Messi

WeeBlue

He is the best in the world at the moment.

But no, he is not the best ever.

Let's not forget, Maradona won tiny Napoli two championships and a European Cup AND the World Cup for Argentina.

He was surrounded by decent players but nothing compared to the players that Messi has around him.

I agree, but I don't think Maradona won the European Cup, are you sure it wasn't the UEFA Cup or whatever they called it back then?

Let's not forget, Maradona won tiny Napoli two championships and a European Cup AND the World Cup for Argentina.

He was surrounded by decent players but nothing compared to the players that Messi has around him.

Messi scores great individual goals (like the one on Sunday) therefore who is on his team is irrelevant.

I agree, but I don't think Maradona won the European Cup, are you sure it wasn't the UEFA Cup or whatever they called it back then?

Is that not A European Cup then ? :sherlock:

WeeBlue: So did Maradona, but the help Messi gets from his team can't be overlooked.

WeeBlue: So did Maradona, but the help Messi gets from his team can't be overlooked.

Yes it's A European Cup, not THE European cup :sherlock:

It is plain to see that Messi is a great player who scores lots of goals in a quality team BUT he scores great individual goals also... you can't put it down to the team he plays for when he takes the ball from the halfway line and runs it into the net.

:sherlock:

Won't be on the same level as Maradona until he wins the World Cup

Don't agree...

George Best was ten times the player of many who've won the World Cup.. Its a team sport. :wink:

Whilst I don't agree either... Maradona single-handedly won an average Argentina side the World Cup, so Messi should surely be able to too.

Nobodys saying George Best wasn't a good player but Maradona and Pele are the best two players ever. Reason why that is is because they won their teams the World Cup with Maradona doing it with an average Argentina side.

Won't be on the same level as Maradona until he wins the World Cup

Don't agree...

George Best was ten times the player of many who've won the World Cup.. Its a team sport. :wink:

Whilst I don't agree either... Maradona single-handedly won an average Argentina side the World Cup, so Messi should surely be able to too.

Nobodys saying George Best wasn't a good player but Maradona and Pele are the best two players ever. Reason why that is is because they won their teams the World Cup with Maradona doing it with an average Argentina side.

So you're saying if someone's born in a small country like N.Ireland or San Marino they can't become the best in the world because they havn't won the world cup? :sherlock:

Call him what you like, comapre him with whoever you like. I wasn't here for Pele, Maradona, George Best, Davie Cooper and the like. Never seen any of their careers. I'm just grateful i'm here to see Messi's career from start to finish and in fifty years time when great grandkids are goin on about Messi being the greatest of all time. I can tell them i seen him play.