Two Man United Players Offered To Us

FlippinEck

Last season, I wonder who they were?

"Even last season, I offered him two players on loan and he couldn't take them on because of their salaries."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100913/sir-alex-expects-tough-test_2254024_2152891

SIR ALEX FERGUSON says Rangers are a better side than they were last season and he expects a tough test from them tomorrow night.

The Manchester United manager will pitch his team in against his former club as the Champions League group phase gets underway.

It will be the third time he has taken on the Ibrox outfit in his capacity as the Old Trafford boss, having faced them twice in the competition back in 2003.

United won 1-0 at Ibrox and 3-0 in England back then but Ferguson is adamant it's far from guaranteed his men will be victorious again this time.

He has pinpointed Steven Naismith and Vladimir Weiss as key players for SPL champions and clearly feels they'll have big roles to play on matchday one.

Ferguson said: "It won't be easy for us. We've been faced with the problem where teams are well organised many times and they have come to Old Trafford with a gameplan.

"We've always had to do something about that and that will be the case again tomorrow night.

"I think Rangers are organised and bringing in Naismith and Weiss, they are better than they were last year.

"If you look at their performances away from home in the Champions League last season, they were very, very good.

"They drew at Stuttgart and only lost 1-0 to Sevilla and I think you can expect that type of performance from Rangers tomorrow.

"They'll not have any problems with their temperament or their fitness and that's what I'd expect from them."

The tie pits Ferguson up against his close friend and former colleague Walter Smith, whom he has worked with both with Scotland and United.

He has nothing but admiration for the Rangers manager, who has got the club winning trophies again despite a reduced budget in recent seasons.

Smith has been restricted thanks to the debt accumulated by Gers and Ferguson is adamant it's to his credit that he has kept his men competitive regardless.

He added: "I couldn't believe it when Walter told me what the debt was and I find it really surprising he can't get the players he has needed.

"Celtic have spent quite a lot of money this summer so it's a challenge for him to do a job with more or less the same players.

"Even last season, I offered him two players on loan and he couldn't take them on because of their salaries.

"That's a terrible predicament he's got but Rangers won the league again last year and you've got to give it to the manager.

"Walter has galvanised his team and he's made a silk purse out of a sow's ear really. His performance has been absolutely phenomenal.

"You always have to assess the manager you are going to be facing as well as his team. That's definitely part of it.

"I know Walter personally and he has worked with me twice. I know how astute he is and how good a tactician he is.

"I can see that little brain is working at the moment so I'm expecting a tough game from his team."

He added: "I couldn't believe it when Walter told me what the debt was and I find it really surprising he can't get the players he has needed.

That is a really interesting quote, is he surprised because the debt is not a great deal in todays football climate?... and therefore cannot fathom why Walter has not been given a bit of cash to spend?

That is a really interesting quote, is he surprised because the debt is not a great deal in todays football climate?... and therefore cannot fathom why Walter has not been given a bit of cash to spend?

Indeed, as compared to Man Utds ocean of debt, ours is a mere puddle.