Andrew Shinnie & Ross Perry

barryboy165

Have noticed with interest that both players have been mainstays of the Scotland Under 21's, however, when it comes to Rangers, Walter seems to be preferring Wylde and Hutton of the younger group of players.

As I am overseas I unfortunately don't get to see a lot of the games, however, I just wondered if this was more from a positional sense, i.e Wylde is a left sided player which we don't have many of and Hutton is a holding rather than an attacking midfielder?

Can it be expected that Perry could break into the first team, as a successor to Danny Wilson? How about Shinnie as I believe Jamie Ness is also quite highly rated as well as Hutton?

Would be interested in thoughts and comment of those who may see these players on a fairly regular basis...

I was told,in the nineties, by a member of the youth coaching staff that Walter believed that if a young player had not broken into and getting games in the first team by the time he was 19 then he had no future at Rangers.So that may hold the key to the lack of chances McMillan, Shinnie and the older "young" players have been given in the second spell.

I peronally don't think shinnie, little, perry, bendiksen will ever come through to be regulars. Walter is right if you haven't made the breakthrough by 19, youl probably never get past squad player. That's not to say that rule always works. Mistakes can be made, ross mccormack being one. If I was a youth and reached 21 a la shinnie, I'd be requesting a transfer. Anytime after that, you start wasting your short career playing bounce games not even on the bench.

I was told,in the nineties, by a member of the youth coaching staff that Walter believed that if a young player had not broken into and getting games in the first team by the time he was 19 then he had no future at Rangers.So that may hold the key to the lack of chances McMillan, Shinnie and the older "young" players have been given in the second spell.

Why did they get a new deal then?

Questions like this come round and round again, and from me it's usually the same old repetitive answer!

It's a catch 22 situation for these players, who do you drop to give them a chance? One of the reasons why any club is successful is that they have a regular group of players who start games and if that group of players are winning games then at the end of the day that is all that really matters.

Personally speaking, I thought Perry would have been given game time in the league cup and was surprised he wasn't, in his earlier days he had been unfortunate with injuries which hampered his development, but I wouldn't give up on him yet, Weir can't go on forever, and unless Webster stops being injured then this will be his final season, then Perry really should be given a chance.

Other players are in the same position as Perry, it's difficult to replace a player who is playing in a winning team, start making too many changes and it could disturb the flow of the team.

Saying that, 7 changes against Dunferlime really took me by surprise!

Ross Perry and Andrew Shinnie both have the ability to play for the first team if given the opportunity but WS seems to prefer the more physical but less technical Kyle Hutton and Andrew Little.

Pardon?

Forgive me for finding this statement incredulous, Hutton is a very technically gifted player as well as having a physical presence for one so young, his ability to pass appears to be pretty top notch and he is excellent at breaking up play.

Perry, is a CB and in that area it is more difficult to displace a player, I might be wrong about Shinnie but I thought he was more of an attacking midfielder?

Again as I said in a different post, who do they displace?

Pardon?

Forgive me for finding this statement incredulous, Hutton is a very technically gifted player as well as having a physical presence for one so young, his ability to pass appears to be pretty top notch and he is excellent at breaking up play.

Perry, is a CB and in that area it is more difficult to displace a player, I might be wrong about Shinnie but I thought he was more of an attacking midfielder?

Again as I said in a different post, who do they displace?

Having seen KH play for the youth teams in the past couple of years he never showed a great deal of technical ability or range of passing but having heard reports of his display last week i stand to be corrected.

The simple truth is they will not be selected on a regular basis as WS will play a more experienced player out of position rather than show faith in a youth player

ally mcist and durrant really rate jordan mcmillan and are alwyas telling him so.

perhaps he will get his chance next year.

Questions like this come round and round again, and from me it's usually the same old repetitive answer!

It's a catch 22 situation for these players, who do you drop to give them a chance? One of the reasons why any club is successful is that they have a regular group of players who start games and if that group of players are winning games then at the end of the day that is all that really matters.

Personally speaking, I thought Perry would have been given game time in the league cup and was surprised he wasn't, in his earlier days he had been unfortunate with injuries which hampered his development, but I wouldn't give up on him yet, Weir can't go on forever, and unless Webster stops being injured then this will be his final season, then Perry really should be given a chance.

Other players are in the same position as Perry, it's difficult to replace a player who is playing in a winning team, start making too many changes and it could disturb the flow of the team.

Saying that, 7 changes against Dunferlime really took me by surprise!

I guess what I'm getting at is if Hutton and Wylde are featuring on a more regular basis, you would expect Scotland to pick them?

Either way, it's still great experience for Shinnie and Perry to be featuring in such games and will hopefully stand them in good stead should the opportunities arise in the first team....

I guess what I'm getting at is if Hutton and Wylde are featuring on a more regular basis, you would expect Scotland to pick them?

Either way, it's still great experience for Shinnie and Perry to be featuring in such games and will hopefully stand them in good stead should the opportunities arise in the first team....

Totally agree, I'm not sure who gets called up for what, but Hutton and Wylde are still legible for the under 19 Scotland squad.