Hey Walter! Why did we sign Bartley?

CanadianBacon

Why did we sign Bartley?

A young, fit and athletic centre-half from Arsenal (and Wenger can spot a player by-the-way) and stick him in midfield when the world and its granny can see Davie Weir's legs have gone.

Bougherra is a free spirit who needs a commanding centre-half in and around him.

Weir was that man - he no longer is.

I ask again - Hey Walter, why did we sign Bartley? :unsure:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did we sign Bartley?

A young, fit and athletic centre-half from Arsenal (and Wenger can spot a player by-the-way) and stick him in midfield when the world and its granny can see Davie Weir's legs have gone.

Bougherra is a free spirit who needs a commanding centre-half in and around him.

Weir was that man - he no longer is.

I ask again - Hey Walter, why did we sign Bartley? :unsure:

Cover but due to circumstance he has had to play Midfield.

Wenger also signed the fox in the box and has won nothing in six years.

Because he's a versatile player apparently.

He isn't really, Bartley mentioned he played in midfield once to Smith.

One of us should of warned him.

:rolleyes: Oh dear, started playing as a CF, also played many games, in midfield, and, played the last 6months at CB for Sheff Utd.. ergo, he must be just a centreback yeah?

Only thing I agree with in this thread is that Weir is done

Aye but after the motherwell game everyone was raving about him being a revelation in centre mid and how we were looking forward to him playing against celtic in this role ,or have we forgot about that already.Davie weir can probalby get by against most teams in the spl because we are better than them but when we go up a level ,ie europe or against septic he is more likely to get shown up for his lack of pace.The problem as i see it is he is club captain ect and it needs very strong management to drop him ,was this why webster left because he was never getting afair crack of the whip and knew no matter how well he played (inverness)he would be dropped .

:rolleyes: Oh dear, started playing as a CF, also played many games, in midfield, and, played the last 6months at CB for Sheff Utd.. ergo, he must be just a centreback yeah?

How many other players in the world of football started in differing positions and have been moved about before finding their natural position?

The first game he started for Arsenal, CB.

31 Appearances for SU, all CB. On leaving SU he is a 'defender'.

He deserves a players thread, he'll play in next years carling cup. Not sure about CM though, much rather see him being given time as a CB......he's built for the position.

Still can't understand this laughable loan move. Fail to see what he is learning playing out of position in a league the standard of League 1.

He was better off at CB playing for Sheffield Utd in a better league.

Weir 40 yr old playing CB.....Bartley's needed.

He looks a real centre back to me, it's a shame he is in midfield here. I remember his game in Greece for us, he played a good game with a very young team and he looked a leader to me. I still have high hopes.

Bartley is looking lost out there, he is not a CM.

He is not a CM and was never meant to be one. CB is where he has shined, so I hope they start playing him in his right position

All these Arsenal fans watching him here know he's a versatile player aswell aye? :rolleyes:

He's a CB thats that. I could of picked more than those quotes about him being 'out of position'.

CB that's his postition...he is trying to turn the lad into McCulloch...he looks exactly what we need at the back right now, some legs to keep up with the back line and general play!

Atm we're playing offside and we have player 5 yards behind it :(

But he will just replace webster with a place on the bench however he makes up the number for the Under 21's quota! :(

I hate WS's OF curveballs, I said all along that Bartley should not be thrown into midfield where he has experience from he was a wee guy! He is a Centre Back! Hitting Brown early is all he done well, If he had been Centre Half with Weir we wouldn't have lost such shitty goals.

I hate WS's OF curveballs, I said all along that Bartley should not be thrown into midfield where he has experience from he was a wee guy! He is a Centre Back! Hitting Brown early is all he done well, If he had been Centre Half with Weir we wouldn't have lost such shitty goals.

You make a good point mate. Not to say we would have won but a more mobile centre back would have made a difference

You make a good point mate. Not to say we would have won but a more mobile centre back would have made a difference

Even if Weir was closer to Hooper for the first he wouldn't have been able to take a touch passed him or he could have just fouled him. And the 2nd goal why is it the other 3 defenders are in sync and Weir is 10 yards behind everyone. The guy is not confident in playing high up the park, prevents us pinning decent teams in their own half and makes us awful at defending counter attacks.

He got found out big time, its time to hang the boots up. Or at least be cover.

Bartley said he used to play in midfield when he was younger but has played in defence for years now and CB is his primary position.

And it was 18 months he played CB for Sheff Utd.

How many other players in the world of football started in differing positions and have been moved about before finding their natural position?

The first game he started for Arsenal, CB.

31 Appearances for SU, all CB. On leaving SU he is a 'defender'.

All these Arsenal fans watching him here know he's a versatile player aswell aye? :rolleyes:

He's a CB thats that. I could of picked more than those quotes about him being 'out of position'.

I live in Sheffield, and, have seen him several times due to corporate events at the lane. I know his first game for arsenal was at CB. I also know where I personally think he would be ideally suited, but, just like the "arsenal fan" quotes, doesnt change the fact, that he started as a striker, and, played a lot in midfield, prior to his first arsenal start. Much like a certain Alan Hutton, who was a striker to start with.

You can be as uppity and smug as you want, he didnt come here, and, "become" a midfielder, or, play his first game EVER there under us. He has done it before. haha its not even a debate, the only debate is where he is better, and, based on his Shef Utd performances, without an experienced head beside him, he looks completely lost at CB.

The fact we HAVE to play a holding midfielder, because Weir is past it, and Boughera isnt as good as he thinks he is, nobody like McCulloch, but, look at the number of last ditch tackles he makes, and, having a defensive minded player in midfield like Bartley is the next best thing we have, in fact, probaly better.

I live in Sheffield, and, have seen him several times due to corporate events at the lane. I know his first game for arsenal was at CB. I also know where I personally think he would be ideally suited, but, just like the "arsenal fan" quotes, doesnt change the fact, that he started as a striker, and, played a lot in midfield, prior to his first arsenal start. Much like a certain Alan Hutton, who was a striker to start with.

You can be as uppity and smug as you want, he didnt come here, and, "become" a midfielder, or, play his first game EVER there under us. He has done it before. haha its not even a debate, the only debate is where he is better, and, based on his Shef Utd performances, without an experienced head beside him, he looks completely lost at CB.

The fact we HAVE to play a holding midfielder, because Weir is past it, and Boughera isnt as good as he thinks he is, nobody like McCulloch, but, look at the number of last ditch tackles he makes, and, having a defensive minded player in midfield like Bartley is the next best thing we have, in fact, probaly better.

Good info. Perhaps I am just clutching at straws hoping that we have someone who could naturally take over from Davie.

I know he's played in that position before I haven't disputed that. How many players, expect strikers, have gone through their career in one position. Does that mean that they can be played in that position aswell?

I wanted Bartley played in the midfield (as I knew Smith wouldn't drop Weir, were I'd really want Bartley) but only if we lined up with an attacking formation. There is absolutely no point playing him in with Mo Edu. He was a decent foil for Davis against Motherwell, but not when your other CM can't make a pass 5 yards to their own player. As he'll just be wasted.

You're right he didn't come here and become a midfielder, however, he did come here as a defender (tu)

Bartley needs to be played at CB if Smith persists with his tactics, even if he doesn't he still needs to be played their.