Alastair Johnston - is this man really our Chairman?

contacts

I will say one thing in defence of Johnston (as if he needed my backing).

At least he has never bad-mouthed the Rangers support (or Glaswegians in particular) in the same way that the Edinburgh-based shyster has.

Bastard!! angry.gif

.. errr tahts a new one on me - seen him accused of many a thing but bad mouthing our support or weegies is news to me.

Clossetted Loyal

From 1997:

He said: "The Rangers supporters are different from Celtic's in this respect.

"Celtic have gone public, many of their fans have stumped up hard money to buy shares, which in turn has helped finance their stadium, and as a result, I sometimes think their supporters feel greater loyalty to the cause.

"They actually feel a part of what's been created.

"Rangers fans still have to buy their season tickets and I'm not dismissing that.

"But they basically got the stadium for nothing - and some of them have had it too easy for too long."

His comments are bound to rile some fans who are angry at the team's lack of success in Europe.

However, Murray feels these are changing times for the club's followers. He said: "One of our problems right now is that we're trying to change our traditions, we're trying to re-educate

our supporters. Ten or 11 years ago, for instance, our average support was something like 20,000. Now it is up to 50,000 and some of these people haven't known what it is like to lose or to be down."

... and thats it ? hardly in the Gerald Ratner realms of customer critique!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say one thing in defence of Johnston (as if he needed my backing).

At least he has never bad-mouthed the Rangers support (or Glaswegians in particular) in the same way that the Edinburgh-based shyster has.

Bastard!! angry.gif

.. errr tahts a new one on me - seen him accused of many a thing but bad mouthing our support or weegies is news to me.

Clossetted Loyal

From 1997:

He said: "The Rangers supporters are different from Celtic's in this respect.

"Celtic have gone public, many of their fans have stumped up hard money to buy shares, which in turn has helped finance their stadium, and as a result, I sometimes think their supporters feel greater loyalty to the cause.

"They actually feel a part of what's been created.

"Rangers fans still have to buy their season tickets and I'm not dismissing that.

"But they basically got the stadium for nothing - and some of them have had it too easy for too long."

His comments are bound to rile some fans who are angry at the team's lack of success in Europe.

However, Murray feels these are changing times for the club's followers. He said: "One of our problems right now is that we're trying to change our traditions, we're trying to re-educate

our supporters. Ten or 11 years ago, for instance, our average support was something like 20,000. Now it is up to 50,000 and some of these people haven't known what it is like to lose or to be down."

... and thats it ? hardly in the Gerald Ratner realms of customer critique!

I don't know what CanadianBacon was referring to, but being compared unfavourably to the scum has never been my view of our support. Each to their own though.

To say that we got the stadium for nothing is just a bare-faced lie. No surprises from Murray there.

Only Canadian Bacon knows what he's referring too, but I doubt it is that somehow.

In terms of the stadium issue SDM worded that badly however I think he meant that for a large percentage of the Rangers support Ibrox has always been a state-of-the-art mainly seated stadium. For the Tims this is was a relatively new thing, as was success on the pitch.

To be fair to SDM he's made sure we appreciate the good times more now though.....