Rate SDM's Tenure

mortos

247 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate SMD's performance as chairman of Rangers FC

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But surely Murray had to authorise the spending ??

I mean you can hardly criticise him for allowing us to spend our way into debt then fail to give credit to him for allowing us to spend our way to 9 in a row.

We spent what we brought in (largely). He can't be given a huge amount of credit for that. It's far more important what players we bought and that credit has to go elsewhere.

I'm not saying that he should get no credit for NIAR, just that his part in it was relatively minor, although the club was fairly well run during that period.

If we are assessing Murray's time then we should be looking at the areas and issues that he is directly responsible for, which is what I tried to do in post 67.

If you read my original post I've stated that on the field we have had some of our greatest achievements during SDM's time.

Although great credit must go to SDM for appointing the right manager and for that I give him credit, but IMHO the manager is the most important person at the club and we have been lucky to have walter lead us. Especially in recent years without him I doubt we would have had the success.

Also what I find strange is that we don't hear about other successful teams chairman do we? I mean if Man Utd go on and say win the champions league and maybe the premiership (by the way i'm hoping for chelsea and barca on both) You won't hear people talk about how the Glazers have done a great job, they'll talk about Fergie.

I dont deny that tbh. The thread is about his tenure though. For me, every single person at our club from our owner to the guy who works the turnstyle has ONE AIM and ONE AIM only.

Thats to do their very best to ensure RANGERS WIN TROPHIES.

Wee Jean the waitress has a role to play in that as well in my book.

Thats my view. And for that reason, his tenure has been a huge success. (tu)

Im not sad however he is moving on, though i am very, very wary of Whyte. (tu)

:rolleyes:

I dont deny that tbh. The thread is about his tenure though. For me, every single person at our club from our owner to the guy who works the turnstyle has ONE AIM and ONE AIM only.

Thats to do their very best to ensure RANGERS WIN TROPHIES.

Wee Jean the waitress has a role to play in that as well in my book.

Thats my view. And for that reason, his tenure has been a huge success. (tu)

Im not sad however he is moving on, though i am very, very wary of Whyte. (tu)

Not alot I disagree with there.

I suppose we disagree on certain aspects but agree on other's fair enough :D

By the way I'm with you with being wary about Whyte but I think that is for another thread. ;)

Not alot I disagree with there.

I suppose we disagree on certain aspects but agree on other's fair enough :D

By the way I'm with you with being wary about Whyte but I think that is for another thread. ;)

(tu)

All I can say is he did a lot for Rangers.

I read Goram's article in the sun today, and he was saying what if Murray had taken over Ayr instead, I often wonder where Rangers would be if he had too

All I can say is he did a lot for Rangers.

I read Goram's article in the sun today, and he was saying what if Murray had taken over Ayr instead, I often wonder where Rangers would be if he had too

Probably the same place as when he bought us..........top of the league.

As a club we are as big as we can be in the league we are in.

Although our club finances always made headline (some good / most bad) you have to remember who was writting these headlines - mhedia Trols.

we have consistantly grown year on year, within par with our closest rivals and only bench mark within our league.

sure the things I'm mentioning is the club as a whole and many people have an input in this, our direction ultimately lay with SDM and he's done us alright.

I think if we had got into a european or english league back in the late 80's early 90's we would be, by now, one of the biggest clubs in football. although we are still one of the best supported clubs in the world, hte restrictions we face due to where we play our home football, sponsorship, finances and top players have still came to our club and this is all done by the board and our once fearless leader SDM.

Sure he used to throw all sorts of money into the club, but as soon as his other businesses started taking hits, he deflected alot of wolves from our door and had the ball to admit that someone else had to come into our club to safe gaurd our future.

All I can say is thanks for everything you've done for our club and I wish you all the best in what ever the future may hold for you.

Your once loyal servant

chAmpBeAr

Those votes for the last 3 :anguish:

I voted for the 2nd one..wasn't so good the last few years but overall I thought it was excellent.

The thing we want is success at Rangers and 36 trophies(I think) is a great return!

Speaking as someone who sat on the terracing at many a game in the late sixties,early seventies, with a clear view of the pitch,strolled round to the Broomloan Rd end at half time and then picked another spot to sit.

There is no comparison, results wise, to Murray's tenure and the previous 20 years.

I have always had major concerns about where all the money was going during these great years ,results wise.

