What I'd Love to See...

Papa Sasac

Our midfield totally lacks creativity and guile when we have a centre pairing of McCulloch and Edu. We all cried out for Davis to be moved into the middle, and partnered by one of the two mentioned. That didn't work however, and he is back out to the right. I think we really need someone who is calm and composed on the ball, and knows how to pick out a pass. I've heard good things about Kyle Hutton, although I've not seen him play for us yet. I don't know if he can be that player just yet. A good example would be Pedro Mendes.

Ok his spell with us wasn't the greatest, but he had great ability. Some of his passing was fantastic, and although it didn't always work out, he was always looking to play a splitting through ball. I think we need someone in the mould of Mendes, and to be partnered by EITHER Edu or McCulloch. We shouldn't be playing two holding midfielders against weaker opposition, especially at home. I'm not a big fan of Edu, but I think he could become a great player for us if he ironed out his weaknesses, and would therefore be an obvious choice in the middle.

I obviously know funds are limited, and it may not be possible to pick someone up like this, which is why I am hoping this is how Hutton turns out. We would still have competition for the left wing area, with Davis staying put out on the right, where he has played his best football. This is just what I'd like, and is my opinion.

Not enough goals coming from midfield this year imo

This (tu).

That's the thing we've not had for a while, a goal scoring midfielder, maybe we should make a wee cheecky bid for van der vaart in January :sherlock:.

Edit - How the fuck have a forgotten about Naismith when I was typing that out ? Need a lie down.

Drop McCulloch, get Hutton or Edu in there.

Weiss - Davis - Edu/Hutton - Naismith

Don't like Weiss out on the left, it's not his position and he's struggling in it. Naismith has been one of our best players this season, even when featuring out on the left.

More often than not, the Edu and McCulloch central midfield partnership is pish. We may well have the best midfield, but it does struggle.

Not too keen on the Lafferty and Miller partnership, but it's what we will see until Jelavic and Beattie are back.

i agree there needs to be more creativity from the midfield. Naismith has played really well out on the right but someone else needs to step up. I also agree with another poster who stated that Edu and McCulloch shouldn't be playing at the same time. I'm not sure if Hutton is up to the task but perhaps its time to let him have a go. Perhaps next weekend.

We don't play 2 holding midfielders....

Edu is not a holding midfielder and has been playing a very attacking role for us most games.

McCulloch and Davis should be the midfield pairing because its the best pair our best 2 midfielders and gives the best balance.

McCulloch has done nothing too be dropped and neither has Edu to be fair, McCulloch sits in and keeps possession while breaking up play and allowing other players to go forward.

The people calling for Edu to be in beside Davis is just silly, it doesn't give us balance and you cant have 2 attack minded midfielders in the middle without a holding midfielder because it rarely works and it doesn't give you balance.

Hutton is a youngster who is similar too McCulloch, his passing is not great from what i have seen and the games I have seen him play he is big strong and just plays a simple pass too keep possession.

I agree with what you are saying tho and I think its just a case of Davis being out of form rather than it not working out through the middle and he should be played through the middle or dropped.

McCulloch has been poor in his last four games: Aberdeen, celtc, Killie and Inverness.

The midfield and team didn't struggle one bit when he was out. If your going to play McCulloch, then you have to leave out Edu, unless we are playing a different formation and tactics, like in Europe. This 4-4-2 in the SPL with Edu and McCulloch in the middle is a load of crap.

Possible see a different Lee McCulloch next season, when David Weir hands up his boots.

I think we are a bit short in the middle of the park tbh.

Looking at the long term, I still see Fleck as a central midfielder so he could play there and offer us something totally different in terms of bombing on and looking to get into the box late.

On the subject of midfielders I think if that Erememenko keeps impressing for Killie then it's just a matter of time until a lazy story linking both sides of the old firm with him emerge.

I also fully expect us to renew our interest in James McArthur in the next year if he continues to struggle to get into the Wigan team.

We miss kevin thomson. He is better than edu and mcculloch.

No we don't.

Kevin Thomson is better than neither.

Kevin Thomson and McCulloch offer the same defensively but McCulloch is better on the attacking front aswell as McCulloch having a better partnership with Davis.

Edu and Thomson are not similar players but Edu is stronger and faster and offers more going forward while Thomson is better in the tackle and picking up bookings.

We don't miss Thomson and I would like to know why you think we miss Thomson because results this season and the way we have been playing certainly wouldn't say so and he wouldnt offer us anything different than what we have now.

Sometimes we miss a cutting edge and Mendes could provide that killer pass so its fair to say at times we miss him but we don't miss Thomson one bit.

I can see him going abroad, but not to one of us unfortunately.

Just looking him up there, 2006 World Cup qualifying, he scored 8 goals, 4 of which were free kicks. He scored a free kick against St Mirren as well I believe. Would be better than what we have at the moment in terms of set pieces.