Holloway Taunts Rangers

FlippinEck

I'll be the first to say that he was quite average at Ibrox, in no small part down to the fact that he never had a run in his natural position. Part of that was his fault though as he never really got himself fit.

Since then, he has gone south and done very well, got himself in shape and has undoubtedly been one of the better players in the EPL, as he was in the Championship last year.

I think there are a lot of sour grapes by people saying he is shit, overrated, etc. We are all entitled to an opinion but I think that you'll find most of the Managers down there, and ex players/pundits rate him very highly, with good reason.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He plays 4-4-3. Home or Away its 4-4-3.

Thats just a fcukin pipedream for us - we cant even play 4-4-2 at Ibrox against one of the worst defences in the SPL (rogne+baldyswede).

A Farmer?

Doesnt say a lot about or coaches, does it?

4-4-3? No goalkeeper, or they have 12 players?!?

I'll assume for one minute that you mean 4-3-3 and that you can't count; does that really make us a bad side for not playing that? Barca, Real, Arsenal and Bayern are all shit because they don't play that formation?

Any club has to play to their strengths, and you find out how good a manager is by how he gets the best out of the players that he has. While I do not always agree with what WS does (Europa Cup Final for one), he usually gets the very best out of the players, despite some of them being pretty average, hence the recent titles and Cup successes.

Best thing for himslef was to move on.

I loved Charlie - a true Bluenose, which is what I like to see at The Rangers as I am an old fashioned bigot, but he was the classic superstar in the west coast of Scotland and bevvy took hold.

It still has a hold of me in Thailand!!

WATP

4-4-3? No goalkeeper, or they have 12 players?!?

I'll assume for one minute that you mean 4-3-3 and that you can't count; does that really make us a bad side for not playing that? Barca, Real, Arsenal and Bayern are all shit because they don't play that formation?

Any club has to play to their strengths, and you find out how good a manager is by how he gets the best out of the players that he has. While I do not always agree with what WS does (Europa Cup Final for one), he usually gets the very best out of the players, despite some of them being pretty average, hence the recent titles and Cup successes.

Frightfully sorry, that was indeed a typo and should have read 4-3-3 and not 4-4-3 as stated and yes, I can count a little bit.

Barcelona and Arsenal do actually play 4-3-3.

Play to our strengths? One up top at Ibrox against one of the worst beggar teams in the last twenty years? Sorry but thats not playing to our strengths. I'm not having a go at Walter, he can as you say 'get the best out of his players' but at times, his tactics leave a lot to be desired.

I was in the crowd on January 2nd and that defeat was so hard to take and for me, the tactics were all wrong.

I just wonder how many games we could have won over the last 3 years - if we had went for the jugular.

Constantly played out of position and barracked by some of our support when he tried something and it didnt come off.

His confidence was shot to bits when he was at Ibrox.

To all my fellow Season Ticket Holders - Tell me you didnt see something in this boy.

He's got talent and we didnt know how to nurture it at Murray Park - but Ian Holloway does.

Good Luck Charlie, I hope you get your dream move son!

(tu) (tu)

Frightfully sorry, that was indeed a typo and should have read 4-3-3 and not 4-4-3 as stated and yes, I can count a little bit.

Barcelona and Arsenal do actually play 4-3-3.

Play to our strengths? One up top at Ibrox against one of the worst beggar teams in the last twenty years? Sorry but thats not playing to our strengths. I'm not having a go at Walter, he can as you say 'get the best out of his players' but at times, his tactics leave a lot to be desired.

I was in the crowd on January 2nd and that defeat was so hard to take and for me, the tactics were all wrong.

I just wonder how many games we could have won over the last 3 years - if we had went for the jugular.

I don't agree that Barca or Arsenal regularly play 4-3-3, certainly not in the true sense of the Dutch teams of bygone years. The term has changed somewhat over the years as some people will say that if teams play a midfield diamond, or a "midfielder behind the front two" that this constitutes 4-3-3...anyway, I digress...

As for WS and his tactics, as I said, I don't always agree with them (and yes, the Bheggars game was a good example) but I think he often does play to our strengths. Let's look at the Europa Cup Final run. Do you really believe with the players that we had at our disposal we would have reached the final playing 4-3-3? I don't think we would. He built the team on being difficult to break down and maybe he still has some of that.

I think that we are probably better equipped to play 4-4-2 now than we have been for some time (a big part of that is down to Weiss being able to play as a genuine wide man) and a couple of players who are capable of playing on the left (be nice to see Kerkar get a run!).

I guess my point is that with some of the players that we have had recently, certainly in comparison to the past and with the financial restrictions, he has done incredibly well picking up league titles and cups so, I'm not about to start second guessing his tactics, even if I would like to see us be a bit more adventurous sometimes. He has proven that he has what it takes.