We built a 44,000 capacity stadium,finest in Britain at the time, for 12 million. The money all came from the very successful Rangers pools. Run by the badly treated David Hope. Who warned everyone in the late eighties about possible future financial problems.

After DM took charge, we spent 20 million, to add just 7000 to the capacity.

Everything we built during his tenure appeared to cost so much more than any other team was spending on much larger projects.

Clubs were building 12000 seater stadia for 6 million.

We have lost the Albion and the Edmiston Club.

He just seemed to create an incredible tangled web of accounts. To this day, I am not sure if anyone really knows what has gone on financially at The Rangers.Time will tell regarding the Tax issue.

For me results great.

Finances crap.

Entertainment value on the pitch has been like roller coaster.

Gazza and Laudrup to ,you know who I mean.

Overall until the Tax problem is resolved The jury is Out.

Good shout , if we are found not guilty of any wrongdoing then he's a bit of a genius tbh

Speaking as someone who sat on the terracing at many a game in the late sixties,early seventies, with a clear view of the pitch,strolled round to the Broomloan Rd end at half time and then picked another spot to sit.

There is no comparison, results wise, to Murray's tenure and the previous 20 years.

I have always had major concerns about where all the money was going during these great years ,results wise.

We built a 44,000 capacity stadium,finest in Britain at the time, for 12 million. The money all came from the very successful Rangers pools. Run by the badly treated David Hope. Who warned everyone in the late eighties about possible future financial problems.

After DM took charge, we spent 20 million, to add just 7000 to the capacity.

Everything we built during his tenure appeared to cost so much more than any other team was spending on much larger projects.

Clubs were building 12000 seater stadia for 6 million.

We have lost the Albion and the Edmiston Club.

He just seemed to create an incredible tangled web of accounts. To this day, I am not sure if anyone really knows what has gone on financially at The Rangers.Time will tell regarding the Tax issue.

For me results great.

Finances crap.

Entertainment value on the pitch has been like roller coaster.

Gazza and Laudrup to ,you know who I mean.

Overall until the Tax problem is resolved The jury is Out.

Perception and reality!

Read the Board and you would think DM was the devil incarnate - look at the poll and with over 20 votes cast 56% are giving him and Aor a B and well over 80% a c or above. Reality is most people appreciate what DM did and achieved during his tenure, in fact very favourably, and I think that is correct.

so he wasn't allowed to run up debt for walter or dick but he had to do it for le guen...amazing double standards from his critics as usual.....

In football you need to spend within one's means. Is that too difficult a concept to grasp? With Murray we constantly seem to over spend or under spend. It's about spending ADEQUATE money PRUDENTLY. Not having to loan players from Aberdeen but not buying players you cannot afford either.

gets a B from me his critics will obviously just remember the doom and gloom of recent times but remember this man revolutionised not only Rangers but Scottish Football,our league would be even worse but for David Murray he brought us 9 in a row,a Champions League semi,record transfers for players with ability we are unlikely to see ever again. You cant forget aswell that without him the club wouldve been sold the the first dodgy bidder that came in. Recently things have been terrible but in my mind a few years with no money i wouldve taken to see players like Van Bronckhorst,De Boer and Jorg Albertz on the pitch at Ibrox. In my mind SDM is a Rangers legend because he took this great club to new levels, also a wise desicion to sell to another Rangers fan and im looking forward to seeing what Craig Whyte can do for us :crabflute:

Nearly 90% giving C or above. That's more than I would have thought but maybe we're all mainly happy bears this week.

Seems fair enough; I guess he'd be fairly happy with that response to a poll like this.

I'm not sure we'll ever see the likes of Gazza and Laudrup grace the team again (whilst we are in the SPL at least), but let's hope it's onwards and upwards from here under Whyte.

Murray deserves credit for the time, money and effort he put in. Sure he made mistakes, plenty, yes bringing in Advocaat was one of them. Distinction before he appointed Advocaat. As much as I loved the wee Dutchman, he pissed so much money up the wall with little growth. We were domestically dominant under GS and WS, nothing changed in that respect.

A manager with a little more tactical guise and some European competition success could have seen us do more in that area. Murray should have been a little bit tighter with the purse strings with the Dutchman as well, it amazes me today how much was wasted on dross players and OTT transfer fees. I believe that Advocaat was as much to blame for the mess the club was in up until a few days ago!

But history is history, I would good through it all again.