Two leagues of ten agreed?

RFC55

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast question:

In what way would a larger league be financially unviable? I could understand the issue of fewer Old Firm fans visiting multiple times a year, but if I am not mistaken, there was a BBC report a few months ago noting that fewer OF fans are travelling in any case. More to the point, however, is it not the case that lower division football in Scotland is hemorraging financially anyway? If money is to be in some way redistributed, I would rather it go to weaker teams in an expanded league than the situation at present.

Will watch the SPL regardless of its composition, but that is because that is the league in which Rangers compete. Cannot see this change winning new viewers from people who do not already follow the current SPL clubs.

Not sure where I stand on this.

10 League team seesm to be the way we get max TV revenue but playing each other 4 times per season is limiting

10 man league means Pressue means less youth and less expansive play

Bigger leagues means splits and play offs (split is a joke - playoffs worth some merit - are playoffs at lower end to happen ?

14 - 16 team leagues mean less TV money and smaller crowds

On the point of what the fans want I noted that while nearly 5000 were questioned they were spread over all 4 leagues evenly but the OF represent about 65+% of the support (IIRC) so a fair canvass should take that into account as smaller teams wants are different from ours ?

I am glad I dont have to decide but if cash is king and 10 teams generate most cash then it gets my support if not my enthusiasm.

The original reduction to a 10 team league, back in 1975 or 76 I think, was the start of the death of scottish football. It seemed at the time that the system worked because we had the sheep and the dundee scum winning the title, but that would have happened anyway probably because at that point Rangers were hitting a slump, the tims werent all that great either. It's bound to happen.

But what did happen was, a lot of clubs who, in a normal 18 team league might have a bad season and end 14th, suddenly found themselves in a lower division and no matter what you name it, a lower division is a lower division. People won't pay to see it as much, tv isnt interested and the pressure on clubs at the top is too immense. Remember in the fifties the tims twice finished outside the top 12 - in fact they came pretty close to relegation at least once I think?

The other bad side effect of a smaller league, therefore bringing more pressure on clubs who cant afford to be relegated is it hinders youth development. If you have so called meaningless end of season games, these are the games youth can safely be given a run out, with very little pressure indeed.

The fact is, Rangers and to a lesser degree Celtc will always dominate Scottish football no matter the size of the league. Reducing an already poor product back to an even smaller league wont make that product better and it wont make it more appealing to sponsors, tv etc. The fact as well being that most football fans actually seem to want a bigger league. But as usual, who listens to the fans, the people who actually, when all is said and done, pay the overinflated wages of those involved in the game.

A 18 team league would be ideal imo.

Scottish football was a force to be reckoned with when it was last like that,mid table teams can blood new talent with out the 'every point is a prisoner' attitude.

Plus ! imagine the championship getting alot tighter with teams such as hearts only playing between us and the mhanks 4 times a season instead of 8?

It would also create a refreshed enthusiasm in cup competitions!

RIP SPL

An absolute joke. i think that we should vote with our feet and let it be known that we do not want this boring tired idea. Maybe every support base boycotts one game. Probably be slaughtered for saying it but thats how stongly i feel. 10 teams will destroy scottish football

Spot on mate, this two leagues of ten nonsense just reeks of desperate gimmickry to me.

Yep, I think the SFA said something along the lines of it will add excitement to the game. It will do the exact opposite, I for one will be sick of seeing us playing the same teams 3/4 times a season. A stupid decision which will show after 1 season of introducing it.

Yep, I think the SFA said something along the lines of it will add excitement to the game. It will do the exact opposite, I for one will be sick of seeing us playing the same teams 3/4 times a season. A stupid decision which will show after 1 season of introducing it.

I suspect the prospect of more than one relegation spot may be the source of opposition to an 18 team league: Scottish football has seemingly been allergic to the idea for some time, and there'd be no excuse for only one team dropping from a group of 18. This whole reform looks set to be a missed opportunity before it's even been implemented.

I suspect the prospect of more than one relegation spot may be the source of opposition to an 18 team league: Scottish football has seemingly been allergic to the idea for some time, and there'd be no excuse for only one team dropping from a group of 18. This whole reform looks set to be a missed opportunity before it's even been implemented.

SPL - 18 teams

1st Division - 12 teams

2nd Division - 12 teams

- 2 relegated from the SPL each season; 2 promoted from the 1st Division into SPL

- 2 relegated from the 1st Division each season; 2 promoted from the 2nd Division into the 1st Division.

I think that set-up would be very effective but the SFA are going to take a step back. Disappointing.

Can someone be willing to explain to me the difference between two leagues of 10 teams with a 16 team league or a 18 team league? Since I understand best in a visual way, I am trying to grasp the concept of why having two leagues of 10 teams is a bad idea from the fan's POV.

Am I correct in understanding that SPL has a 12 team league?

Had to edit because I can honestly say that I didn't get a chance to read through this thread.

Can someone be willing to explain to me the difference between two leagues of 10 teams with a 16 team league or a 18 team league? Since I understand best in a visual way, I am trying to grasp the concept of why having two leagues of 10 teams is a bad idea from the fan's POV.

Am I correct in understanding that SPL has a 12 team league?

Had to edit because I can honestly say that I didn't get a chance to read through this thread.

Yes the SPL currently is a 12 team league. I am against the idea of reducing it to a 10 team league simply because I don't want to see each team playing the others 3 or 4 times a season. A fresh idea is required and adding more teams to the league is the best option IMO.

Yes the SPL currently is a 12 team league. I am against the idea of reducing it to a 10 team league simply because I don't want to see each team playing the others 3 or 4 times a season. A fresh idea is required and adding more teams to the league is the best option IMO.

Ok, currently most SPL teams play each team twice a season if I get it right.

Basically just the same as we have right now but with a bit more money for the teams.

Scottish football is fucked, we have idiots in charge.

Think about the postponed Rangers games, why the fuck didn't we play 1 or 2 of them in this space of 8 or 9 days we have free after the Celtic game.

Ok, currently most SPL teams play each team twice a season if I get it right.

a 10 team league would mean playing each team 4 or more times a season while an 18 team league would mean playing each other twice.

It just gets really boring and thats what is driving the fans away and then all the fans voted that they wanted an 18 team league but they still went ahead with a 10 team league.