Belfast

martin93

I'll be there.

Just to let some know that as it stands there is a slight doubt hanging over the 'Brian Robinson' parade this year following the recent shooting on the Shankill.

thanks for the heads up i will kold off booking my flights till i hear about it

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there.

Just to let some know that as it stands there is a slight doubt hanging over the 'Brian Robinson' parade this year following the recent shooting on the Shankill.

thanks for the heads up i will kold off booking my flights till i hear about it

Brian Robinson parade is still going ahead , never any doubt. Go on pulse and look for yourself , plus I'll be over for the 12th :D

The brother of a UVF man, who killed a Catholic in 1989 and was later shot dead by soldiers, has appealed to those organising a parade in his memory to postpone it this year.

Brian Robinson was one of two UVF gunmen who murdered Catholic man Patrick McKenna on the Crumlin Road in August 1989.

Robinson was shot dead just minutes later, a short distance from the scene by an undercover Army patrol.

Since then parades have been held in the memory of Brian Robinson.

But now his brother Rab has made what he calls a 'heartfelt' plea to those who organise the parade to consider postponing this year's event after the death in April of another brother, Stephen Robinson.

In a statement passed to UTV, Rab Robinson said:

"I want to make an appeal to the organisers of the Brian Robinson Memorial Parade that they would consider postponing the event this year.

"This request is because of the recent passing of the youngest family member, Stephen Robinson, who died on the 9th April 2010. "

"I want to make a heartfelt plea to those who organise the parade in memory of my brother Brian, that they would postpone the event in order that the family might be allowed to continue the process of grieving our recent loss. Stephen is the fourth member of my family to have died in the last twenty years," he added.

"I would also ask the organisers to consider the format of the parade for the future in the interests of pursuing peace and reconciliation between the Shankill and Ardoyne communities. This would enable the family of Paddy McKenna to move on with their lives and remember their loss in a peaceful and dignified manner.

"My greatest desire for the people of the Shankill is that there can be a time of healing from the pain of the past and the emergence of renewed hope, particularly for the next generation growing up in our society."

Raymond McCord whose son, also called Raymond, was murdered by the UVF said the loyalist group has no interest in Brian Robinson's memory.

"This is a day out for UVF members. It's a money making exercise. It's nothing to do with the memory of UVF members," he said.

The Robinson family circle later released a statement to "fully distance itself" from the claims.

"The unacceptable interference from these individuals in no way represents the feelings or opinions of the Robinson family, in fact, over the years, the parade has served as a much appreciated source of comfort and support to our family."

"We do not wish for this parade to be postponed now or at any time in the future", the statement added.

The Robinson family circle also denied any individual ever profited from the Brian Robinson Memorial Parade.

Meanwhile, a rally in memory of Shankill murder victim, Bobby Moffett, who was shot dead by UVF members in May, which was planned for Belfast City Centre on Saturday, has been cancelled.

Organisers said they wanted to call for an end to all UVF activity.

http://www.u.tv/News/Calls-for-cancellation-of-UVF-parade/79c31b19-2855-49e3-ba74-1ecbafe6be04

The brother of a UVF man, who killed a Catholic in 1989 and was later shot dead by soldiers, has appealed to those organising a parade in his memory to postpone it this year.

Brian Robinson was one of two UVF gunmen who murdered Catholic man Patrick McKenna on the Crumlin Road in August 1989.

Robinson was shot dead just minutes later, a short distance from the scene by an undercover Army patrol.

But now his brother Rab has made what he calls a 'heartfelt' plea to those who organise the parade to consider postponing this year's event after the death in April of another brother, Stephen Robinson.

"I want to make an appeal to the organisers of the Brian Robinson Memorial Parade that they would consider postponing the event this year.

"This request is because of the recent passing of the youngest family member, Stephen Robinson, who died on the 9th April 2010. "

"I want to make a heartfelt plea to those who organise the parade in memory of my brother Brian, that they would postpone the event in order that the family might be allowed to continue the process of grieving our recent loss. Stephen is the fourth member of my family to have died in the last twenty years," he added.

"I would also ask the organisers to consider the format of the parade for the future in the interests of pursuing peace and reconciliation between the Shankill and Ardoyne communities. This would enable the family of Paddy McKenna to move on with their lives and remember their loss in a peaceful and dignified manner.

"My greatest desire for the people of the Shankill is that there can be a time of healing from the pain of the past and the emergence of renewed hope, particularly for the next generation growing up in our society."

Raymond McCord whose son, also called Raymond, was murdered by the UVF said the loyalist group has no interest in Brian Robinson's memory.

"This is a day out for UVF members. It's a money making exercise. It's nothing to do with the memory of UVF members," he said.

The Robinson family circle later released a statement to "fully distance itself" from the claims.

"The unacceptable interference from these individuals in no way represents the feelings or opinions of the Robinson family, in fact, over the years, the parade has served as a much appreciated source of comfort and support to our family."

"We do not wish for this parade to be postponed now or at any time in the future", the statement added.

The Robinson family circle also denied any individual ever profited from the Brian Robinson Memorial Parade.

Meanwhile, a rally in memory of Shankill murder victim, Bobby Moffett, who was shot dead by UVF members in May, which was planned for Belfast City Centre on Saturday, has been cancelled.

http://www.u.tv/News/Calls-for-cancellation-of-UVF-parade/79c31b19-2855-49e3-ba74-1ecbafe6be04

His mum released a statement its going ahead as planned.

Nope but going over on the 9th of August till the 12th of August for the Glentoran game.

book for another 2 days and get to Londonderry on the 14th

bands from all over NI down for the apprentice boys and the Black Skull from Glasgow lead it.

Best parade all year round

Gents - assistance required.

I am talking the family for the first time. My kids are young but love watching and singing. Where would be the best place to go to see a great walk?

Obliged

BDHK

Londonderry on the 14th of August ABOD parade or to the 12th in Belfast or Portrush, i'm heading to port myself should be good. (tu)

I am talking the family for the first time. My kids are young but love watching and singing. Where would be the best place to go to see a great walk?

Obliged

BDHK

The Lisburn Rd in Belfast on the 12th day would be the best place to stand with your family, mate.

Obliged

BDHK

last year we were at the entrance to the park and there is a great grass bank there with a great view.burger vans etc just across the road.but get there early for a decent view

That was a false statement and the family confirmed it last week.

THE PARADE IS GOING AHEAD.