Mr Advocaat on Simply the Best

Boab

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McLeish also got us further in Europe than Advocaat ever did, on a fraction of the budget as well.

And won 5 trophies with 'Advocaats team' even though Dick couldn't get close to Celtic in his last 18 months.

McLeish also got us further in Europe than Advocaat ever did, on a fraction of the budget as well.

I liked mcleish too :wink: i mite be mistaken as just goin by memory & not googled to check but did Advocaat not get us to the last 16 then stepped up stairs & Mcleish took over if so then they both got us to the last 16 so eoro record the same? :21:

I liked mcleish too :wink: i mite be mistaken as just goin by memory & not googled to check but did Advocaat not get us to the last 16 then stepped up stairs & Mcleish took over if so then they both got us to the last 16 so eoro record the same? :21:

Nope.

An Amoruso fuck up at home to Monaco cost Advocaat a place in the last 16.

Why do you always call Advocaat Mr Advocaat but never give McLeish & Smith the same level of respect?

Partly as the last time I called him Dick I was told that sounded a bit gay.

On Europe, reading through the thread this morning, if we never had that Kahn/Mols moment then we really might have went through that night and also that Amo mistake also - two massive moments.

As for Celtic (Tumshie's point, what about the Rod Wallace Final or the day we won the league through the superb Neil McCann?

Why do you always call Advocaat Mr Advocaat but never give McLeish & Smith the same level of respect?

On Europe, reading through the thread this morning, if we never had that Kahn/Mols moment then we really might have went through that night and also that Amo mistake also - two massive moments.

As for Celtic (Tumshie's point, what about the Rod Wallace Final or the day we won the league through the superb Neil McCann?

If you read my post I stated his last 18 months where we finished almost 20 points behind celtic in 00/01 and were already 13 points behind them when he moved upstairs.

Nope.

Every manager has there hard luck stories, with the money he spent 2nd phase should have been a minimum expectation.

If you read my post I stated his last 18 months where we finished almost 20 points behind celtic in 00/01 and were already 13 points behind them when he moved upstairs.

Which is an embarassment.

Considering the money he spent I think he should have been out the door far sooner than he was.

Nope.

cheer i was thinkin of the uefa cup last 16 then wen put psg out on pens & Advocaat moved upstairs :wink:

Advocaat was entertaining in the technical area gesticulating and kicking every ball.

I think McLeish got lucky in his qualification to the last 16, under Advocaat we outplayed some right big names. Bayern shat it in their own midden, we were all over them and they were lucky to take anything from that game.

Smith has been woeful in the CL proper with only a handful of wins out of 30 odd appearances. Understandable this time round with the lack of finance while the market for players runs away heading for the 100 millions but first time round we looked pretty inept at times.

I remember the claims at the time it was due to the different style of play in Scotland to Europe so we had to alter our style and approach to play in the CL and it was very difficult to switch between the two.

In Scotland you could put in challenges that would get you red carded in Europe and Smith felt many of our players didn't know how to deal with it. In Scotland it was just get stuck in, in Europe there was some uncertainty in the play.

Some of the performances we put in under advocaat in Europe were absolutely sensational, even when we got beat we played great. The bayern game was so unlucky and games like sturm Graz, psv, bayern at home were all greAt performances. Smith had a good season in 92/93 and that was it for his first spell with loads of money to spend. We didn't even play as good football either.

There's no denying that Smith will need to change his approach in Europe next year.

It's fine in two-legged knockout rounds, but we really need to look at attacking a bit more in the group stage. We were horrific last year.

Advocaat was entertaining in the technical area gesticulating and kicking every ball.

I think McLeish got lucky in his qualification to the last 16, under Advocaat we outplayed some right big names. Bayern shat it in their own midden, we were all over them and they were lucky to take anything from that game.

Smith has been woeful in the CL proper with only a handful of wins out of 30 odd appearances. Understandable this time round with the lack of finance while the market for players runs away heading for the 100 millions but first time round we looked pretty inept at times.

I remember the claims at the time it was due to the different style of play in Scotland to Europe so we had to alter our style and approach to play in the CL and it was very difficult to switch between the two.

In Scotland you could put in challenges that would get you red carded in Europe and Smith felt many of our players didn't know how to deal with it. In Scotland it was just get stuck in, in Europe there was some uncertainty in the play.

