The MMA News Thread

Tam3r0wn

Little Nog has pulled out of the co main at 133 against Franklin. No replacement as yet.

Nog Injured

These injuries are getting unreal just now. You think its just bad luck, or that fighters are now just not fighting while injured after the UFC gave them insurance?

Ya bastard! That'll be amazing. Staying out for a couple of weeks?

Aye mate me and a couple of my mates are making a wee holiday out of it. Flying to Philly, heading to NY City, staying at a friend's Jersey Shore house, visiting Washington DC, going to see my mate's distant family in Maryland and then flying down to Orlando for a few days for some theme parks and nights out :P

All that coupled with my first live UFC event and it looks to be quite possibly the best holiday of my life!

Aye mate me and a couple of my mates are making a wee holiday out of it. Flying to Philly, heading to NY City, staying at a friend's Jersey Shore house, visiting Washington DC, going to see my mate's distant family in Maryland and then flying down to Orlando for a few days for some theme parks and nights out :P

All that coupled with my first live UFC event and it looks to be quite possibly the best holiday of my life!

:crywank:

You won the Euromillions?

Alistair Overeem is out of the SF heavyweight tournament. Says September is too soon for him to get in a proper training camp.something about an injured pinky toe as well. Daniel Cormier replaces him vs Bigfoot Silva.

Bigfoot would have mauled him anyway.

Can't link as im on my phone.

I'm not a big MMA guy, anytime I've watched it I've found it incredibly boring but I think I've just picked the wrong fights to watch.

However I sky+'d that UFC main events that they show on five last night and the Chuck Liddell Wanderlei Silva fight from UFC 79 was easily the best fight i've seen yet in terms of entertainment.

I'm certainly warming to it but I'm still not entirely convinced.

I'm not a big MMA guy, anytime I've watched it I've found it incredibly boring but I think I've just picked the wrong fights to watch.

However I sky+'d that UFC main events that they show on five last night and the Chuck Liddell Wanderlei Silva fight from UFC 79 was easily the best fight i've seen yet in terms of entertainment.

I'm certainly warming to it but I'm still not entirely convinced.

Once you learn about the sport and all the different styles etc you will warm to it.

If you can learn to truly appreciate the grappling aspects aswell and all the different positions etc then im sure you will enjoy it.

Ever seen Bonnar vs Griffin 1 ? the fight which put UFC on the map and arguably the best fight ever.

Fedor vs Cro Cop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BUzX2qg0AQ - only part1

Hughes vs Trigg 2 good short vid of one of the best comebacks ever -

!!!

Rampage vs Wanderlei Silva is probably the best trilogy ever(they both hate each other and had 3 great fights)

Shogun vs Nogueira

Manheof vs Cyborg -

Nogueira vs Cro Cop

Thats just some great fights and I have put a few links to them too.

Here is one I posted about a week ago(http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_PRIDE_33_Second_Coming_Nick_Diaz_Vs_Takanori_Gom?vid=10018225&tid=100)

Tons of great fights out there mate and its a very exciting sport(most of the time).

I forgot how crazy Liddell vs Silva was. The amount of huge shots Silva took flush on the chin without going down was ridiculous.

Chuck, on the other hand, went down any time he got caught clean. A left jab even put him down at one point.

Chuck definitely won the fight but the pro-Liddell commentary was embarrassing. There was one point when silva put him on his arse with a left hook followed by a right hand bang on the chin. Joe Rogan claimed it was Liddell who landed the good shot and slipped when he tried to move out of the way. They showed the replay in slow motion between rounds clearly showing Silva's two clean shots and again Rogan claims that Liddell landed a big right hand then slipped. It was ridiculous.

Cracking fight though.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf420h_don-frye-vs-yoshihiro-takayama_sport

Won't do much better than that to convince a new convert to the sport that it's something worth sticking with. Once you begin to watch it more you'll begin to appreciate the more tactical aspects of it, and there's much more of that to enjoy than you'll get from boxing or any other single discipline combat sport.

When you see someone like George Sotiropoulos, a wirey little man who looks about as strong as a nightclub vodka, using top level BJJ to dominate guys much bigger, it's a thing of beauty.

EDIT - That Cyborg v Manhoef fight isn't up to much. For pure, technique out the window and swing like a baseball pitcher mayhem, Leonard Garcia vs Chan Sung Jung from WEC48 is much better.

I forgot how crazy Liddell vs Silva was. The amount of huge shots Silva took flush on the chin without going down was ridiculous.

Chuck, on the other hand, went down any time he got caught clean. A left jab even put him down at one point.

Chuck definitely won the fight but the pro-Liddell commentary was embarrassing. There was one point when silva put him on his arse with a left hook followed by a right hand bang on the chin. Joe Rogan claimed it was Liddell who landed the good shot and slipped when he tried to move out of the way. They showed the replay in slow motion between rounds clearly showing Silva's two clean shots and again Rogan claims that Liddell landed a big right hand then slipped. It was ridiculous.

Cracking fight though.

Aye, a watched it after the Chisora fight and noticed this aswell.

Very bias commentary and its obvious because Chuck is really good friends with Rogan and Dana.

Some fight tho.

UFC - 133 Promo

The UFC markets very well and make some cracking previews/promos.

• 3 weeks later...

Big news (I suppose)yesterday with the UFC agreeing a 7 year deal to broadcast on Fox. Relly doesn't mean much to us, but a revamp of the TUF series seems interesting. Long overdue i think. Lots of news on this.

Fox Guy

Fox Deal

TUF Revamp

Also wanted to have a discussion about the PED issue in MMA, i tend to avoid MMA forums as they are full of fanboys and trolls. K-Sos said on the MMA Hour(good podcast) that he thinks around 85-95% of all fighters are on PED's of some sort. I think he may be right, training BJJ for a while the injuries and fatigue you get from that alone is unreal, and thats me three times a week. Training three times a day for 6-8 weeks must be hell. There's only so much a good diet can do for you.

Heres the link to K-Sos talking about PED use -

Soszynski on PED use

It would appear Dan Hardy will get one more fight in the UFC, after Lorenzo Fertitta said on his twitter that he wont be cut.

Chris Lytle has retired after beating Hardy, class fighter, quality entertainer and all round top lad. One of the guys that sold me on MMA. Never stopped(bar doctor stoppage)in his career, and went balls deep every time.

Best event I have ever seen on Sunday there, Hamman was impressive, Ludwig showed his striking skill, Ben Henderson beat the piss out of Jim Miller, Hardy and Lytle went for it the whole fight. Cerrone looks in top form also(cocky tit that he is).

If you missed it, get it watched!