Rangers Captain.?

sonOwilliam

Who would you like to see as the next Rangers Captain ?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see as the next Rangers Captain ?

• Allan McGregor
    • Maurice Edu
    • Steven Davis
    • Madjid Bougherra
    • Kenny Miller
    • Kevin Thomson
    • Kris Boyd
    • Lee McCulloch
    • Sasa Papac
    • NONE OF ABOVE.

There is more to being a captain than just battling hard, and tackling.

Going missing for long spells, having the odd good game here and there, getting caught out of position, not the best option in that position, and being as much use as a shadow is not what you want from your captain!

I know its not just all about battling and tackling hard, but going from even todays game do you not think his reading and passing was also good.

But i do agree he is injury prone if he would just get himself fitter and stop missing as many games he would be a excellent Rangers captain next season he will be playing more i would say.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcculloch or mcgregor for me. Don't see why some people think Davis, good wee player but never captain material, no to thomson also, too injury prone and tbh is a bit of a loony at times.

Looney at times :lol:

In my eyes a good captain battles and tackles hard and theres no dought that Thomson does that.

Thomson tackles and battles of course. But he often make's stupid decisions that gets himself sent of or puts us in bad positions, and is also injury prone, that isn't captain material IMO.

Thomson has been sent off three times in his Rangers career. He certainly doesn't pick up as many stupid bookings as McCulloch, who's suspension time must add up to more than Thomson's. McCulloch also gives away fouls in dangerous positions, and he's been lucky to stay on the park on a few occassions.

McCulloch gets applauded for bursting players, kneeing them in the back... Thomson get's slated for miss timing tackles.

Going missing for long spells, having the odd good game here and there, getting caught out of position, not the best option in that position, and being as much use as a shadow is not what you want from your captain!

I know its not just all about battling and tackling hard, but going from even todays game do you not think his reading and passing was also good.

But i do agree he is injury prone if he would just get himself fitter and stop missing as many games he would be a excellent Rangers captain next season he will be playing more i would say.

I thought Thomson had a good game yesterday, although his passing and final ball was piss poor at times. Midfield struggled at times due to the set-up and personnel.

Mcculloch or mcgregor for me. Don't see why some people think Davis, good wee player but never captain material, no to thomson also, too injury prone and tbh is a bit of a loony at times.

In my eyes a good captain battles and tackles hard and theres no dought that Thomson does that.

Thomson tackles and battles of course. But he often make's stupid decisions that gets himself sent of or puts us in bad positions, and is also injury prone, that isn't captain material IMO.

Thomson has been sent off three times in his Rangers career. He certainly doesn't pick up as many stupid bookings as McCulloch, who's suspension time must add up to more than Thomson's. McCulloch also gives away fouls in dangerous positions, and he's been lucky to stay on the park on a few occassions.

McCulloch gets applauded for bursting players, kneeing them in the back... Thomson get's slated for miss timing tackles.

Agree'd, I says mcculloch for captain because I can't see it being anybody else, If it was up to me I'd pick Mcgregor

I also don't know who we could bring in that could take over from David Weir - depends on if there is any money available, and who we target!?

I think David Weir will stay for another season anyway.

I thought Thomson had a good game yesterday, although his passing and final ball was piss poor at times. Midfield struggled at times due to the set-up and personnel.

No width, if we had 2 good wingers Thomson, Davis, Edu that midfield would be unstopable.

I can recall a couple of bad balls to Miller or Boyd but every player has 1 or 2 a game.

He miss-placed so many passes today, and his final ball when Lafferty, Miller and Boyd were open, and in loads of space were awful.

His ball over the top to Miller in the 2nd half was woeful, a 5 year old could have made it!

I also don't know who we could bring in that could take over from David Weir - depends on if there is any money available, and who we target!?

I think David Weir will stay for another season anyway.

Thats true Davie is the man for the job now no dought, but he is starting to slow down alot and we should be looking to see who can be captain just incase.

He miss-placed so many passes today, and his final ball when Lafferty, Miller and Boyd were open, and in loads of space were awful.

His ball over the top to Miller in the 2nd half was woeful, a 5 year old could have made it!

:lol:

He's a hard tackler and that's how it should remain.

We'd lose half the player if we told him to stop tackling. I think the captaincy of Rangers would mature him even further and make him channel his 'aggression' in the right way consistently.

Kevin Thomson is as far away from being a Rangers Captain as it is just about possible to be.