I don't agree that Barca or Arsenal regularly play 4-3-3, certainly not in the true sense of the Dutch teams of bygone years. The term has changed somewhat over the years as some people will say that if teams play a midfield diamond, or a "midfielder behind the front two" that this constitutes 4-3-3...anyway, I digress...

As for WS and his tactics, as I said, I don't always agree with them (and yes, the Bheggars game was a good example) but I think he often does play to our strengths. Let's look at the Europa Cup Final run. Do you really believe with the players that we had at our disposal we would have reached the final playing 4-3-3? I don't think we would. He built the team on being difficult to break down and maybe he still has some of that.

I think that we are probably better equipped to play 4-4-2 now than we have been for some time (a big part of that is down to Weiss being able to play as a genuine wide man) and a couple of players who are capable of playing on the left (be nice to see Kerkar get a run!).

I guess my point is that with some of the players that we have had recently, certainly in comparison to the past and with the financial restrictions, he has done incredibly well picking up league titles and cups so, I'm not about to start second guessing his tactics, even if I would like to see us be a bit more adventurous sometimes. He has proven that he has what it takes.

Look, I'm not taking anything away from Walter and what he did for us after taking over from PLG but some of his tactics in domestic football are, and I'm sorry to say it, just friggin awful. I could probably talk about numerous games that we could have won but didnt due to the tactical decisions but the beggars game sticks firmly in my throat as it does for thousands of other Bears.

That was one of the most painful days I've had at Ibrox for a very long time when, and I totally believe this, 4-4-2 and the three points were ours.

We MUST be more attacking at home in the SPL.

I see that you are in Australia and I would just like to wish everyone over there all the very best as its been horrendous for you all lately.

I'm glad Charlie is doing well down there he's playing under a decent manager who is obviously playing him in his best position...We have a recent history of playing players well out of position & allowing some players to become porkies with lack of training...One thing I'll always remember was the gazza interview at training saying its easy here we just jog about at Lazio I'd have done XYZ by now....

I hope Bain had the brains to have sell on clauses when he let charlie go for buttons..

I'm glad Charlie is doing well down there he's playing under a decent manager who is obviously playing him in his best position...We have a recent history of playing players well out of position & allowing some players to become porkies with lack of training...One thing I'll always remember was the gazza interview at training saying its easy here we just jog about at Lazio I'd have done XYZ by now....

I hope Bain had the brains to have sell on clauses when he let charlie go for buttons..

From what I've heard, we get 20% if Charlie moves clubs.

He has done well down there because he has more time and space to use the ball.He is playing in a team with far better movement, or shouls I say players who are prepared to move to provide angles and options.He is also being coached by someone who watches games and has changed his tactical philosophy and ideas and who prefers skill to strength.Fitness has also improved dramatically and he can last more than the 20 minutes that he could with us without struggling.

Yes Holloway, 134 years and counting of Rangers FC and Charlie Adam leaving is the biggest mistake we will ever make lol.

Rangers did the right thing by letting him go it helped his career which was going nowhere at Rangers.

Look, I'm not taking anything away from Walter and what he did for us after taking over from PLG but some of his tactics in domestic football are, and I'm sorry to say it, just friggin awful. I could probably talk about numerous games that we could have won but didnt due to the tactical decisions but the beggars game sticks firmly in my throat as it does for thousands of other Bears.

That was one of the most painful days I've had at Ibrox for a very long time when, and I totally believe this, 4-4-2 and the three points were ours.

We MUST be more attacking at home in the SPL.

I see that you are in Australia and I would just like to wish everyone over there all the very best as its been horrendous for you all lately.

Well, I think that in the main we seem to agree... As I've said, there are certainly times I also get frustrated with the tactics but in the main, I'm pretty happy and there is no one I would rather was the gaffer right now. Maybe I'm also cutting him some slack due to the loyalty that he has shown, when many others would have walked away.

Thanks for the kind wishes regarding the floods. I'm pleased to say that I am in NSW (Sydney - Ozblue is also in NSW) which in the main has been fine; it's Queensland that seems to have suffered so badly We have one or two Rangers Media guys up there actually, Brissy Gers is one, hopefully he is safe. Apparently they have declared 75% of QLD a "disaster area" now; roughly the same size of Germany and France added together...that's pretty horrific. Thanks again.

That's not taunting.

And in my honest opinion he has got a point add this to what leggo said in his blog the other day and it paints the bigger picture we are very guilty of getting on young Scottish players backs too quickly some of the abuse I hear from around me in the Copland is really over the top

I agree he wasn't going to get a regular place at centre mid for us and allowed the time to develop but the systematic abuse and criticism he got destroyed his confidence.

It ended up in the best interest for all concerned that he move on and I wish him all the best for his future career

Feel sorry for the lad.

I never ever boo or hassle a Rangers player but it seems our whole crowd love to do it.

This could have been a factor because if he tried one pass and it failed he was hounded.

He loved us and seeing what a player he has became it hurts me.