The Rangers broke my heart today

rab wilson

Not sure how many of you will read this. I'm not the most articulate of people, so any spelling mistakes or incorrect grammar, please bear with me.

I had to watch the game at home with my son today on sky. I said to him that although i had been to Ibrox 100's of times before, and seen countless OF games, I would have loved to have been there with him to pay my respects the 66 and the families and friends affected 40 years ago, and that we would stay till after the last supporter had left the stadium before we made our way out, win ,lose or draw. You see we can't afford to go that often together at the same time. The build up to the game this week has been quite emotional for me, as it has with thousands of others. To be honest I’ve never known anything quite like it, very surreal, also my desire inside to hammer celtic today burned more than ever.

We sat down with a beer to watch the build up to the game, watching the 4 veterans of 71, deeply upset older men from both sides of the divide pouring their heart out about that day, must admit seeing Tommy Gemmel, even as one of them, in that state of health, started making an already emotional, quite tough big bloke like myself, start to quiver inside and i could feel the tears were not too far away.

I was praying they would not show Colin Stein again as he was close to tears and that would tip me over the edge, but sure as fuck it cut to him next and that was it.

When that legend of a man started talking about how he got the blame for scoring that goal and causing those people to die, i just let it all go, and so did my son, that man must have been destroyed at the time inside his soul, and you can tell he is still.

My son and i composed ourselves and stood in the living room in total silence, and prayed that everyone in the stadium did the same, they did to a man, surely not a task to hard to ask, even of the animals in the broomloan.

Women, children and young men lost their lives that day, and regardless of what team they supported, even the most uneducated animal should be able to keep their mouth shut for 60 seconds and show some level of respect for them. I say this before some on here start saying well done the celtic fans for staying quiet (you know who you are).

Anyhow, silence through out, thank Christ, the whistle blew, we screamed at the tv as loud as if we had been there together. What I witnessed when the camera cut to the tunnel next was truly shocking - something that no other celtic manager would surely have done.

Neil Lennon eventually arriving trackside after the silence left me raging, but i could not get any words out, then I turned cold inside as I saw Thompson follow him. Fuckin animals, my mind started racing about what he and him were doing during the silence. If he was still available for selection to play, would this cretin have gone for a piss to miss the silence, and run onto the pitch to join his team afterwards?

I've always hated Lennon, more than anybody ever who played for them, but today there are just no words to describe what I feel about him. How Walter could shake his hand before the game i do not know. When you saw the pain etched on John Grieg and Billy McNeill’s faces( far bigger legend to them than he will ever be) as they carried the wreath, even Big Caesar himself must have been ashamed, no matter the excuse.

I thought to myself, "Please Rangers, for that alone don't let me down today, not fuckin today."

What i witnessed from the Rangers for the next 90 minutes was disgusting. I have seen us lose to Celtic lots of times before and you know it happens, it's hard to take, but today of all days, and in the manner in which they lost to the worst Celtic team i have witnessed at Ibrox, I for 1 just can't except that at all. Celtic was shite today, but those who disgraced the blue jersey should be hanging their heads in shame. All bar wee Jamie Ness who was magic. They should be made to explain to bears everywhere why they played in such a gutless cowardly manner, with no fight or desire, at times it looked like they were barely trying or bothered. Didn't muster a single shot on target in the whole game, it was a fuckin disgrace. Celtic didn't have to work hard to beat us.

There are some of the players who should be looking at themselves tonight in the mirror, wondering if they not only have the balls to wear our jersey, but whether they should drive to Murray Park tonight, clear their lockers, and just fuck off for good.

Coisty could not even look any of them in the eye as they came off the pitch; he was obviously ashamed of them, or to be associated with them.

Hearing they bastards behind the goal going mental was terrible enough, but as we humped the ball forward yet again with 14 minutes to go, i saw the vast empty spaces in the Copland road and the Govan and I finally blew a gasket.

People make excuses on here for the subway loyal being entitled to leave when they like, but given the dramatic manner in which that game ended in 71 you would have thought they would stay to the end today and just wait for transport like everybody else. You lot, please go down to the shops when Rangers are on the park, or whatever others do, and give your season tickets to some who really want to be there as you are as big an embarrassment, if not more so, than the absolute shite we witnessed on the park today.

It was a really dark day all round today. For everyone at Rangers.

I for one shall look at those who played for us today, when they run out against hearts, with a lot less affection, and that will take a long while to wane.

We may go on to win the title, but today the rangers broke my heart and disgraced the club. Gutted. I’m sorry I’ve bored you all.

