Walter's class -- once again

cooper1989

Never, ever would the scum give us any credit. But Walter -- being The Rangers Manager, and quite clearly, a man of character, and class, actually can give the scum credit.

This is what makes us soooo much better.

Quote: (From the beeb)

When we're able to invest in our teams we can do well in European football, we've shown that even over the last few years - Celtic beating Manchester United at Celtic Park and others, we had a notable run ourselves a couple of years ago (reaching the 2008 Uefa Cup final).

Could anyone imagine lemon/liewell/dr. death etc... Giving us due props?

Never.

Walter Smith. Manager of The Rangers FC. :praise::praise::praise::praise:

He has to get the "K". Has to. Sportsman, makes a difference and almost single handed, saved a British Footballing Institution.

I agree Cooper.

I myself wouldn't have mentioned them but Walter respects Celtic as a club. Being manager and playing against them so many times, it's understandable.

He is a class act, and it shows even with small things like this. :)

I agree Cooper.

I myself wouldn't have mentioned them but Walter respects Celtic as a club. Being manager and playing against them so many times, it's understandable.

He is a class act, and it shows even with small things like this. :)

Aye mate... And it's why we pick up on it. let's face it.. we (the OF) NEED each other. The OF board's have always realized this and do respect each other. (You always need to respect your 'opponent'. Not to do so is sheer folly.)

Walter though, speaks from his heart -- is an honest man -- and why he himself likes 'honest' players a la Broadfoot. (ok that's a stretch).

But above all, Walter is an honest man -- and does not hide behind any pretense -- real or imagined.

He'll definitely leave come the end of the season but I dream that he stays. He is a living legend of Rangers Football Club. In 60 years time, I'll be sitting in Ibrox with my best friend, talking about Walter Smith.

Walter Smith will get critisism all day long, all week long on here and elsewhere till the end of the season, last season or not. For one thing or another, let's not be churlish here. I'm a great fan of Walter, but then I always have been. I've been following Rangers since he first arrived and long before then. I've been critical of him too at times, there isn't a manager in history who hasn't suffered critisism at one time or another. Let us all make sure we get behind the legend that is Walter and HIS team this season and give him a final season to remember. And embrace Ally as his successor, because it is going to happen. We simply have to place our faith it that. Let's face it, he has more experience already than Lennon. :21:

Walter's far from perfect, but he's the type of guy that when he's gone - you won't know what you've had until you've lost it.

Sometimes I'm not his biggest fan - but he deserves a mention in the honours list. No doubt about it.

Walter Smith will get critisism all day long, all week long on here and elsewhere till the end of the season, last season or not. For one thing or another, let's not be churlish here. I'm a great fan of Walter, but then I always have been. I've been following Rangers since he first arrived and long before then. I've been critical of him too at times, there isn't a manager in history who hasn't suffered critisism at one time or another. Let us all make sure we get behind the legend that is Walter and HIS team this season and give him a final season to remember. And embrace Ally as his successor, because it is going to happen. We simply have to place our faith it that. Let's face it, he has more experience already than Lennon. :21:

Brilliant post mate. Spot on. :21:

Walter's far from perfect, but he's the type of guy that when he's gone - you won't know what you've had until you've lost it.

Sometimes I'm not his biggest fan - but he deserves a mention in the honours list. No doubt about it.

I think at the end of the day -- he has been around long enough to have his critics. We all do.

As Walter said

Forgive the paraphrase...

Alex just told me not to look for confrontation. As a manager it WILL find you and when it does -- be prepared.

The original quote:

“The best bit of advice I had about football management,” says Smith, sitting in his office at Murray Park, “was that you should never go looking for confrontation.”

And who was the Zen-like creature who offered this counsel, who was the Dalai Lama of the terraces who provided this nourishing morsel of wisdom? “Sir Alex Ferguson,” he answers deadpan, before breaking into a guffaw. “No, seriously, he told me that when I went to work with Scotland in 1986. He repeated it when I was his assistant at Manchester United [2004]. Honestly, I can testify Sir Alex never goes looking for confrontation. He can deal with it when it arrives, however.”

Postscript: And.. so can Walter.

Hes only 62 , we should be getting another decade out him!

What a 'slacker'? Anyway.. time to look after the missus. She must be treated in a grand fashion I'm sure. But surely, Walter needs to devote 100% attention to his family? He's been in the game for ~40 years or so? A bloody good innings.

Favourite pic from last year? Wattie holding his Grand-Daughter. Magic. Spoke volumes about the man!

This is why Walter Smith has such a good record against Celtic. It's because he respects them and knows them inside out as well as knowing Rangers inside out. There is no better way to beat them enemy than knowing their tactics and beliefs.

His respect for Celtic will really annoy their fans as they don't understand the concept of having a manager that can give a true account of his own club as well as praising and respecting others who have achieved in the same sport.

Walter is a gentleman first, football manager second. The way all of our managers conduct themselves. That's why our manangers where suits and not shellsuits on matchdays. It's a sign of respect and dignity at being allowed the wonderful opportunity of mananging such a great club.

Dignity and respect are two things Lennon will never gain.