Celtic in bounce game today at Murray Park

Boab

A Morten Rasmussen strike on 48 minutes gave Celtic a 1-0 victory in today's Reserve bounce match at Murray Park.

But despite the final scoreline Gers coach Tommy Wilson believes the Old Firm friendly was hugely beneficial for both clubs.

With Celtic's game against AZ Alkmaar postponed tonight the visitor's were able to field a strong starting eleven in front of watching boss Neil Lennon.

Walter Smith also took in the game with his coaching staff and the players responded with a committed display against their Glasgow rivals.

Danny Wilson cruised through the first-half before being replaced at the break while his partner in defence Ross Perry had an excellent game considering his lack of action in recent weeks.

At left-back Steven Smith also showed his qualities with a rock solid performance and with Sasa Papac missing forthcoming SPL fixtures against Dundee United and Celtic he was clearly out to impress.

In the first-half there was little to separate the teams although Celtic had the better chances to break the deadlock in a competitive opening 45 minutes.

Alexander had to be sharp to make two excellent stops from Ki Sung Yeung and Zheng Zi and Rangers also had the referee to thank after he waved away pleas for a penalty kick.

Paddy McCourt swung in a deep corner and when Rasmussen glanced a header towards goal Thomas Kind-Bendiksen appeared to raise his hand to stop the ball as it was about to cross the line.

In the second-half the Norwegian midfielder had a great chance to open the scoring for the Light Blues before Rasmussen hit the net.

The Dane was quickest to react when the ball was played in to the 18-yard box and, despite being in an offside position, he beat Neil Alexander with a low shot from close range.

Both teams made several changes in the second period and substitute Kal Naismith came close to levelling the score but his powerful header from a Beasley corner was cleared off the line by Edson Braafheid.

Despite the result Wilson was delighted with his team's efforts and was pleased that players such as Perry, Bendiksen and Stephen Stirling were able to get much needed match action under their belts.

He said: "I was looking back at my diary earlier today and it is six weeks since our Reserves have had a game because of first-team games, injuries and players being away on loan etc.

"So it was nice to see some of our players that have not featured recently getting a game and I thought there were a lot of positives to take from this afternoon's match.

"Ross Perry, who has not played for a number of weeks, performed really well against one of Celtic's new signings Morten Rasmussen.

"Danny was impressive while John Fleck and Stephen Stirling in the centre of midfield were strong and composed.

"Steven Smith was excellent yet again and his attitude to every game is fantastic.

"So overall I was happy with the performances, especially when you take in to account that we didn't field any of our under-19 players who have league games coming up and the SFA Youth Cup final as well next week.

"Because of that we didn't want to risk them but the lads we did pick did very well.

"We knew that Celtic would put out a strong team and I think most of the players they started with would have featured against Alkmaar if that game had gone ahead."

Tommy hopes that more Old Firm friendlies can be arranged in the future, especially as today's game was organised in the space of 24 hours.

He added: "I spoke to the manager on Monday and he asked if we could get a game set-up for today.

"I tried a number of teams at that stage because I wasn't sure who would be available at short notice.

"I then was told that Celtic's game against Alkmaar had been postponed and straight away we got in touch with them.

"The one main advantage of there not being a Reserve league is that we now have the ability to arrange games when the manager feels is right and when we have the right number of players available, which was not always the case when we were playing in the league format.

"So playing Celtic today gave us the chance to play against a strong team and like any Old Firm game it was always going to be very competitive.

"That was certainly the case and both sets of players will have benefited from that."

RANGERS: Alexander; Broadfoot, Perry, Wilson (K. Naismith), Smith; Beasley, Fleck, Stirling, Kind-Bendiksen; Novo (Kisuka), Little

CELTIC: Cervi; Caddis, Loovens (Tolmie), Rogne (Young), Braafheid; Ki Sung Yeung, Zheng Zi, Millar, McCourt (Toshney), McGowan, Rasmussen

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100421/a-worthwhile-exercise_2254024_2031245

We shouldn't be losing.

Agree Boab, good to see the younger ones playing but. Perry & Bendiksen have had alot of Praise this year from Tommy Wilson and Billy Kirkwood. Hopefully we get to see them next year,

Kisuka mentioned him a couple of weeks ago.

Who is Bendiksen?

a young centre mid who we brought here from Denmark i think it was. Cost us around £1M Im sure it said in one of the RangersNews.

Who is Bendiksen?

a young centre mid who we brought here from Denmark i think it was. Cost us around £1M Im sure it said in one of the RangersNews.

He's Norwegian, we bought him from Harstad (sp?) or something like that

Who is Bendiksen?

I think he COULD cost us a £1m but im sure its all sell on fee and acertain number of appearances etc , i could be wrong though :unsure:

A Morten Rasmussen strike on 48 minutes gave Celtic a 1-0 victory in today's Reserve bounce match at Murray Park.

But despite the final scoreline Gers coach Tommy Wilson believes the Old Firm friendly was hugely beneficial for both clubs.

