Whyte wants to keep Bougy, Davis, McGregor and Whittaker

I’ll pay you stay

WHYTE STUFF ... owner wants to keep Bougy, Davis, McGregor and Whittaker

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

CRAIG WHYTE last night vowed to cough up the cash needed to keep Rangers' best players.

Madjid Bougherra, Steven Davis and Steven Whittaker are all out of contract in 12 months.

Star keeper Allan McGregor's deal expires in 2013 but new owner Whyte is desperate for the Ibrox stars to STAY and has promised bumper new contracts.

He said: "I want to keep as much of the existing squad together as we possibly can.

"We will look carefully to see if there are better contracts available for players to remain here because I want to keep the best players here and we have the budget to do that."

Whyte has also vowed to give Ally McCoist a transfer war chest for new talent.

There is a £25million pot of money for the next five years.

But as SunSport first revealed £10m of that cash will be made available to the gaffer in waiting THIS summer as he seeks to shore up a squad which has been stretched to breaking point this season.

McCoist believes at least five new players will have to be drafted in to add more quality and depth to the squad for next season.

Whyte appears to have no issue with that and plans a face-to-face chat with McCoist sooner rather than later.

Whyte added: "I want to sit down with Ally - and I will be doing that this week.

"I want to know what his hopes and aspirations are for the team and what he feels he needs for the team for next season.

"I have said before that we will spend £25m over five years on the playing squad and I need to speak with Ally to see if that needs to be front-ended.

"Maybe we can spend a little bit more for next season if that is necessary.

"As I said I will speak to him about that and see what's happening there.

"The most important thing in the short-term is to win this championship and hopefully we can do that in our remaining matches this season."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3571796/Ill-pay-you-stay.html#ixzz1LtwIeEGf

I'm still a little apprehensive about McCoist being manager, but it's great to see that Whyte is going to back him to the hilt on this one.

That will be half the battle in my opinion.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well mate (tu)

Unsure about super ally taking the helm on a permanent basis.

I am certainly much happier about Ally becoming manager since the takeover, as regardless of his managerial ability he is always going to perform better if we have the best players available to us, whether that is keeping current players or adding to the existing group of players and with financial stability/money to spend then he is in a much better position than he would have been a week ago

Ok I know this sounds really pedantic but in my opinion he has just made his first mistake.

If he hasn't sat down and discussed the squad with mcoist or walter even,he shouldn't be talking to the press about any specific players.

How does he know mcoist doesn't want to move on any of these players to boost his transfer kitty.

Owners, chairmen, board members etc. should not talk about the playing squad in this manner who do they think we are fuckin hearts or something ?

Ok I know this sounds really pedantic but in my opinion he has just made his first mistake.

If he hasn't sat down and discussed the squad with mcoist or walter even,he shouldn't be talking to the press about any specific players.

How does he know mcoist doesn't want to move on any of these players to boost his transfer kitty.

Owners, chairmen, board members etc. should not talk about the playing squad in this manner who do they think we are fuckin hearts or something ?

Or it's a signal from Whyte that gone are the days where we have to sell our best players.

If Ally wants to move them on for the purposes of boosting his transfer fund, then it's in his best interests that they get new contracts aswell. Having a player tied down for three years puts us in a much stronger bargaining position than having him out of contract next summer.

The interview this article is based on was done for Rangers TV aswell, so in this instance it has nothing to do with talking to the press.

I don't think Bougherra wants to stay so I'm not fussed if he moves on.

The rest should all get contracts though.

I agree.

I'd like Bougherra to stay, but if he wont sign a new contract then we should sell him in the summer.

Love him as a player, but as a person i think he only gives a fuck about money.

No way should we let him stay next season, just to leave for free and get more money for himself.

Let him go to QPR and get relegated if that's what he want's :disappointment:

I would love to think that was true bluenose72 but unfortunately we are now a stepping stone to the English premier league.

We will always be able to attract good young players hoping to showcase their talents to watching scouts.

Jelovic in my opinion fits this profile another couple of seasons at most developing his skills and reputation and he will earn his big move down south.

No mention of papac there. Did someone on here say recently that sasa has sold his house though. MAybe ally doesn't fancy him, or has another left back lined up ?

THink he wants a crack at the EPL tbh

We have £25m to spend on the playing squad over the next five years. Do people realise that is less than we spent in the previous five?

Not including profit from sales though. If we receive all or even most of the funds raised from sales then we would be talking! Thats where the cash came from in those last 5 years, only time will tell if Mr.Whyte allows the same thing on top of the 25M he is funding.

We have £25m to spend on the playing squad over the next five years. Do people realise that is less than we spent in the previous five?

Who is to say that it will not be topped up by player sales and increased revenue coming into the club. After all we made a 13million profit while under the control of LBG. Now that the money doesnt have to be ring-fenced it can be ploughed back into Rangers.

Not including profit from sales though. If we receive all or even most of the funds raised from sales then we would be talking! Thats where the cash came from in those last 5 years, only time will tell if Mr.Whyte allows the same thing on top of the 25M he is funding.

His statement was quite pointed and he mentioned nothing about cash from any sales. Don't get me wrong, I've been calling for us to live within our means for years, but there is a general feeling that we will be going out and buying players from the likes of the EPL and the Bundesliga.

His statement was quite pointed and he mentioned nothing about cash from any sales. Don't get me wrong, I've been calling for us to live within our means for years, but there is a general feeling that we will be going out and buying players from the likes of the EPL and the Bundesliga.

Which is madness.

It seems some people have learned nothing over the past two & a half years.

Who is to say that it will not be topped up by player sales and increased revenue coming into the club. After all we made a 13million profit while under the control of LBG. Now that the money doesnt have to be ring-fenced it can be ploughed back into Rangers.

Exactly the type of thing I would expect a new owner to be shouting from the rooftops in an attempt to get the support onside right from the off. He didn't.

Exactly the type of thing I would expect a new owner to be shouting from the rooftops in an attempt to get the support onside right from the off. He didn't.

I can see your point of view Casey. The one fear i have is that Whyte seen these profits being posted and he pays himself back(hopefully unfounded).

He may reveal more in time....