the reprecussions would be if anything.

Your claim that "UEFA specifically said they would not and could not ban TBB" is an interesting one. Can you back it up?

Yes I can, and I have done on some of the many other TBB threads on here. You can have a look if you can be arsed, I don't have time for this. I've just popped on for a quick look (tu)