Walt defends Lafferty

Boab

By ANDY DEVLIN

Published: Today

Walter Smith has told Scottish football to get off Kyle Lafferty's back.

The Rangers boss insists the Ulsterman has become an easy target for players and pundits.

The 22-year-old was caught up in more red card controversy at Tannadice in midweek when his clash with Mihael Kovacevic saw the Dundee United star dismissed.

The flashpoint comes just two months after his Old Firm spat with Scott Brown in which the Celtic captain was sent off.

It comes a year after his shameful play-acting against Aberdeen.

This time Smith insists Lafferty was the victim and he said: "I cannot understand it.

"He seems to attract a reaction unlike other players, maybe from players and fans.

"I don't know what he does to get that. He's a forward player and not a tackler in any way. His behaviour after the incident against Aberdeen - I can understand that. But as for the other aspects...

"The other night, he did foul Kovacevic, but I'm not sure it deserved the reaction it got from the crowd.

"I think the Dundee United player over-reacted to it and I don't think you can say Lafferty was involved.

"Players commit fouls. Other players do it and don't get the same reaction as Lafferty.

"Yes he has a bit of settling down to do, but I don't see why he would receive any criticism. The lad kicked him.

"Would you not go down if someone kicked you? I don't think there is any doubt their lad made contact with him."

Smith believes that Lafferty is still paying a heavy price for the dive he took against Dons last season.

Charlie Mulgrew was red carded after Lafferty - who had not been touched - threw himself to the floor, clutching his face.

Now Smith fears the Northern Ireland star has earned himself a reputation he could struggle to shake.

He sighed: "It's a strange one. If he commits a foul, the reactions from crowds are different to when other players commit fouls. You sometimes see that if someone has a reputation for committing fouls.

"We used to get it with Terry Hurlock. Every time Terry fouled it was like a crime against humanity!

"You can't put the likes of Lafferty in that kind of scenario.

"He did what he did against Aberdeen it was wrong, but it should not follow him around in the manner it has done since.

"It was down to him to change."

Smith mounted a strong defence of his £3.25million hitman last night and despite seeing him score just three goals all season, Smith believes Lafferty will come good.

The Gers boss stressed: "His proper position is centre- forward and he has not had enough games there. I feel he is needing a period of time to settle down in the position to try and learn all aspects of being centre-forward."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2936353/Walter-Lay-off-Lafferty.html#ixzz0lJ9JVRR9

Nice of wee Walter to come out in his defence. He may well come good though he's taking his time.

Oh aye, on Tuesday, Kyle and I stood beside each other in the Veg section at the M&S in Milngavie on Tuesday after he came into the aisle I was in while I was pondering - somebody text me afterwards 'Ye should have punched him'...that would have been like Haye and Valuev I said! Neil Alexander was also there with him and I seen them a few times while I was there. I was in awe of both tbh, I bought 'Super Vegetables' and filled Pasta in that aisle where Kyle stood beside me - I'm sure you're all bursting to know! :P

Didn't speak to either though.

The 22-year-old was caught up in more red card controversy at Tannadice in midweek when his clash with Mihael Kovacevic saw the Dundee United star dismissed.

What is the controversy about someone getting sent off when he's blatantly kicked another player? <cr>

Actually this is one of the things I like about Walter as manager,always defends the players and team. If he critisises them it is as a team, I cant remember the last time he ever singled a player out for negative comments?

Contrast that to the way Mopery and McGee act about not trusting their players and saying so publically, I know what actions I think will keep a team respecting the manager and which action causes issues.

He added: "Kyle played all his football as a youngster in a wide-left position and you can see he can still do that.

"But his proper position is centre forward and he has not had enough games there.

The question I keep asking is why Walter or anyone would suggest his proper position is centre forward when he has played his entire club football career wide left and shows absolutely none of the attributes that a is needed as a striker?

Seems more like stubborness to refuse to admit he is a signing mistake like the other strikers Naismith and Velicka.

What is the controversy about someone getting sent off when he's blatantly kicked another player? <cr>

First thing that caught my eye as well. Has to be a red card for both if Lafferty's involved, it seems.

If only the fans would get behind lafferty like walter does. I think there is a player somewhere, and so does walter im sure. In walter we trust.

I agree 100%. Apart from believing he has the ability, I think our fans should get behind him for no other reason than the fact that he is a Gers player. That should be enough.

Anyone that can't see a player in Lafferty is mental.

He just happens to be the scapegoat de jour for a section of the Rangers fans and most of the media (the latter seemingly for having a go at the mhuppet Nicholas).

Simple fact is, he is a right good player whose deficiencies get hyped to mythical level. Of course he makes the odd wrong pass or fails to see a movement, but the stick he gets compared to Naismith for example is insane.

If you actually follow him all game and watch his workrate and contribution, you would see how effective he actually is.

Anyone that can't see a player in Lafferty is mental.

He just happens to be the scapegoat de jour for a section of the Rangers fans and most of the media (the latter seemingly for having a go at the mhuppet Nicholas).

Simple fact is, he is a right good player whose deficiencies get hyped to mythical level. Of course he makes the odd wrong pass or fails to see a movement, but the stick he gets compared to Naismith for example is insane.

If you actually follow him all game and watch his workrate and contribution, you would see how effective he actually is.

That's glossing over things a bit...

In my opinion this whole article is ridicilous and is quickly twisted to portray Lafferty as the bad guy yet again.

If you read it again you see that the author quickly turns the readers attention back on to Lafferty by listing his past controversies, using words which stir negative emotions in the reader in the following statements: "The Rangers boss insists the Ulsterman", "The 22-year-old was caught up in more red card controversy at Tannadice", "It comes a year after his shameful play-acting against Aberdeen" & "yes he has a bit of settling down to do"

And on the back of that he then tries to pigeon hole Kovacevics red card into the same bracket by placing a strong emphasis on Smith's quote about Lafferty fouling Kovacevic first.

I also think the use of Terry Hurlock as an example was a poor one for Smith to use as the journo has used it to spin the scale of the foul by Lafferty in the build up.

When you think of Hurlock you associate him with hard, mainly over zealous, sometimes even dangerous tackles. By using that example, people who didn't see the game are likely to think that Lafferty threw himself knee high into two footed tackle and thats why Kovaceevic reacted, when in truth it was a nothing tussle that was more a tangle of bodies as both men challenged for the ball and Kovacevic lost the rag.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but IMO it's clever writing in the sense that it will influence people and tbh it's something that I'd expect an intelligent journalist like Spiers to try and pull off, but a tabloid journalist trying to do it..................

Lafferty needs to stop drawing attention to himself with all this diving nonsense and try to concentrate on giving better performances he looks like he tries to hard and then he gets frustrated thats when the stupidity shows. There's a lot of potential there but for some reason he's not showing it. Walter has done the right thing defending him Lafferty is a Rangers player and like the rest of our players we should support them when there going through a bad spell. :21:

He added: "Kyle played all his football as a youngster in a wide-left position and you can see he can still do that.

"But his proper position is centre forward and he has not had enough games there.

The question I keep asking is why Walter or anyone would suggest his proper position is centre forward when he has played his entire club football career wide left and shows absolutely none of the attributes that a is needed as a striker?

Seems more like stubborness to refuse to admit he is a signing mistake like the other strikers Naismith and Velicka.

You beat me to it.

Kyle Lafferty is not a striker, he does not have the right attributes; brain, aerial threat, touch, vision, distribution, instinct, reactions, ability... he's not a poacher, or a provider.

He's not a left or right sided midfielder either, even although he's spent the majority of his career out on the left.

The sooner we cut our losses with Lafferty, the better.