With Celtic's game against AZ Alkmaar postponed tonight the visitor's were able to field a strong starting eleven in front of watching boss Neil Lennon.

Walter Smith also took in the game with his coaching staff and the players responded with a committed display against their Glasgow rivals.

Danny Wilson cruised through the first-half before being replaced at the break while his partner in defence Ross Perry had an excellent game considering his lack of action in recent weeks.

At left-back Steven Smith also showed his qualities with a rock solid performance and with Sasa Papac missing forthcoming SPL fixtures against Dundee United and Celtic he was clearly out to impress.

In the first-half there was little to separate the teams although Celtic had the better chances to break the deadlock in a competitive opening 45 minutes.

Alexander had to be sharp to make two excellent stops from Ki Sung Yeung and Zheng Zi and Rangers also had the referee to thank after he waved away pleas for a penalty kick.

Paddy McCourt swung in a deep corner and when Rasmussen glanced a header towards goal Thomas Kind-Bendiksen appeared to raise his hand to stop the ball as it was about to cross the line.

In the second-half the Norwegian midfielder had a great chance to open the scoring for the Light Blues before Rasmussen hit the net.

The Dane was quickest to react when the ball was played in to the 18-yard box and, despite being in an offside position, he beat Neil Alexander with a low shot from close range.

Both teams made several changes in the second period and substitute Kal Naismith came close to levelling the score but his powerful header from a Beasley corner was cleared off the line by Edson Braafheid.

Despite the result Wilson was delighted with his team's efforts and was pleased that players such as Perry, Bendiksen and Stephen Stirling were able to get much needed match action under their belts.

He said: "I was looking back at my diary earlier today and it is six weeks since our Reserves have had a game because of first-team games, injuries and players being away on loan etc.

"So it was nice to see some of our players that have not featured recently getting a game and I thought there were a lot of positives to take from this afternoon's match.

"Ross Perry, who has not played for a number of weeks, performed really well against one of Celtic's new signings Morten Rasmussen.

"Danny was impressive while John Fleck and Stephen Stirling in the centre of midfield were strong and composed.

"Steven Smith was excellent yet again and his attitude to every game is fantastic.

"So overall I was happy with the performances, especially when you take in to account that we didn't field any of our under-19 players who have league games coming up and the SFA Youth Cup final as well next week.

"Because of that we didn't want to risk them but the lads we did pick did very well.

"We knew that Celtic would put out a strong team and I think most of the players they started with would have featured against Alkmaar if that game had gone ahead."

Tommy hopes that more Old Firm friendlies can be arranged in the future, especially as today's game was organised in the space of 24 hours.

He added: "I spoke to the manager on Monday and he asked if we could get a game set-up for today.

"I tried a number of teams at that stage because I wasn't sure who would be available at short notice.

"I then was told that Celtic's game against Alkmaar had been postponed and straight away we got in touch with them.

"The one main advantage of there not being a Reserve league is that we now have the ability to arrange games when the manager feels is right and when we have the right number of players available, which was not always the case when we were playing in the league format.

"So playing Celtic today gave us the chance to play against a strong team and like any Old Firm game it was always going to be very competitive.

"That was certainly the case and both sets of players will have benefited from that."

RANGERS: Alexander; Broadfoot, Perry, Wilson (K. Naismith), Smith; Beasley, Fleck, Stirling, Kind-Bendiksen; Novo (Kisuka), Little

CELTIC: Cervi; Caddis, Loovens (Tolmie), Rogne (Young), Braafheid; Ki Sung Yeung, Zheng Zi, Millar, McCourt (Toshney), McGowan, Rasmussen

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100421/a-worthwhile-exercise_2254024_2031245

We shouldn't be losing.

We shouldn't be losing? they are a team full of first/fringe players where we actually played academy players who seem to have impressed in the match according to the match report despite losing.

They can win all the reserve matches they want, they are still awful.

Who is Bendiksen?

He's Norwegian, we bought him from Harstad (sp?) or something like that

Rangers have confirmed the signing of highly-rated Norwegian youngster Thomas Kind Bendiksen.

The 18-year old midfielder has signed a three-year deal. Rangers have paid around £1m to land him from Harstad IL.

“This is like a dream come true,” said Bendiksen. “I had two good offers from Tromso and Rangers, but the lure of a foreign club was too tempting.

thats what was put up on that RFC Youth website.

I like to hear that about smith, can't understand why they wont give him a new contract tbh

I like to hear that about smith, can't understand why they wont give him a new contract tbh

He wants to go.

Who is Bendiksen?

Look at his girlfriend. :drool:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572356982&ref=mf#!/profile.php?id=603235319

GIP :drool: :drool:

Who is Bendiksen?

http://www.facebook....hp?id=603235319

Fucking yes. :drool:

Who is Bendiksen?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572356982&ref=mf#!/profile.php?id=603235319

GIP :drool: :drool:

Very much so! :drool:

Who is Bendiksen?

http://www.facebook....hp?id=603235319

Fucking yes. :drool:

What was the Churchie???

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh Yeeessssssssssssssssssss :drool: