Alastair Johnston - is this man really our Chairman?

contacts

I dunno about anything else but Johnston shouldn't be conducting business through the papers. It's really not helping.

Every day a different Rangers player appears in the papers saying "hurry up". This all looks designed to put pressure on somebody to make a move.

Who knows if Ellis is genuine or not, but he's still there. I can't see any reason he would still be there if there was any huge problems. It is more than likely just loads of smaller ones being negotiated, together with organising the finance. It may also be the case that there is a standoff with the bank.

I did a quick check on the takeover panel website and there are loads of companies that have been under offer since late 2009 so this due diligence period is not unusual.

All we can do is hope the takeover goes through, whether Ellis or someone else, and we can move forward.

If there is no takeover, I think we will be out of the game for years. With a budget like Hamilton, no manager and most of the key players gone.

I simply don't buy into the doom and gloom rumours and I firmly believe that we will buy this summer. The rumour of £5 million being mooted as a budget, to me seems feasible given that we have Champions League money coming in.

Johnston, Bain, Muir, Smith etc all had meetings with the bank about outlining the budget for the season and we've as yet to hear how that went.

Perhaps it's blind faith, but I honestly think that the playing side of things is on an even keel and the budgetry constraints there are not being tightened.

For me, any playing staff movement in or out will not only suppliment a budget but will be at the bequest of the manager - i.e. if Walter thinks that Boyd is worth a new contract, he'll offer him the better terms that he is seeking to stay at the club and if he deems selling Bougherra good business then that'll happen too.

Nothing will be enforced on him.

I don't think we need a huge player spending spree this season? Shameless FC have shot their wad (financialy speaking) and are in the bargain basement department of Bosman's, loans, free transfers. Walter only needs a few players to freshen up the squad and it's on to 54. (tu)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno about anything else but Johnston shouldn't be conducting business through the papers. It's really not helping.

Every day a different Rangers player appears in the papers saying "hurry up". This all looks designed to put pressure on somebody to make a move.

Who knows if Ellis is genuine or not, but he's still there. I can't see any reason he would still be there if there was any huge problems. It is more than likely just loads of smaller ones being negotiated, together with organising the finance. It may also be the case that there is a standoff with the bank.

I did a quick check on the takeover panel website and there are loads of companies that have been under offer since late 2009 so this due diligence period is not unusual.

All we can do is hope the takeover goes through, whether Ellis or someone else, and we can move forward.

If there is no takeover, I think we will be out of the game for years. With a budget like Hamilton, no manager and most of the key players gone.

I simply don't buy into the doom and gloom rumours and I firmly believe that we will buy this summer. The rumour of £5 million being mooted as a budget, to me seems feasible given that we have Champions League money coming in.

Johnston, Bain, Muir, Smith etc all had meetings with the bank about outlining the budget for the season and we've as yet to hear how that went.

Perhaps it's blind faith, but I honestly think that the playing side of things is on an even keel and the budgetry constraints there are not being tightened.

For me, any playing staff movement in or out will not only suppliment a budget but will be at the bequest of the manager - i.e. if Walter thinks that Boyd is worth a new contract, he'll offer him the better terms that he is seeking to stay at the club and if he deems selling Bougherra good business then that'll happen too.

Nothing will be enforced on him.

The heartening thing is that apart from Davie Weir there are no players that we desperately need to replace due to age (Some might argue that isn't the case with Davie either)and we are still a pretty tight unit as a squad. A fact that Celtic have found out at their cost over the last 2 seasons. Apart from players who may express an interest in wanting to leave I think we are no closer to "having" to sell players than we have been over the last 2 seasons. If we managed to retain Bougherra and persuade Boyd to stay I'd say we were in reasonably good shape good into the new season considering the circumstances.

Also, again, why is no one wanting to bash down the door of Donald Muir any more?

Is it a case of that everyone has witnessed the job that he has done making the club a much more viable option for someone to buy? All of the doom and gloom mongering and chinese whispers about massive player cuts haven't happened have they? We sold Mendes, that was a football decision. Players are out of contract, they are leaving, that appears to be a football decision.

Maybe some apologies should be heading toward Muir...

:pipe:

Some of us called it that way some time ago:

http://home.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=263%3Arangers-protests--qdonald-muir-the-saviour-withinq&catid=41%3Afinances&Itemid=1

There are arguments for and against AJ being over here. For me, it can be summed up:

AJ had the wherewithal and now, as Chairman, the excuse, to spend the last few months of a hugely important season for Rangers over here and to attend every match. That's something he has not been in a position to do for many years. He chose to spend his time in the US instead. Who amongst us, put in the same financial and official position, wouldn't have jumped at the chance of following our team religiously for a few months? I suggest every one of us here would have attended every single match. AJ chose not to. It's his choice, but it's not the choice I would have made.

Also, again, why is no one wanting to bash down the door of Donald Muir any more?

Is it a case of that everyone has witnessed the job that he has done making the club a much more viable option for someone to buy? All of the doom and gloom mongering and chinese whispers about massive player cuts haven't happened have they? We sold Mendes, that was a football decision. Players are out of contract, they are leaving, that appears to be a football decision.

:pipe:

http://home.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=263%3Arangers-protests--qdonald-muir-the-saviour-withinq&catid=41%3Afinances&Itemid=1

Before i joined the online Rangers community i was rather naive as to the inner workings of the Ibrox hierarchy, but my eyes have certainly been opened to their machinations over this protracted takeover bid. The whole Muir 'enemy within' protest was an organised opportunity to piggyback and highjack ordinary supporters concerns about clarity and turn it into personal vendetta against Muir by parties with an agenda to gain control of our club.

Before i joined the online Rangers community i was rather naive as to the inner workings of the Ibrox hierarchy, but my eyes have certainly been opened to their machinations over this protracted takeover bid. The whole Muir 'enemy within' protest was an organised opportunity to piggyback and highjack ordinary supporters concerns about clarity and turn it into personal vendetta against Muir by parties with an agenda to gain control of our club.

The online community and supporters hierarchy is just as much fun... :ph34r:

The online community and supporters hierarchy is just as much fun... :ph34r:

:D:D My respect for you grows by the day :D

The intentions of the organisers were honourable.

It was the hingers-oan that hijacked the situation for their own political reasons.

I understand that AJ as a chairman doesn't necessary have to spend every day actually at the club, but as he professes to be a Rangers man, I find it incredulous that when he had the opportunity to be here for a longer period of time he didn't bother, to me that raises the question as to where his loyalties actually do lie?

As for the proposed Ellis takeover, there has been more shadows cast over this, is he working on his own as he originally reported or is he actually heading a consortium? If it's a consortium is it possible that one of the financial backers is suddenly having doubts about making an investment and therefore maybe the finances aren't available at this moment in time.

Or as been rumoured, is the Ellis takeover actually a ploy generated by members of Rangers (SDM & friends), to try and get those that have talked the talk about taking over actually put their money where there mouth is.

Irrespective of any of that, AJ, Walter and Co have followed some proper procedures by having meetings with the bank to plan for this new season rather than sit and wait in case nothing does happen, I just hope that the news we have about budgets is more positive than being reported without hard facts and that we keep Walter and the majority of the squad for the new season with a few additions.

I understand that AJ as a chairman doesn't necessary have to spend every day actually at the club, but as he professes to be a Rangers man, I find it incredulous that when he had the opportunity to be here for a longer period of time he didn't bother, to me that raises the question as to where his loyalties actually do lie?

So he doesn't have business interests and family in the States that might limit the amount of time he is able to spend here?

I think it is pretty obvious that influential and high-profile businessmen like Johnston or Murray will struggle to give a huge amount of their time to the club - either in a formal business sense or informally by attending every match, every week.

That's why we appoint a CEO to essentially run the club on a day-to-day basis. Bain doesn't come cheap either. IMO, as long as those who are appointed to the important jobs do them well and those who are in the directors roles make themselves easily available for consultation, I'm not overly fussy about their week-to-week locality.

Can someone's love for the club be judged on how often they attend Ibrox and their ability to do so? Possibly in some cases but I find it a bit churlish to do make such criticisms as no-one knows anyone's personal circumstances.

To examine the issue from a different direction, one could ask why Andrew Ellis has yet to attend a Rangers match? One would have thought a prospective buyer would be eager to see for themselves what they're buying... :ph34r:

So he doesn't have business interests and family in the States that might limit the amount of time he is able to spend here?

If it's true that he had the opportunity to spend approximately a couple of months here but didn't then I question the commitment.

I think it is pretty obvious that influential and high-profile businessmen like Johnston or Murray will struggle to give a huge amount of their time to the club - either in a formal business sense or informally by attending every match, every week.

That's why we appoint a CEO to essentially run the club on a day-to-day basis. Bain doesn't come cheap either. IMO, as long as those who are appointed to the important jobs do them well and those who are in the directors roles make themselves easily available for consultation, I'm not overly fussy about their week-to-week locality.

Can someone's love for the club be judged on how often they attend Ibrox and their ability to do so? Possibly in some cases but I find it a bit churlish to do make such criticisms as no-one knows anyone's personal circumstances.

To examine the issue from a different direction, one could ask why Andrew Ellis has yet to attend a Rangers match? One would have thought a prospective buyer would be eager to see for themselves what they're buying... :ph34r:

How do we know he hasnt? Maybe has and just hasnt let on to anyone. Perhaps has has attended games and not let on the club he was going to it.

The intentions of the organisers were honourable.

It was the hingers-oan that hijacked the situation for their own political reasons.

Whilst it is true that the organisers had been fed stories which were not based on fact, when they were questioned on the protests aims and targets they resorted to the usual name calling and prophesising the imminent death of Rangers if you didn't turn up to shout at Donald Muir.

How do we know he hasnt? Maybe has and just hasnt let on to anyone. Perhaps has has attended games and not let on the club he was going to it.

He may well have done but if he was in the Director's Box, he'd have been spotted.

Generally speaking if Ellis had been to Ibrox, I think it would have been leaked by now.

To be fair, I don't think he's been to see a game since he indicated he might want to buy the club, but at the same time we are Glasgow Rangers, you don't need to attend a game to know that you would be taking over one of the best supported clubs in the world that has so much tradition, history and success. :)

Donald Muir imo(for what its worth) has done a decent job for us. Wether he was forced upon our club or not hes done what he was there 2. I always say i dont know much regarding the business side of the club but for me the shite threw at him at the time of the protests were uncalled for. He was doing his job wether put there by SDM, the bank or the tweenies.

Guest therabbitt

pipeb.gif

http://home.rangersm...nances&Itemid=1

We should release an updated version of that since that his credibility has pretty much been reinforced since he has been at Rangers.

pipeb.gif

We should release an updated version of that since that his credibility has pretty much been reinforced since he has been at Rangers.

Dont do that Rabbit or were doomed a tell ya. I was just finishing painting my enemy within banner on the works bog rollrolleyes.gif

Guest therabbitt

Donald Muir imo(for what its worth) has done a decent job for us. Wether he was forced upon our club or not hes done what he was there 2. I always say i dont know much regarding the business side of the club but for me the shite threw at him at the time of the protests were uncalled for. He was doing his job wether put there by SDM, the bank or the tweenies.

He's been dignified in his handling of the rubbish that was thrown at him that's for sure. He stuck to his task, performed astutely (thus far), wasn't bogged down with wasteful ripostes to his dissenters and for me at least, has proven that he has the best interests of the club at heart in his assigned task.

That is not to say that Johnston/Bain etc don't have the best interests of the club at heart though. People are just manifesting their dedication in different ways at a time when everyone is just doing their best to get us through this situation.

Guest therabbitt

pipeb.gif

Dont do that Rabbit or were doomed a tell ya. I was just finishing painting my enemy within banner on the works bog rollrolleyes.gif

I was just hoping that me saying that would ping a lightbulb above Boss' head...

pipeb.gif

I was just hoping that me saying that would ping a lightbulb above Boss' head...

Woner if an apology will wing its way to him? Wouldnt hold my breath tho!

his credibility has pretty much been reinforced since he has been at Rangers.

I disagree.

Muir may or may not have done a good job but it is difficult to tell until our manager signs a new contract, the future of several players (out of contract or not) are secured and our operational strategy/budget for the coming season made clear.

The ownership issue also appears to be something Muir is directly involved in and we have no way of knowing how well that will turn out.

To be clear, I'm not sure Donald Muir is the 'enemy within' but neither do I think he's the saviour. ;)

his credibility has pretty much been reinforced since he has been at Rangers.

I disagree.

Muir may or may not have done a good job but it is difficult to tell until our manager signs a new contract, the future of several players (out of contract or not) are secured and our operational strategy/budget for the coming season made clear.

The ownership issue also appears to be something Muir is directly involved in and we have no way of knowing how well that will turn out.

To be clear, I'm not sure Donald Muir is the 'enemy within' but neither do I think he's the saviour. wink.gif

What im trying to get at tho Frankie is, hes not exactly the mad axeman that people had us believe. I will name no names boogie.png

Is the criticism of Johnston now that he doesn't attend enough matches? Well we knew where he lived when he was made a director, and when he was made Chairman so perhaps that criticism should be levelled at those that appointed him. Not being able to attend, in person, every match or even the majority of them, hardly disqualifies you from carrying out your role as Chairman. The man has lived in the US for most of his life, he must have ties there that would make uprooting and moving 'back home' more than difficult. I'm also unsure what purpose it would serve in terms of carrying out his role.