A Hibs fan who is only here because we pay more money than Hibs. He still lives in Edinburgh, still goes about with his fellow-Hibs fans mates, and generally cares not a jot about our club.

Yes, he will give his all to try to win games, i'm not calling into question his professionalism at all, just that to be the Captain of The Rangers is so much more than what you do on the pitch, and Thomson gets nowhere near the required mark.

If Weir does indeed leave at the end of the season, it will be a big decision to see who replaces him, and we probably need to wait and see who is going to be here next season first before making that decision.

Kevin Thomson is as far away from being a Rangers Captain as it is just about possible to be.

A Hibs fan who is only here because we pay more money than Hibs. He still lives in Edinburgh, still goes about with his fellow-Hibs fans mates, and generally cares not a jot about our club.

Yes, he will give his all to try to win games, i'm not calling into question his professionalism at all, just that to be the Captain of The Rangers is so much more than what you do on the pitch, and Thomson gets nowhere near the required mark.

If Weir does indeed leave at the end of the season, it will be a big decision to see who replaces him, and we probably need to wait and see who is going to be here next season first before making that decision.

John Greig anyone? I've seen him spit out invective at RSC functions for sing songs and make it perfectly clear he doesn't want to be there.

Being a fan of Rangers isn't a prerequesite to be appointed our Captain.We have had a few good Captains of Rangers who weren't

actually Rangers fans so I agree with your last staement of wait and see what happens next season.

I personally would see Bougherra as 1st choice if Davie retires but if he goes then I would bet my house on Sir Wattie chucking the armband to McCulloch even if Bougherra stayed.

I dont mean the Rangers Captain has to be a Rangers supporter, or even needs to have been at the club for years. Terry Butcher was made captain on joining the club, was not a Rangers supporter, and done the job tremendously.

But it takes a certain character to do this, and the point of my post was that IMO KT is not in that category. He also seems like quite a quiet lad amongst the squad who probably would not want to be captain with the attention that brings anyway.

McCulloch would probably be a good choice as a person apart from the fact he is crap and I dont want him anywhere near our team for next season. One season of utter dross chasing shadows slowly around the centre circle has been bad enough to watch. He has been directly outplayed by every opposition centre midfield player he has faced this season.

doh

I can't believe anybody thinks Allan McGregor should be considered. It's embarrassing enough reading about 'Rangers goalie' on the front pages, but 'Rangers Captain?

But there aren't any obvious choices. I think Lee would get it. As a player KT fits the bill best, but his Hibs affiliation doesn't sit comfortably.

doh

I can't believe anybody thinks Allan McGregor should be considered. It's embarrassing enough reading about 'Rangers goalie' on the front pages, but 'Rangers Captain?

But there aren't any obvious choices. I think Lee would get it. As a player KT fits the bill best, but his Hibs affiliation doesn't sit comfortably.

agree with sentence in bold 100%,although i dont want him to leave i think the captaincy wud be a bad idea for greegsy, smith wud not give him it anyway, im very confident of that

Thomson ... I do not care about his Hibs affiliations, as he currently pulls on the blue of my club & gives his all in every game he plays.

Our captain should lead by example, someone who commits to every tackles, chases evey ball and has the respect of the players around him.

Thomson is the only one who fits that bill, with the possible excpetion of Davis.

Someone who is capable of being able to motivate the team throughout the course of a season even when the chips are down, and it's not going our way. Contribute to the team spirit and hold a togetherness - when the going get's tough he need's to be able to stand above the crowd, and lift the players, and get them going, on the park especially. A player who is well respected, and who people will look up to, and come to when they need advice, a role model.

Someone who can speak for the squad as a whole, and not get too carried away. The ability to play with the media, and not come out with any old pish.

Ability on the park, good communicator, vision, knowledge of the game, be able to read it, change it, organise, a consistant performer week in, week out, tactical awareness, stand up and lead by example... someone who the team would miss should they be unavailable for selection... not a player who hides, and vanishes for long spells of games. An influencial person, and player.

Allen McGregor Let`s get serious this man has too much baggage

Steven Davis Would gives his all and would be burned out by Christmas

Madjid Bougherra Lead by example unfortunately the whole team would never be in their own half

Kenny Miller Should not be burden with the Captaincy and shows little leadership qualities

Kevin Thomson Still a petulant little boy and must start play for the team instead of running around handing out his own retribution

Lee McCulloch In the Shearer, Brown, mould. Not naturally gifted, but would run through a brick wall in a Blue Jersey

Sas Papac Yet to display any signs of leadership