You are not lucky to get into the last 16 of the Champions League!!

at the end of the day he couldnt get anywhere near o'neill, something that big eck done twice with fuck all moneu and less talented players.

But i'll never forget the first two seasons, probably up there with the most exciting seasons in our history. Winning tne league at the piggery, a treble, watching the likes of gio, numan, in our squad. Watching us tear apart future european champions only to lose an equaliser in injury time. Great times.

Thanks for those first two seasons, i could live them over and over again for the rest of my life.

Advocaat was very unlucky in Europe. In 1999-2000 we beat Parma over 2 legs (who'd just won the UEFA Cup and finsihed 2nd i think in Serie A) just to qualify. We then had a proper group of death - bear in mind our Euro co-efficent was pants then thanks to Walter's CL embarrassments.

Group F

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

Valencia 6 3 3 0 8 4 +4 12

Bayern Munich 6 2 3 1 7 6 +1 9

Rangers 6 2 1 3 7 7 0 7

PSV 6 1 1 4 5 10 -5 4

Valenica that season were one of the best teams i'd seen - Mendieta, Lopez etc at their absolute peak - and were only beaten by Madrid that season in the final of the CL. Bayern made it to the semi-finals that year as well (this was when there were 2 different group stages as well instead of starigh knockout after group stages). Bayern we horsed at home - but were only leading 1-0 when they got a dodgy free-kick 30+ yrds out in the 93rd minute, and scored a deflected trundling free-kick. As mentioned above we gave them another doing in Germany (Mols injury :anguish: ) hitting the woodwork on 5 seperate occasions when we only needed a draw.

We absolutely deserved to go through that year and who knows what would have happened.

Then the following season we were through again until Amo's late blunder. It's all what-ifs but had Mols not been injured i'd have expected us to take one of our many chances in Germany and progressed much deeper into the competition. Can you imagine us playing the leading Italian or German sides off the pitch now?

Walter Smith is great manager. Only other manager who has dealt with the financial restraints like the ones now was McLeish (another great manager and now proving it in England). If Eck hadn't done what he done the tims would have done 8 in a row and we would have been considerably weaker.

Advocaat won LESS trophies than McLeish and spent MILLIONS

Those who feel Advocaat is a touch on Smith are arseholes.

One thing I don't understand is, Why does he keep getting heavy duty money time and time again?

Advocaat is a better tactician than smith, and plays better football than smith does. Smith is a legend and has done so much for this club but advocaat knows how to turn z game...smith doesn't. There's never a plan B.

He did a great job for us.

He was brought in to make us a force in Europe and he failed.

Smith has also failed in this respect but any criticism of him is met with a barrage of abuse.

smith made a uefa cup final on a fraction of what advocaat had to spend

He did a great job for us.

He was brought in to make us a force in Europe and he failed.

Smith has also failed in this respect but any criticism of him is met with a barrage of abuse.

smith made a uefa cup final on a fraction of what advocaat had to spend

What's your point?

Zenit won it.

Advocaat was very unlucky in Europe. In 1999-2000 we beat Parma over 2 legs (who'd just won the UEFA Cup and finsihed 2nd i think in Serie A) just to qualify. We then had a proper group of death - bear in mind our Euro co-efficent was pants then thanks to Walter's CL embarrassments.

Group F

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

Valencia 6 3 3 0 8 4 +4 12

Bayern Munich 6 2 3 1 7 6 +1 9

Rangers 6 2 1 3 7 7 0 7

PSV 6 1 1 4 5 10 -5 4

Valenica that season were one of the best teams i'd seen - Mendieta, Lopez etc at their absolute peak - and were only beaten by Madrid that season in the final of the CL. Bayern made it to the semi-finals that year as well (this was when there were 2 different group stages as well instead of starigh knockout after group stages). Bayern we horsed at home - but were only leading 1-0 when they got a dodgy free-kick 30+ yrds out in the 93rd minute, and scored a deflected trundling free-kick. As mentioned above we gave them another doing in Germany (Mols injury :anguish: ) hitting the woodwork on 5 seperate occasions when we only needed a draw.

We absolutely deserved to go through that year and who knows what would have happened.

Then the following season we were through again until Amo's late blunder. It's all what-ifs but had Mols not been injured i'd have expected us to take one of our many chances in Germany and progressed much deeper into the competition. Can you imagine us playing the leading Italian or German sides off the pitch now?

or getting by them to get to a european final....nah could never happen.....