No Surrender (from me anyway)

Rab

Colin Stein is the player who i feel worst for because people will have pointed the blame at him for scoring which is wrong on so many levels and it's been proven that wasn't how the disaster happened and by your post it's clear it has haunted the guy and will until his dying day.

some post (tu) it was my little brother he is 6, first OF game and after sitting watching that display i was ashamed and he was close to tears it broke my heart :( as soon as we left he was raring to go back for the next match though :21: but having to watch that and sitting listening to the scum and there sickening songs it fuelled my hatred for them even more but who cares about them WE WILL WIN THE LEAGUE ! :uk:

That is a real Rangers fan and how it feels to be a bluenose.

I feel today as kid when the news broke in 1971 that today was 40 years but for me and the oldies fresh as a daisy.

Dont be ashamed i feel for all that the worst the fams from the seventies would Never ever be outsung by Celtic

the result hurts but the crap mutes pissed me off more than the team .???

We can piss and scare europe we can outsung when Its Our day - stuff the abuse its the noisest at the wrong time .

Great post Rab as they let everyone down on this sad day when we were paying respect to our Absent Friends. I wonder what my father and grandfather, and all other Absent Bears be thinking from up above at a team that had no heart for fight for the battle.

To be honest they will not believe how one of the poorest scum teams managed to beat us today without so much as a fight.

Quite agree with everything Rab said. I couldn't see us scoring at all. The performance was extremely poor and was soul destroying to watch on television. Didn't realise that Lennon and Co missed the silence - WTF!!!

Quite agree with everything Rab said. I couldn't see us scoring at all. The performance was extremely poor and was soul destroying to watch on television. Didn't realise that Lennon and Co missed the silence - WTF!!!

Apparently he was making is way out when it started so had to stay in the tunnel. He couldn't walk out after it had started.

But he should have been there in time, everyone else was apart from him and some of his backroom staff

Very well put, I fucking love walter smith, but sometimes he really frustrates me, makes me question if he's the right man, second best for us is not acceptable, I take losing, I take losing to them, but in the manner which we showed no heart, no invention, no courage on a day as divining as today was,heartbreaking we need leadership on the pitch as much as off it, Im not sure if we will under new owners soon, but Im really hoping we can find direction and soon.

We may well go onto retain the title, but regardless when need a change of ethos on the pitch, we need some flair so badly, yes no Naismith or Jelavic, but we need some characters in the team, we need to find a threat at set pieces, we are embaressing at free kicks we need to find a guy prepared to dig the fucking ball at goal, not these spineless pricks we have at the moment.

I Apoligise for not reading your post fully but have done now.

Being a Colin Stein fan it is hard to discribe today and how he felt it wasnt his fault it wasnt his fault about the disaster as eye witnesses have confirmed.

I am shell shocked today more by our support than the team for once we were outsung and that is hard to take at home in an old firm game.

Agree 100% with you about today and it was a big let down ito the memory of the 66 due to the non event support .

It cannot happen again it felt worse than the uefa cup final must be the same glory fans. :anguish:

I wiz listening to a conversation between the 2 young(ish) guys behind me today, and I was astonished when they announced the minutes silence would also be for Avi Cohen, and 1 says to the other "Who was he"?

The other one replied "I think they said IVY Cohen or ABBY Cohen or something. I think he used to be a Rangers goalie".

I wiz fuckin fumin inside and really wanted tae say something, but thought better of it.

Can you imagine my joy when one of them tapped me on the shoulder and asked me tae sit doon 5 minutes before the teams came oot?!?!!?!?!?

He's fuckin lucky the security burd intervened!

There's hundreds of guys sittin in the hoose and the pubs watchin this game cos they canny get tickets, and these 2 cunts, whoever they were, have a ringside seat and don't even know why the fuck they are there themselves.

Twats.

I wiz listening to a conversation between the 2 young(ish) guys behind me today, and I was astonished when they announced the minutes silence would also be for Avi Cohen, and 1 says to the other "Who was he"?

The other one replied "I think they said IVY Cohen or ABBY Cohen or something. I think he used to be a Rangers goalie".

I wiz fuckin fumin inside and really wanted tae say something, but thought better of it.

Can you imagine my joy when one of them tapped me on the shoulder and asked me tae sit doon 5 minutes before the teams came oot?!?!!?!?!?

He's fuckin lucky the security burd intervened!

There's hundreds of guys sittin in the hoose and the pubs watchin this game cos they canny get tickets, and these 2 cunts, whoever they were, have a ringside seat and don't even know why the fuck they are there themselves.

Twats.

Should of gave them both a wee clip roon the ear, would of done them the world of good.

Well said Rab. Would love our players to read that post and realise just how much today meant. Wish they had only a fraction of ur passion for the gers and mayb we would have got somewhere today! As for that lennon prick, I felt exactly as u did, what a waste of oxygen that bheast is!