Walter confirms a Boyd start

Boab

By Graeme Bryce, 03/01/2010

WALTER SMITH has challenged Kris Boyd to celebrate his coronation as the SPL's newly-crowned goal king by scoring in Henrik Larsson's old backyard!

After five straight snubs, the Gers boss intends to give his scoring phenomenon the acid test - by handing him a rare start at Celtic Park.

Boyd blasted his way into SPL folklore with a stunning five-goal salvo to slay Dundee United in midweek and overhaul Hoops legend Larsson as the SPL's top scorer ever.

Yet amazingly, in the three years since he returned to Ibrox, Smith has NEVER trusted his 160-goal striker to start a single match at Celtic Park.

Even more startling, is the fact Smith hasn't even sent Boyd on as a sub in those games. It's not just Smith who has doubted his striker's ability to make an impact at Parkhead.

His old Kilmarnock boss Jim Jefferies also preferred to take on Celtic in Paradise without Boyd.

Yet Boyd has found the net at Celtic Park. On the one occasion Smith fielded him from the start there, the striker hit a double for Scotland against the Faroes!

Now Smith admits Boydy has earned the right to turn Larsson's Parkhead Paradise into his own personal field of dreams.

The Ibrox boss said: "You have to look at Kris' overall play at the present moment, which has been excellent.

"In the past there has been a reliance solely on goals, but more recently he's been playing very well for the team as well.

"That in itself means that he deserves a start at Parkhead... and he'll get one!"

Smith believes Boyd has finally learned the hard way what it takes to become an automatic choice, after he dropped him for crucial games such as the UEFA Cup Final, Old Firm showdowns and Champions League ties. He revealed: "It's something Kris has taken on board himself - there were no specific talks with me at the start of the season.

"I don't think it's down to him not being involved with the Scotland squad either. Nor the fact his contract's up in the summer. I just think he is gaining in experience and realised he had to do more than he had been offering - there isn't any doubt he has been doing that for a while now.

"We don't want him to lose his biggest asset, scoring goals, but he's never going to lose that quality because he's always had an eye for goal.

"However, he's taking a great deal of satisfaction in creating goals for others too and showing people that he can play.

"Throughout the early part of his career, goals were what Kris considered to be the be all and end all - all he was there to do.

"At times that would be Kris's measure of a good game. If the team created a number of chances and he put them away he had done his bit.

"But playing, and sometimes not playing, in Champions League games or other big matches has made him realise that there has to be a wee bit more to it than that. For the majority of this season he has been working harder on the team aspect.

"In my opinion it's making him a far better player. Even in defensive aspects of the game, trying to close down opponents, there has been a big improvement in Kris's game."

Smith believes Kenny Miller's solid work ethic has rubbed off on his big strike partner. That's why he is so frustrated at Miller's controversial suspension for today's game.

The Rangers boss said: "The partnership with Kenny has improved because Kris has realised he can get more involved in the build-ups.

"Kenny has always been an unselfish runner for the team, but it is great when you see both of them starting to link up. That improvement in Kris's overall play has created a number of goals for his partner.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...k-cauldron.html

Some amount of prausing from Walter there, time for Boyd to really step up to the plate.

I've never known a player past or present in the form Boydy's on at the moment. Given half a chance tomorrow he'll bury them.

Kris Boyd - King of Kings :praise::uk:

You never knew Super Ally , Mols or even the Tin Man ? :huh:

Ive been playing the scenario of Boyd scoring in my head many times, the scenario many times and him actually scoring many many times... but I just really dont know if he will do it... he cant let the team down just as much as the team cant afford to let Boyd down... I have every confidence he will take his chance

I've never known a player past or present in the form Boydy's on at the moment. Given half a chance tomorrow he'll bury them.

doh

What's wrong with you? What's your problem? Of course I knew them, maybe I'm just so excited about Boyd at the moment that I'm getting carried away - what's so bad about that? Killjoy :anguish:

doh

What's wrong with you? What's your problem? Of course I knew them, maybe I'm just so excited about Boyd at the moment that I'm getting carried away - what's so bad about that? Killjoy :anguish:

Nowt wrong with me bud! :sherlock:

doh

going by some of the posts and topics i'd say most are getting carried away and excited by Boydy

as the wee tune from scarface says......hes on fire

i cannot wait

:21:

needs to score as they are a bogey team for him

but have my doubts he will partly because of this and that miller is out so he will get fewer chances

creating is not his strongest point although he is improving him and miller just play well together

we will need width if he is to continue his scoring

Boyd doesn't need to score to prove his worth to the team.

The last couple of games he's played against them he's played well without scoring.

As people continually say with Boyd "It's not just about scoring" yet he played well in the last old firm game but didn't score and got berated for it!

As long as the team wins it doesn't matter who scores.

Does he have a choice with Boyd in his current form?

Big decision is who replaces Boogie - Wilson or?

The only other option I can think of is to play Broadfoot at CB alongside Weir and play Whittaker at RB.

Personally, I would rather Wilson got a chance tomorrow.